The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

My other hobby........

ajaycad

• 2 months later...

My other hobby is drumming in bands. Doing some gigs with band playing David Bowie stuff and on two other bands playing our own stuff ( punk rock, post punk, goth). When I am rehearsing alone, I play along Thin Lizzy. 

73154FFF-7712-408B-BE7D-4B106B0AE404.jpeg

• Like 5

On 9/4/2018 at 11:12 PM, Wingco57 said:

You should, we have for instance a nightfighter room which displays the remains of the aircraft of aces Pfeiffer, Woldersdorf and Geiger. The last one was shot down by British nightfighter ace Bob Braham.

Cees , I'd love to see some pics of that display..... Bob Braham is Canadian,( we adopted him ;) and I'm proud to call him Canadian anyway) and he was in the RCAF and flew lots of our hot rods back in the day..... and his sons were in the RCMP here when Braham moved to Canada after the war....

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 9/21/2018 at 6:57 PM, Peterpools said:

Tony

Glad you're onboard and joining in.

I learned to fly in a J3 many moons ago and loved walking the rudder on landing in even gentle crosswinds. Welcome home.

Peter

I'm still wondering why he's flying from the wrong seat.  Everyone knows real Cub-O-holics fly from the rear seat.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2019 at 9:45 AM, Clunkmeister said:

I'm still wondering why he's flying from the wrong seat.  Everyone knows real Cub-O-holics fly from the rear seat.

The Legend Cub has wing tanks so you solo from the front seat.  Now that I instruct in them as well I'm flying from every seat.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Oooh, that Colt is sweet.  The Challenger ain't bad, either.

Personally I turfed my 1911s and BHPs back into the safe and have gone all in with CZ.75s now.  Same train, different wagon. But there ain't no fin jewelry like a well made and tastefully decorated 1911...  CZ now has a 75 variant in 45ACP as well. "A 9mm 'might' expand, but a 45 never shrinks".. yadda yadda yadda...

• Like 2

• Administrators

My wife had me get the Bird out, take her to the shop, and get working on her. I’ve got to get the interior out and redone, so away we go.

Gotta love big American V8s with tailfins and a marshmallow on soft springs ride and wet noodle handling, too.   But a massive V8, slushbox automatic, and full power equipment gives us zero to 60 mph in 6 seconds flat. Pretty good for 2 ton cruiser.

A967A3EF-DF65-4677-9EB6-336AD9FD18CB.jpeg

5A853C31-34BC-4566-8FF2-280A493396CD.jpeg

• Like 9

• Administrators

Actually, it’s small for a 1959 American car. Wheelbase is only 113”, when most American cars were 123” or more.

There’s not much room inside either. It seats 4, two molded buckets up front between a tall console, and 2 mounded semi buckets in the rear.

Thunderbird was exremely well built with a full unit body that was way, way overbuilt and even today offers a super strong and no squeak or flex ride.  It weighs over 4600 lbs with options and fuel.  The big V8 has 350hp and 490 ft/lbs of torque, and even the small V8 had 300hp and 395 ft/lbs of torque, and it needed every bit of it to move it along.  But the 59 Thunderbird convertible will run 120 mph all day long with 4 people and not even break a sweat. 

When the average 1959 American sedan cost about $3000.00, the Thunderbird convertible, optioned as this one is, cost almost $6000.00. That’s almost $53,000.00 in today’s dollars. Plus tax, title, and delivery. Too rich for my blood. My regular car is a Ford Focus.

• Like 2

Might as well jump in on the thread...

I've got too many hobbies! 

Small collection of firearms.  Here's a few.

Jw9dgg.jpg

hFKKy8.jpg

I built this one from a destroyed Colt 1911 my Dad had.  Special ordered a Caspian frame with his DOB as the SN.  I gave it to him for Christmas when he was about 79 or 80.  He carried it everywhere to show everyone like a kid with a new toy.  To this day, I think it was the best gift I have ever given to him, and we got a response from him that was very uncharacteristic of him.

7AZDts.jpg

Now sporting a set of real Ivory grips from Nutmeg.

bkJVgd.png

Of course I have my Mustangs....

NnkC4q.jpg

Few woodworking projects....

3017LT.jpg

A bandsaw box I built for the wife.

4WvYdv.jpg

v18yVl.jpg

And my current project, highly modifying this Harbor Freight tool box by removing the tall casters under it, building a "chassis" for it to sit in with casters that put it lower to the floor along with floor stops to keep it from rolling away and the butcher block top.  Here the top is just sitting on it.  I'm currently adding about 3" of Red Oak edging to make it a little wider.

WRwAhR.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Scott, I see why she keeps you around, you are a rather handy guy.......... love that '66

It certainly seems that way!  :thumbsup2:  In 30 years of marriage our only auto repair bills have been two services at $375 and of course any alignments or tire work.  Oh, there was that one engine swap, but it was because of having to pay a shop to maintain a warranty. 

Around the house I've (we) remodeled all three bathrooms and the kitchen. Heavy yard work is starting to wear me out quickly.  Might have to get sly here and hire it out on days she works and tell her I took the day off to trim the shrubs. ;) 

She went on a girls weekend one time and came home to new carpet on the 16X16 screen porch.  Another time she ripped out half the basement carpet in her side where she has her treadmill and workout area.  While she was at work I laid down the carpet squares in here area for her.

I did the '66 all by myself. Paint & Body, interior, wiring, built custom gauge cluster, interior, etc.  Only thing I farmed out was the exhaust and pressing on axle bearings and they about ruined my axle in the process.  I now have my own press.

What I brought home back in 1999:

sD6KAb.jpg

• Like 3

What are the brakes like on that Clunk? Two tons with the sort of momentum you'll generate at 60 mph in 6 secs will take bit of stopping! If they're like our cars of that era though, the brakes will be essentially worthless. :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Few woodworking projects...

Some very handy skills there Scott...

I'm slowly replacing the support posts of the Pergola at our house as time and finances permit, using my some of my Dad's tools where possible (he passed in 2005). 

30261304_10209390104150143_5217076893047586816_o.thumb.jpg.dc83f876d52a0e7dfa6eafb5fb3f903d.jpg

Some are worse than others...

30265400_10209390101990089_8803063204373594112_o.thumb.jpg.1098785510e9ae90c94320fcfe66f6b1.jpg

30264586_10209390112630355_7622629913090064384_o.thumb.jpg.4759a98f35c2f49e8f5ffb08e8c70ee1.jpg

I find it very relaxing, much less stressful than Scale Modelling. And it gets me a lot more credit in the SWMBO bank!

Steve

• Like 3

• Administrators

Scott, you owe it to yourself to check out the Cz.75. I’m sold on these, and have a small family of them.  The big Shadow for competition, the buffed out 75b as belt jewelry, and the 75d compact as a carry pistol. 

I’m old school with pistols and don’t do plastic or striker fire Tupperware stuff. Cold steel, that’s it.

The Czechs make very good pistols. They always have. Since trying my first straight 75, I haven’t picked up a HiPower or 1911 since...

AD625036-BA54-4DDF-BFAB-B25BEE3790E7.jpeg

• Like 5

• Administrators
3 hours ago, GusMac said:

What are the brakes like on that Clunk? Two tons with the sort of momentum you'll generate at 60 mph in 6 secs will take bit of stopping! If they're like our cars of that era though, the brakes will be essentially worthless. :D

They’re single circuit power drums. Totally adequate for 1959, but not good for today. It’s an easy conversion to front discs with a 1990s power booster and dual circuit master cylinder with proportioning valve.  

The suspension is even easier. Ford full size car suspension was pretty much identical right up into the mid 80s, so parts are plentiful and interchange easily enough. Using shock absorbers with different valving helps settle the ride down, and a thicker front sway bar helps as well.  The aftermarket has a heavy duty sway bar for the rear as well, which really fixes all the Wobblies and lean in corners.  Those simple mods, along with radial tires (tyres for you Brits), turns these cars into totally competent and extremely popular road machines.  

A properly set up full size American car with a big V8 can be easily made into a very comfortable and durable high speed cross country machine.  Those fins actually do help stabilize the car at very high speed.

• Like 4

Ernie,  Old coworker keeps trying to get me to go the CZ route as well.  Lord knows I don’t need another gun addiction,  Kind of saving up for the pending PSA MP5 that should be out by years end.   Had the cash on hand until the woodworking hobby escalated to needing a plainer and a jointer.   My pocket carry pieces are Tupperware.  Got an old Kel-Tec P3AT and a Ruger LC9s that drops down in my pocket and its completely hidden.  

• Like 4

Ernie, that 75D is calling my name :), no wait that's my daughter , she needs elastic.  So there is my other hobby, my family. I have to admit that I use to have different priorities, not anymore.

Also if you need helping hand with the suspension and brake system on your T-bird I will gladly take a Texas-vacation in exchange for hunting piggies :) I gutted my fox-body brakes and swapped it for a later model ones, pretty much same story as you have planned.

Scott your abilities and skill is second to none. Truly love your wood, cars are decent too....Just kidding,,, I love them :)

But every man needs his toys so I am still playing with wood, slowly re-buying my tool stash after I left bunch of my woodworking equipment in BC, in hope to picking it up sometime later.

My wife's new jewellery bench, made of salvaged lumber from our garage frame. Still needs second coat of satin clear and touch ups here and there.

GSEU5790.thumb.jpg.25177d9cd7ee48dde003e6d1679914d2.jpg

Recently I became obsessing about gym as well. In past four years I have become slow, fat , grey-haired and nasty piece of an opinionated old fart, turning into my worst nightmare. 

It's not that gym is going to help to eliminate my newly possessed traits , but at least I get a nice wrist brace every time i go in LOL

• Like 5