The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Idea... missing the large scale ships here. ...

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 4/25/2021 at 6:18 PM, belugawhaleman said:

I would like the see someone tackle that big Trumpy Titanic. Now that would be a build

To remember.

I thought about it, but not as Titanic.  To me, Titanic is not only cliché, but also a gravesite, a d I’d never build Titaanic anymore than I’d build a graveyard.

HOWEVER, people forget that Titanic had two almost identical sister ships, Britannic and Olympic.   Both of those ships are extremely interesting.

Britannic never ran as a civilian liner, instead it was impressed by the RN and served with distinction as a Hospital Ship until striking a mine and the Captain desperately trying to beach his ship on a Greek island. The heroic crew saved all but thirty, but only 5 were buried, with most of the rest lost being in two lifeboats that ran through a still turning propellers and were chopped to bits. They had cast off from the ship before the order was given.

Olympic served on the transatlantic run she was designed for, was nicknamed “Old Reliable” for her trouble free service, but time caught up to her and after being hopelessly outdated by newer steam turbine liners, she met her end around WW2 when she was paid off and scrapped. 
also, Olympic served as a troopship, complete with an awesome dazzle paint scheme.

Either one of those amazing Ladies can be built from the Titanic kit.  Britannic in her white hospital ship colors with bold red crosses would make one seriously striking display.

Olympic looks identical to Titanic with the exception of a very minor difference in one of the dining halls and promenades. Not much more than a name and pennant change would create Olympic. 
The Trumpeter kit has MUCH potential IF you let your imagination run…

Britannic….

B40E72A5-706C-4EBC-AC61-F2A47D3D1E4E.jpeg

And Olympic, both in her White Star livery, and her dazzle scheme.  
Pure history here, folks. 

B76D071F-CE80-48DE-B757-AF544B6D669E.jpeg

85717A47-F526-40B3-9D68-453FF4B6C178.jpeg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

I thought about it, but not as Titanic.  To me, Titanic is not only cliché, but also a gravesite, a d I’d never build Titaanic anymore than I’d build a graveyard.

HOWEVER, people forget that Titanic had two almost identical sister ships, Britannic and Olympic.   Both of those ships are extremely interesting.

Britannic never ran as a civilian liner, instead it was impressed by the RN and served with distinction as a Hospital Ship until striking a mine and being beached to avoid loss of life. The heroic crew saved all but three. 
Olympic served on the transatlantic run she was designed for, was nicknamed “Old Reliable” for her trouble free service, but time caught up to her and after being hopelessly outdated by newer steam turbine liners, she met her end around WW2 when she was paid off and scrapped. 
also, Olympic served as a troopship, complete with an awesome dazzle paint scheme.

Either one of those file Ladies can be built from the Titanic kit.  Britannic in her white hospital ship colors with bold red crosses would make one seriously striking display.

Olympic looks identical to Titanic with the exception of a very minor difference in one of the dining halls and promenades. Not much more than a name and pennant change would create Olympic. 
The Trumpeter kit has MUCH potential IF you let your imagination run…

Britannic….

B40E72A5-706C-4EBC-AC61-F2A47D3D1E4E.jpeg

I agree, the Britannic in her hospital ship livery would be far more interesting. I never thought

of that option.

Thanks;

Paul

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

I agree, the Britannic in her hospital ship livery would be far more interesting. I never thought

of that option.

Thanks;

Paul

Do it, Paul.  Both those ships and those who served on them are heroic war heroes.  I’ll probably do it someday as well.

The extra deck machinery on Britannic makes for some interesting model making.

But there’s absolutely zero fought both those ships are Harland and Wolff creations.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Do it, Paul.  Both those ships and those who served on them are heroic war heroes.  I’ll probably do it someday as well.

The extra deck machinery on Britannic makes for some interesting model making.

But there’s absolutely zero fought both those ships are Harland and Wolff creations.

I'd love to make that kit, especially in Britanic form, but I'm too poor and lazy to accomplish such a grand project. I'm interested to know what the extra deck hardware

Was. I remember seeing a documentary on the Britanic that featured  actual

underwater footage of the wreck and interview of a survivor. She was a nurse. This

Was many years ago. I think it was a Jacques Cousteau special. If I remember correctly,

the ship was laying on its side and was in not too deep water. Anyway, thanks for

giving something to think about.

Regards;

Paul.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Paul, you can see deck equipment, derricks, racks, and davits for a multitude of boats. I assume some of those are rescue launches and others are extra lifeboats. 
I’m not surprised she’s in shallow water. They tried hard to beach her, but fell slightly short.

• Like 3

Do remember that after a certain sea disaster in April 1912, the number of lifeboats was significantly increased on all liners, including Britannic and Olympic ...

I got the Titanic kit, but sincerely hope it encourages Trumpeter to release the true greyhound of four-stackers, i.e. MS Mauretania. As for THE most beautiful liner of all times, aka the Normandie, one can dream, can’t one :rolleyes: ?

Hubert

• Like 5

5 hours ago, HubertB said:

Do remember that after a certain sea disaster in April 1912, the number of lifeboats was significantly increased on all liners, including Britannic and Olympic ...

I got the Titanic kit, but sincerely hope it encourages Trumpeter to release the true greyhound of four-stackers, i.e. MS Mauretania. As for THE most beautiful liner of all times, aka the Normandie, one can dream, can’t one :rolleyes: ?

Hubert

When you build that Titanic kit please post it here. I agree, A series of famous liners

would be great. And yes, The Normandie would be a wonderful subject for

A kit.

th (1).jpeg

• Like 2

I’ve been following a few large scale ship builds; two 1/200 Trumpeter Titanic kits and a 1/200 Trumpeter HMS Hood.

From what I’ve learned the Titanic hull is completely incorrect and the builders had to decide how much each would correct then. The HMS  Hood has been spectacular with the addition of the Pontos detail set.

i just enjoy watching and following

Keep ‘em comin

Peter  

• Like 3

On 5/13/2021 at 11:34 PM, Martinnfb said:

Titanic was spoiled by Celine Dion, but the idea of building it’s sister-ships is brilliant. 

Saw the movie again, recently. I didn't care too much for it. The special effects were

Fine, but the story line with Decaprio and Winslet predictable. Besides, I always thought

Winslet a bit chubby at the time.  I grew to despise Celine Dion and that theme song!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
On 5/16/2021 at 7:50 AM, Peterpools said:

I’ve been following a few large scale ship builds; two 1/200 Trumpeter Titanic kits and a 1/200 Trumpeter HMS Hood.

From what I’ve learned the Titanic hull is completely incorrect and the builders had to decide how much each would correct then. The HMS  Hood has been spectacular with the addition of the Pontos detail set.

i just enjoy watching and following

Keep ‘em comin

Peter  

I actually have the Hood and the full Pontos set.  When I can see myself with nothing to do for a couple years or so, I would like to take a stab at that one.   Apparently, Hood's B turret is misshapen, and if you try to traverse the battery, it hits the wall of the pagoda. Ooops.   Shapeways sells the corrected components.

My other dream build is the USS Pennsylvania circa 1942 or so.  That can be easily enough built from the Trumpeter 1/200 USS Arizona, but some scratchbuilding will be necessary, of course.

Why am I not surprised that Trumpeter totally missed the lines of the Titanic's hull?  I mean, the Olympic Class Liners are only the most studied class of Luxury Liners that ever existed, so it's not surprising that Trumpeter would refuse to look at the millions of available documents.

• Like 3

Hi Ernie

Ship modeling does absorb untold hours of time. Not even looking at the time component, the PE, even in 1/200 scale is an art unto itself. The 1/200 HMS Hood build I have been following is now close to being completed, magnificent work and with the full Pontos set and it's week 41!!

I would love to devote a year to a build and it would have to be 1/350 scale as I have no room at the bench to build a 1/200 scale ship. Of course, at my age and hands, not sure I could handle the PE at all and without the full PE upgrade, the beauty of the larger scale ships are lost.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Forget 1/200, how about this one?

raise-main.jpg.edad0c8836f23f460057d8e9efc0f724.jpg

It was built for the film Raise the Titanic. I wonder if they got the hull right? :D

With the Bronco Type XXIII on my bench, that's about as big as I'd want to get a model me thinks. More importantly I think that's as big as Sue would let me. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay guys, just for grins, this is my Revell 1/144 USS Cobia that I built several years ago. I added a bunch of after market stuff like the 5" deck gun and some figures. I decided to equip it with 2 40mm guns instead of the one 40 mm and one 20 mm as supplied in the kit. I had a idea it might have been modified in this way right at the end of the war as others were. :) I've always liked our WW II Gato and Balao class subs and was very pleased Revell issued this kit. I have another that I hope to build at some point. :)

port bow.jpg

port quarter.jpg

starboard.jpg

midships.jpg

5 INCH 25.jpg

bridge.jpg

stern.jpg

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looks great John. The crew adds a sense of scale to it. I've got to add some to my Type XXIII to do the same. 

Carl

Thanks Carl. One of these days I'll build the other one in my stash. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...