The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:32 Tamiya F4u-1 "White 126 Tojo Eats Sh$%"

Hi everyone, here is my 1:32 Tamiya f4u-1 WIP. I've been working on this one on and off for a while now (amongst other things) and after following "DoogsATX" thread I thought I should also share my work considering we're both doing the same aircraft. I hope he doesn't mind....... Its quite interesting to see our two different takes on this A/C 

"White 126 Tojo eats sh$%" is a fascinating subject and from the look of the photo, quite worn looking. I've tried to capture the essence of the pic and generally how corsairs looked out in the pacific. its not perfect and theres still plenty of work left to do with weathering etc. but, I hope you like what I've done so far....

f695176d-b225-45e6-9d8b-31a8222f3412.jpg

45da0148-d6fd-44bb-84ca-562b4995c7a2.jpg

0ef0bdac-b021-4f79-a6de-ec566a8f0864.jpg

0ef0bdac-b021-4f79-a6de-ec566a8f0864.jpg

77d05e25-6da7-4a30-8049-9d698f37eae1.jpg

b28275b8-52d5-4b2e-8efd-e4cced71cf9f.jpg

7ad919a7-c059-4f23-9935-fafbb8cefc04.jpg

450477a6-c6cd-42f6-80bb-f9bfe44a3a1e.jpg

afc871f9-22bd-4446-8ca1-7bf130634da0.jpg

By the way, its my first trip to Telford this year and I'm pretty excited, so please say g-day I'm more then happy to chat . Only problem is ..... you don't know what i look like- no i'm not some faceless vampire like modeller, i don't have a picture of my self to post. 

If you follow this link you can check out my cockpit WIP pics     

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/thread/1378388583/1-32+Tamiya+F4U-1+cockpit+WIP

cheers,

Peter olsen

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ok, a small update but progress is made ! Actually this took a lot of time but I was able to work on it on my holiday back home to Australia in the warm QLD sun.Thank goodness the model made it all the way there and back to Europe again !

Well, as you can see in the shots below I've sprayed on the upper sirface markings. I went for a faded and sun beaten look ( I think the QLD climate influenced me there) but its not finished yet......The next steps of Future and washes will blend the markings in nicely with the rest of the work on the airframe.

(which will also receive more work as well)

I still have to fix up and respray the under side markings due to a mistake and there will be some touch ups here and there in other places but its coming along nicely. I'm also now waitng for more mask to arrive......

c3183055-3f33-49cc-9ce9-f6221c81c296.jpg

This next shot is not so nice but it gives you an over all look

3eca3f84-f2d9-4943-84ce-a37263d9cd04.jpg

Thanks for following along.

Cheers,

Peter.

• Like 2

Thanks Ted, I'm loving your 152 rivet work ... I'm halfway through riveting that kit my self, oh the humanity !

Cheers,

Peter

Thank you Peter,

I know... but there MUST be rivets!!

Imagine rivet a Corsair, B-25 or B-17... (crying)

Incredible joy watching your build

All the best

Ted

Thanks guys, very much appreciated !

Honza, don't let me stop you doing a "tojo eats sh!?" I would love to see your take on it .You're right, no modellers home is complete without one! Don't worry about the strong "sh!?" smell :)

Ted, I hear you mate, I would rivet every 1:32 kit I have if ...... well lets see...

Jeroen, yes there are some nice builds kicking around at the moment

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, after spraying the markings on the undersurfaces of the wing I realised that I had made an error which could only be fixed by a complete respray of the base colours then a reapplication of the markings again. A coat of Future and weathering will bring it all back together in the final steps

The white bars are still missing here aswell.......

887ca274-0488-4615-a770-ff40ceeac8c3.jpg

You can see in the shots where I had to respray the base tones under the markings.

049f2e77-518a-4563-9269-5d378ebb7f7f.jpg

A few touch ups here and there due to oversprays are still to come.

b1401754-b042-42f8-bf78-535fd8f5cfea.jpg

Well, getting there, thats it for now.

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1

Really Nice job! I have an information, by my friend, that Tojo looks like 3(4) color scheme... maybe I will buil it like that

From January 5, 1943 all aircraft were to be painted in a four colour scheme consisting of ANA 606 Semi Gloss Sea Blue upper surfaces with ANA 607 Non Specular Sea Blue on the upper surface of the wing leading edges, ANA 608 Non Specular Intermediate Blue on the vertical tail, a graded tone close to FS-35189 Blue Grey (mixed from ANA 601 & ANA 607) on the fuselage sides, and ANA 601 Non Specular Insignia White on the undersides. The portions of the wings visible from above when folded were painted in the graded tone used on the sides.

The best way, how to know 2 or 3 color scheme is big contrast between rudder and top side of the fuselage on photos..... But it´s maybe theory...

I don´t want to tell you, that you have it wrong.... It´s only idea for discussion :-)

Thanks Ted ! I hope all is well up north.

We've had the sun out for two days now and it is actually warming the skinn!!

I tell you, all Tamiya threads around here makes the domestic terror balance a bit shakey..

excellent work!

Cheers

Ted

Honza, sounds interesting do you have any pics with that theory ? I'm following the suggestions on the baracuda cals sheets and just trying to match the weathering in the black and white photo of the original. I'm happy as long as I'm still "in the ball park"as they say. I prefer to focus on the artistic side of things as apposed to getting to hung up in historical accuracy.

Ted, a bit of sun up there eh, sounds good !

Cheers,

Peter

Honza, sounds interesting do you have any pics with that theory ? I'm following the suggestions on the baracuda cals sheets and just trying to match the weathering in the black and white photo of the original. I'm happy as long as I'm still "in the ball park"as they say. I prefer to focus on the artistic side of things as apposed to getting to hung up in historical accuracy.

Ted, a bit of sun up there eh, sounds good !

Cheers,

Peter

I absolutelly understand you. Your weathering work is amazing. I want to say, that all is only theory. But I think it works. I found fast some photos. 

1_zps4ac9307a.jpg

2_zps2788e6e2.jpg

3_zps53b83dd8.jpg

I'm not sure about the colour scheme theory but its interesting to say the least. Thank goodness I didn't paint mine bright fluro pink with pokerdots :) ( just like Steel Panther )

The photos are awesome, thankyou for posting them. The picture from front on provides plenty of artistic inspiration, I'll definitely use it.

Cheers,

Peter

P.s whats up next on your modelling bench ?