The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

Hi Peter, a couple of questions :

Do you intend to market this as a kit someday ?

I saw this photo which includes your fuselage.

I wondered if, what looks like a 1/32 Ki-45 is yours as well.

If not do you have any knowledge regarding it ?

Keep having fun...

whatis.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike - no, I am afraid this won't be marketed as a kit, though if I had my way I would put out a 1/32 version in a New York minute!

so, a bit of progress..

I have been very fortunate to have been helped out by Ray Peterson (LSP_Ray) who in an act of great kindness sent me the engine parts from his 1/24 Kinetic P47 so I can have a bash at casting a couple of copies to hang on the wings of my Tigercat.

..these are one-piece mouldings of each cylinder bank and are a perfect basis for what I have planned - I just want to make sure I am very careful so I can return them in flawless condition. I spent a while thinking about how best to do it and decided on open moulds I can pour into and create 'halves' of each bank. The problem with this approach is that there will be seam lines on the very fine cylinder finning detail but to be honest I can't think of another way...

so lets see how it went..

..first bank was set in shallow plasticine...

WIP191_zpsab3cd0b8.jpg

...poured that mould & turned it over to capture the back face...

WIP192_zps16db27eb.jpg

..same for the other bank of cylinders..

WIP193_zpse7f4f848.jpg

..over a couple of days I got the four mould sections completed...

WIP194_zps4ff3cb04.jpg

..the Sylmasta stuff I use captures detail perfectly.. (I took the precaution of adding locating pins to the mould in case I have to fallback on putting the moulds together and casting the cylinder blocks as a one part casting..)...

WIP195_zpsf28006fd.jpg

..the first couple of pours looked ok - a few bubbles but its really all about the cylinders & they look fine...

WIP196_zpse0157259.jpg

..cleaned up the mating faces..

WIP197_zps28f8537f.jpg

WIP198_zps25eff66a.jpg

..now I have to say the jury is out on whether I do it this way - there are seams, and I am not too happy with how they dry fit as it is impossible to get the mating faces the same as the way the parts were split in the mould..

WIP199_zps8673789a.jpg

..maybe I might do it a cylinder at a time, maybe I will try casting half the complete part across it's lateral mid-point - I really don't know..

..that said, I did say at the start of this build that it was a bit of an experiment so I should not get too hung up on perfection & just press on or I will never get it finished...

thats it for now & thanks again to Ray for the parts loan :D

TTFN
Peter

thank you chaps :D

a bit more done...

..I have found the P47 engine is underscale and not at all accurate- the scale diameter of the 2800 is 55.9mm and as you can see here it is under and would look a little small in the cowling...

WIP202_zps5c9d7cb8.jpg

..I will be using parts of it though and will most likely just make new cylinders, so to start I scaled a photo to get some bearings...

WIP203_zps54e41df8.jpg

..I was looking for some rod or something of the right diameter and struggling to find an appropriate start point when I figured out the mouthpiece on my old electronic cigarette looked a reasonable double, so I got a couple and put them in the chuck of my drill to try and shape & add some fins...

WIP204_zpse8a87309.jpg

..glued them together and cut out the centre section - usefully there was also a bit of metal thread that looked like fins too so I left that on there..

WIP205_zps6d00a418.jpg

..CA'd some hard plastic stock together to get a basis for shaping the contours of the cylinder head...

WIP206_zps3648f783.jpg

..and started shaping...

WIP207_zpsedd3039f.jpg

..I still have a lot to do to get the shape right and I have to figure out how to represent the fins but at least I have a basic shape to work with..

WIP209_zpsdd28edc1.jpg

WIP208_zps6b3b570b.jpg

.. I then oriented myself a little by sticking some blank card shapes that are the outer dimensions of the rocker covers and are the angle & position of the top face where the actual cover pressing goes...

WIP211_zpsb3dca674.jpg

..then got some square stock and let in some tube at the right angle to take the pushrods... lots of bits & bobs & shaping still needed...

WIP212_zps7ab1e146.jpg

..after adding some of the shapes / parts I can see from references, I also cut the cylinder head part down to shape to let in the new bit...

WIP214_zpsf0a22c14.jpg

..now to the rocker covers themselves - I started by getting some references - these pics came from ebay! useful though as they show the subtleties of the casting and the shape / proportions from the gasket..

WIP210_zps774ecbf9.jpg

..started with a bit of rod & rounded the top, then ground out the rebates for the rear & mid fixings, then let in some rod stock to try and capture the round recesses for the mid fixings and finally mad a card sandwich to try & get the shapes of the front right.... this really was an excercise in decomposing a shape into parts that could be arrived at through invention...

WIP213_zpsa5f12283.jpg

WIP215_zpsb20edbdb.jpg

..and finally had the part nearly complete - I still need to add the bolt heads & think about whether to cast these caps as a separate part...

WIP216_zps91df9712.jpg

..and tacked with the cylinder head part...

WIP217_zpsa05d8e1a.jpg

..and finally, dry fitted with the cylinder...

WIP218_zps9262a357.jpg

WIP219_zps19731c8f.jpg

..so, getting there slowly but I do feel like this could be a rabbit warren I could be down a long time by the time I finish up the cylinder, (I still have the other rocker cover and the exhaust ports at the back to do...) try casting it, and then repeating the whole process for the rear cylinders which are different again..

..oh well, as we detail freaks say - I will know it's there...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well good evening chaps smile.png

thanks for stopping by..

..so, life has got in the way lately and I only had a little time at the bench in the last couple of days so there is only a little progress to show for it..

..first up, I made a mould of the rocker covers - after I added a few micro brass bolts to the corners...

WIP221_zps67495e5a.jpg

..made a couple of copies to use on the cylinder head master...  they look like little animal skulls...

WIP223_zps7f04a6e2.jpg

..then a bit of a make or break moment - I tried to represent the finning on the head casting by cutting very fine saw cuts into the head.... I also cut out the two sections where the new pushrod housings will go...

WIP222_zps12377368.jpg

...I added a dummy pushrod to help aligning the first one...

WIP224_zpse257dd0b.jpg

..then added the other and the little resin rocker covers on the tops...  the idea is this part (when I have done the back with the exhaust ports) will be cast separately though I am a bit worried about undercuts etc so will likely call in the experts...

WIP225_zpsb479d0be.jpg

WIP226_zps0a82ee66.jpg

..and then a dry fit with a couple of dummy pushrods and the front / top of the full cylinder is just about done...

WIP228_zpsdcf8b619.jpg

WIP229_zps50b209f0.jpg

WIP227_zps77af360f.jpg

WIP230_zps44d4f8a3.jpg

...need to get this wrapped up soon so I can get a casting to rework for the rear cylinder heads - the rocker covers there have a different layout and are canted in at an angle...

..also been looking at the nosewheel bay and cracking on with that as I need some aeroplane time as this has been pretty fiddly stuff so might need a little diversion..

so much to do...

TTFN
Peter

I think I have virtually finished the cylinder master for the front row...

first I set out where the exhaust ports are and added some short bits of ali tube...

WIP232_zps3d942c73.jpg

..then tried to build up the structure around them with bits of card, stock and CA as filler - I also added the fins in this area with the micro-saw again...

WIP233_zpsb4140dbd.jpg

...then shot some mr surfacer 1200 (carefully) to see the flaws that needed dealing with...

WIP236_zps4367270e.jpg

I added a bit of wire temporarily for the 'U' shaped pipe that runs between the rocker covers..

WIP234_zpsd76bcdce.jpg

..and the rear..

WIP235_zps4bddb9b1.jpg

..and dry fitted together - these two parts hopefully can be cast separately after I clean them up a bit..

WIP238_zps7a2c1c14.jpg

WIP240_zpsbe164ed5.jpg

..and again the rear - I blanked off the exhaust ports so when cast they just act as housings for the pipework that needs to fit to them..

WIP241_zpsec5c3a59.jpg

..and that's pretty much it - three weeks or so since I realised the Kinetic P47 engine I cast a copy of (thanks LSP_Ray!) wasn't really up to the shape/detail level I would be happy with, I have my first engine part...

sigh - good job I'm not in a hurry, just hope folks stick around long enough to actually see an airframe come out the other end of this saga unsure.png

TTFN

Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seasons greetings all smile.png

I hope you had a wonderful Xmas and are all set up for a great New Year...

Peter- I don't usually follow along with very many WIP's closely, but yours is always chock full of ideas, new techniques, and innovative ways of accomplishing what you set out to do.  Following along and enjoying the ride!

Thank you Daywalker - very kind of you to say so - I get most of my ideas from others I watch at work too, so hope I can help add to people's toolchests in how to do some things...

I have been a little tied up over the festive period so only got to the bench for a bit today... pressing on getting the nosewheel bay finished..

..first up a bulkhead at the very tip of the nose - I used plasticine to get a profile and carefully sectioned it with a blade to get a flat to derive the shape from..

WIP254_zpsef8ee3d1.jpg

..punched out and filed some slots and added details from brass and a couple of airscale PE bits for the brackets that hold the main nosewheel door hinges...

WIP255_zpsf7609acf.jpg

..and fitted in place..

WIP256_zpse9454a70.jpg

..there are two half-bulkheads I needed to make so started by cutting the shapes from card & adding brass - here I am using a punch to roll the brass into a nice clean edge part..

WIP257_zpsfc2b5d91.jpg

..added some rivets too and some brackets to the rear - here I am using a drill bit to ensure the brackets are aligned to the base so the torque rod that will go here is perpendicular to the roof..

WIP258_zps0c37d394.jpg

..also started to make up what I think is a retraction jack from bits & bobs...

WIP259_zps64a2cba2.jpg

..and dry fitting to make sure it all fits - the half-bulkheads are slightly diffterent shapes to compensate for the different wall thickness of the home cast resin lower nose - as long as the central view along the centreline is right this won't matter...

WIP260_zpsc0531af7.jpg

..and the roof as it will sit in the airframe..

WIP261_zps4d1425ae.jpg

WIP262_zps8c91473a.jpg

..thats it for now - I need to stick a sign on the nose saying 'DON'T GET LOST IN HERE' as I spent 3 months doing my last wheel bay to the utmost detail on a Sea Fury and to be honest no-one will ever see it coolio.gif  - I should just represent what is there and move on....

TTFN & Happy New Year

Peter

Happy New Year folks & thanks Jim smile.png

a little more done so another little update..

..first up, I routed out some of the bulkhead and foam filling with my new dremel flexi (Xmas pressie from Mrs A...wub.png ) to prepare for the rear bulkhead in the nosewheel bay...

WIP263_zps3a5d20c3.jpg

..made up a bulkhead from card and what I think is the rear cockpit of a 1/72 SBD Dauntless from the spares box - it is the right shape (or near enough) and added some details from brass and rivet transfers...

this part of the wheel well is pretty much enclosed by the partly open rear doors so not much will be seen anyway..

you can see some small model car PE cable seperators fixed to the top of the grey part - these will hold a bunch of pipework..

WIP264_zps9671f7b7.jpg

..got some wire & bent them to the size / shape needed...

WIP265_zpsec130955.jpg

..and with the pipework in place...

WIP266_zps624ecb0a.jpg

WIP267_zps1304aec6.jpg

..and in place.. I also added the two flanges (with the punched holes) that will hide the internal join between the lower nose casting and the fuselage, they will also strengthen it..

WIP268_zps31fbe03c.jpg

WIP269_zpse2fde1df.jpg

..and with the lower nose added to make sure it all fits...

WIP270_zpsf84c16a9.jpg

WIP271_zpsbfb8f061.jpg

..need to get the internals done here so I can paint the interior of the bay and add the nose, then finish & detail the fuselage, then build the cockpit & canopy, then build some wings, then build some tailplanes, then build some nacelles & engines, then some undercarriage, then it will be about 2017....

TTFN
Peter

Peter,

You never fail to surprise us with the topics you choose and then amaze us with your phenomenal buildings skills .. you are, truly, a Master Modeller; that's a fact that I believe cannot be denied.

It was great seeing you at Telford along with all your unique and essential products.

I'm so glad I "discovered" this extraordinary thread ... so glad that I can once again be enthralled with what you achieve.

Grant

awww thanks chaps smile.png

Grant, it was great to see you again at Telford - I missed you when you couldn't come last year - always a pleasure to catch up!

..not back to work yet so got a little bench-time and a bit more done...

..first a torsion arm that controls many things it seems, including the rear gear doors and is linked to the retraction jack so I guess sequences the order of things as the gear retracts..

..it is a wire core with bits of tube and a number of 'banjo' fittings from the model car world that allow a rod to be inserted at 90 degrees - also made up the arms that control the gear doors. I had to take the brackets off the assembly I made earlier so I could put it all together and lower it a bit so as not to foul the gear leg..

WIP272_zps8bb450a3.jpg

..I also modified the fuselage so I could add the rear bulkhead and have the whole bay as one slot-in assembly... will m ake things easier to work on...

WIP274_zps6b8c2988.jpg

..next I started to make up a compressor or something that goes in the rear gear bay - it doesn't seem to figure on restored Tigercats so may be something to do with the cannons, but I like the challenge and it fills some empty space...

used a bit of clear tube & started to dress with plastic & brass..

WIP273_zpsf8e00026.jpg

..added some airscale PE bits and made it up into a sub-assembly...

WIP275_zps32aaaa0e.jpg

..added it and some hose that runs the length of the bay - also mounted the torsion bar...

WIP277_zps78eb06c6.jpg

WIP276_zps76e67c40.jpg

..and some views of the bay so far...

WIP281_zps367a1a3d.jpg

WIP278_zps5e953a94.jpg

WIP279_zpsed09f3b9.jpg

WIP280_zpsbe1f1c7f.jpg

..few more bits to do and then hopefully I can prime & paint it - anyone any ideas on an acrylic match for 'Grumman Interior Green'?

TTFN
Peter

• Like 1

evening folks :)

Peter,
Your scratchbuilding is faultless and a joy to watch. Can't you just forget about painting it. Would be nice to show all the bits as made and from the different materials too.
Cheers
Cees

Thanks Cees - you better tune away - there is paint in this episode :ph34r:  - I must admit I like to look at the engineering in models too...

Peter,

fantastic....brilliant...no words...!!!

what tools and machines do you use?

All the best

Ted

Thanks Ted - very few actually, the only machine I have is a dremel - the rest are just standard kit - scalpel, ruler, files, rivet wheels & a punch set (oh and a micrometer..). I do have other stuff but really most work just uses the basics...

..so on with a bit more Tigercat mayhem and a few more bits and bobs done..

I started by refining the rear gear door aperture - a bit of cotton gave me a centreline and you can see here the lower part of the aperture needs correcting - a bit of work with a file and all was square..

WIP282_zps812d4968.jpg

..then added some internals to the lower nose casting...

WIP283_zps91184c96.jpg

..also added a bit of detail to the main fuselage parts where the gear bay extends into them..

WIP285_zpsd234a44e.jpg

..after a bit of work I was happy that it was getting near to being ready to close up and that I should stop detailing & move on...

WIP284_zps3839b708.jpg

WIP286_zpsa86610cb.jpg

..I primed all the parts with mr surfacer to give a good key for the paint across the different materials...

WIP288_zps862b287a.jpg

..anyone who has seen my other WIPs will know I am terrified of painting - I don't have much airbrush experience and really see it as an opportunity to balls up a lot of building work..

..any way I looked at it, it was time for paint...

..I mixed up a pot of Tamiya Acrylic with greens, blue & yellow until I had what I thought matched the colour found on an interior shot of N7654C's cockpit and bit the bullet...

WIP289_zpsafa86476.jpg

I also tried a few shadows of Tamiya smoke to see if I could make some lowlight contracts before I detail paint and weather the area - I can see it in real life but think the photo's might bleach it out...

WIP291_zps9ed4ec22.jpg

WIP290_zpsb79a0fa3.jpg

..so, thats it for now - I have to do the detail painting in the next few days (hopefully...)

TTFN
Peter

got a little paint on so thought I would put up a couple more pics...

..the trouble with building complete detailed assemblies is they are hard to detail paint - I wanted to spray the heater so masked around it...

..a couple of shades of alclad and it was done..

WIP292_zpsd75ef868.jpg

..and after taking the masking off..

WIP293_zps233f73cc.jpg

..then a couple of hours carefully painting..

WIP295_zps15fe343f.jpg

WIP294_zps6f634980.jpg

...I need to look at learning some weathering techniques now - I can do a wash and dry brush, but have seen some spectacular effects out there so will have to gen up..

..any good tutorials out there on salt / hairspray / whatever black magic they use?

can't spend too long as I want to close the nose up and crack on...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 2