The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

WNW Royal Aircraft Factory RE.8 "Harry Tate" WIP

Guest DannyVM

Guest DannyVM

Beautiful work Danny. I hope I had this kit. Perhaps they'll consider re-poping it in a year or two. 

Tahnk's for the kind word's.

I'm sure they will, it's a very popular kit so i would be wondered iff they not re-pop it.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

For now, a little update, not much, but again, i'm a slow builderhmmm.gif

The Harry tate has got his first wings. The lower wings is glued to the fuselage.

DSCN1333_zpsju69pdgv.jpg

DSCN1331_zpskj1naxr5.jpg

DSCN1335_zpseagi0lmk.jpg

Machine gun is painted and dry-brushed.

DSCN1329_zpso2eewzx8.jpg

DSCN1328_zpskb5sm1lp.jpg

Wings struts are all painted.

DSCN1326_zpswphk6qof.jpg

DSCN1324_zpsqdvbezqx.jpg

Cooper bombs are painted and decalled. They just need a mat clear coat.

DSCN1323_zpsdseqqdmm.jpg

And the Cooper bomb racks are updated with some HGW PE.

DSCN1320_zpsowvboknf.jpg

DSCN1319_zpscrfwkfjh.jpg

Greetz

Danny

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

Very little progress is made the last few weeks, due to the severe wheater overhere in Belgium. Not at all bad wheater but very nice and warm wheater, so it was time to be outside instead of inside activity's.speak_cool.gif

One of the last part's that had to be done where the two Lewis guns, let's say these are a little kit on there own.

I used some kit PE, HGW PE and some scratch brass tubes for the barrels.

This is the end result, exept for the painting.

DSCN1357_zpsltew7738.jpg

DSCN1358_zpsrq95knrq.jpg

DSCN1362_zpszkxd3kgr.jpg

And in the up position

DSCN1364_zpshijocwyk.jpg

DSCN1365_zpsud2vk97q.jpg

DSCN1366_zpscle725kx.jpg

DSCN1367_zpsd9ujps2h.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

May I ask what you used to apply the CA glue - your work is incredibly clean!

Sure you do........often i use a simple toothpick or iff the part can be manipulated with a tweezer, i dip it very gentle into the CA glue and rub the part on a piece of kitchen paper so the superabundant CA glue dissapears. Then i place the piece of PE onto it's place and let it dry.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Ok - need to buy some technical equipment - toothpicks!

Hihi, to be honest, a few years ago, a local supermarket sold whole packages of toothpicks for little money. I think a package contained six boxes of each 100 toothpicks for about 0.50€. I bought back then, about all the packages that where in stock, resulting in a home build stock of about 5000+ toothpicks. Enough for the rest of my life. :omg:

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Like i said in my previous reply's, i'm busy with the eyelets and turnbuckles.

GasPatch has some very nice looking turnbuckles but this time i wanted to make them myself, so starting with the eyelets.......................punk.gif .......i'm not giving up on thisevil_laugh.gif

First the wire, copper....0.1 a 0.2 m/m cut to a lenght of 1.5 cm.

DSCN1369_zpsswtg7q2a.jpg

DSCN1373_zps8gbhdqbr.jpg

These pieces are now turned using a tweezer and my hand, i have now the basic eyelet.

DSCN1374_zpsyark0tja.jpg

The eyelets itself is 0.3 m/m, for this i use a 0.3 m/m drill bit. The other end is fastened in a pin vise.

DSCN1375_zps71mral23.jpg

DSCN1378_zpshil0xfsh.jpg

DSCN1377_zpsm6qlkjtw.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

The GasPatch turnbuckles gives a great value for theire money. I used them on my Roland build. You will be very happy with them.

Eyelets are all done...........yahoo.gif

They got theire bath in the excellent Ushi burnishing agent to give them a black appearance.

DSCN1382_zpsohtyapz0.jpg

DSCN1381_zpsbv9apuic.jpg

Time to count them guy'sevil_laugh.gif

Greetz

Danny

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

Time for a massive update guy's whistle.gif

Last day's i was very busy to tackle some details. First thing to do was glueing some part's to fuselage.

First thing, the whole engine and the frontal machinegun.

DSCN1411_zpsaad1dzhu.jpg

DSCN1410_zpsbieq2gxs.jpg

DSCN1412_zpsofyvwugv.jpg

DSCN1413_zpsfqohcn69.jpg

Wheels are attached to the landinggear. I chosed to use the company decals to add on the wheels. I found that the text, wich was molded on the tires was overdone, so therefore the decal solution.

DSCN1417_zpsyukqumym.jpg

DSCN1418_zpskhjnwuxd.jpg

Next thing will be a fun part......wheatering

Ok, time for the next update, the wheatering of Harry.wicked.gif  On of my favourite way's of wheatering is using the Tamiya wheatering sets. These sets give you lot's of possibility's, it's good stuff.

First i tackled the underside of the upper wing.

DSCN1434_zpsx5bz8bcb.jpg

The flash of the camera hides most of the details, so here's a closer look.

DSCN1435_zpsnz38af9j.jpg

DSCN1436_zpsb7416rgr.jpg

Upper part of the upper wing, here's it's a little more difficult to achieve certain effects. I didn't want a harsh effect overhere so a subtle wheatering was added.

Left side is untouched, right side wheatered.

DSCN1438_zps1y4aud9t.jpg

A closer look

DSCN1440_zpscv4df0hk.jpg

And the roundel

DSCN1443_zpsztkxxxz2.jpg

Also the landinggear wheels where wheatered with these Tamiya sets

DSCN1447_zpsqgh6iwvl.jpg

DSCN1448_zpszfgtclca.jpg

Time to add the rest of the part's to the fuselage.

The engine cowl's where glued on theire place. First i wanted to display the engine, but i wanted a machine that was ready for battle, with the pilot and gunner on theire way to board the plane.

The fit here wasn't quit good, I think the problem didn't lie at the kit itself, it was rather me that did something wrong.....i don't knowoops.gif .....well ok, here we go, everything worked at the end, so no harm done.

DSCN1450_zpsg4dpsdrv.jpg

DSCN1451_zpsfsipu7ir.jpg

Windscreen and Aldis sight are glued.

DSCN1452_zpsgg9dp9lm.jpg

When i glued the Aldis sight, i touched with my Tamiya thin cement brush the left exhaust, resulting in leaving a glue stain on the surface........stupid me.....BANGHEAD2.jpg BANGHEAD2.jpg

That will taken care of, not much harm done.

DSCN1453_zps8ddyydjq.jpg

DSCN1454_zpszhzmp4xk.jpg

Next, wheatering of the bottom wing, first to do was the underside, again, the same way like the upper wing, but the wheatering is heavier now.

DSCN1457_zpsfu8dtvjx.jpg

DSCN1458_zpsd1ok16et.jpg

Horizontal stabelizer.

DSCN1459_zpshedvrwkv.jpg

Then systematic i wheatered the rest of the Harry.

DSCN1461_zpsggogtvhx.jpg

DSCN1462_zpsa12xcyh3.jpg

DSCN1463_zpstlb5yehj.jpg

DSCN1465_zpsnboudrpo.jpg

DSCN1466_zps8dlrsotu.jpg

DSCN1472_zpsew6qvymf.jpg

DSCN1473_zpsjis1gybs.jpg

Also the twin Lewis machineguns and the bomnbs on theire racks are ready to be assembled, this i will do when most of the rigging is done.

DSCN1483_zpss4eykfpl.jpg

DSCN1484_zps2hjfblkr.jpg

DSCN1485_zpsgjqkxpoq.jpg

DSCN1486_zpsqaxb6ke0.jpg

That's all folk's

DSCN1460_zpsubv0hxt1.jpg

Guest DannyVM

Thank's Aaron for you're kind words.

Just a little help (hope you don't mind)wheatering should be weathering.

Sure i don't mind, but can you tell me a little bit more please??

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Thank's Youngtiger1thumbsup.gif

Yesterday i glued the upper wing onto the fuselage......oohhh boy that wasn't easyhmmm.gif .......but all went well, and the alligment of both wings are just great.

DSCN1495_zpsuzgxhxfc.jpg

DSCN1497_zpst28i9y5v.jpg

DSCN1498_zpsht5e9j26.jpg

So today it was D-day........i search for my courage, i drank a couple of Duvels, and finnaly started the riggingwhistle.gif whistle.gif whistle.gif

DSCN1503_zpscxokienh.jpg

DSC_0122_zpstws3wdr5.jpg

DSC_0125_zpsbe9fdbjp.jpg

DSCN1500_zpsy8cjaqap.jpg

DSCN1502_zps6tqjqumw.jpg

DSCN1506_zpsk5rudxgv.jpg

DSCN1508_zpsoakfcgyx.jpg

DSCN1509_zps9jmpd0xo.jpg

DSCN1511_zps12ucdojv.jpg

DSCN1512_zpsucuwtxrq.jpg

DSCN1515_zpsaqyza4bd.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Today i finnished the rigging of the Harry Tate, and to be honest, i feared of this job, but at the end, all went very well.

Time to add the last details, bomb's and final placement of the two Lewis guns (now they are just dry-fitted) and some detail painting.

After that, i can call this build done.yahoo.gif

What can i say about this kit. Well, it's a tricky kit, but again, it's WNW quality and that say's it all. 

I was surprised about the wing span of the upper wing, boy it's big, compared to my Roland, the Re.8 was a big plane, but that said, it's a very impressive model, and i hope that one day WNW will put the Harry Tate back on the shelf's.

For now, i don't have the time to shoot lot's of pic's, i will do that when it's finnished, but in the meanwhile, here are 3 teazer photo's of the Harry Tate.

DSCN1516_zpsgza2sfn6.jpg

DSCN1517_zpsxj5qup5r.jpg

DSCN1518_zpsmagh6mbb.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Oh interesting, I didn't realize there was another product in market beside EZ lines. So, thanks for the link and I will sure to grap a set 

It's very good stuff. At the moment they have 0 stock, but they refill there stock very often, so a little patience, and soon it's back in stock.

Looks fantastic!! The Harry Tate is coming along beautifull!  :)

Thank's Francisco for the nice comment.

Greetz

Danny

Danny I really think you have hit this one out of the ball park, first of all it takes a lot of balls to build a OOP kit, I'm quietly avoiding mine - no idea why just scared of screwing up with no way to pay my way out of it :D

But I really love this build and I've been following it here and on FB since you began and I'll be coming back here for reference when I finally man up and build mine!

Thank you for sharing.

Guest DannyVM

Wow James, you made my cheekes turned red mate, such nice compliments from someone who is also a master in this hobby (yes my friend, i'm a real fan of you're work), i can only appriciate that. :)

Like i said before, it's a tricky model for sure, and you have to keep you're attention to it, but, it's a beauty of a kit, with a great fit and lot's of details.

That said, i'm sure that, once you will start you'rs, you will do a great job on it, i really am sure of that James, no doubts about that. Iff i look at you're D.H.2, ooohhh boy, very nicely done my friend.

To be honest, i've seen a couple of Re.8's overhere in Belgium at modeling conventions, all in a clean configuration, so my tought's where, i want one in a dirty state, like the where operated in those day's, so here it is. That said, i'm still learning, and you're work is a fine example that give me lot's of idea's for future WW1 builds.

Greetz

Danny

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

Hi folks,

the Harry Tate is finished, but still, there are some objects that are necessary to complete, the whole Harry Tate diorama.

I hope it's ok, that i post them over here.

First thing to do, the two figures and the dog.

The Harry Tate diorama, will depict a machine in the day's of 'Bloody April'. Crew is ready to board their Re.8, but before they do, they give some attention to their dog, the squadron mascot.

Not knowing for what they up to, they are in a playful mood.

I choosed two excellent figures from Kellerkind, and today i glued them together, and filled up the few seem's.

DSCN1541_zpsqgkuqitf.jpg

DSCN1542_zps21my2wf5.jpg

DSCN1543_zpsnimx33mh.jpg

Tomorrow i will give them a primer coat.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

The two figures are primed. The first one with the Sidcot flying suit, i started the painting.

DSCN1547_zpsit7vfcu2.jpg

DSCN1553_zpsnv9ifjou.jpg

DSCN1556_zpsgmc35fv8.jpg

DSCN1554_zpscmc31i43.jpg

Greetz

Danny