The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

My other hobby........

ajaycad

• Administrators
3 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Ernie,  Old coworker keeps trying to get me to go the CZ route as well.  Lord knows I don’t need another gun addiction,  Kind of saving up for the pending PSA MP5 that should be out by years end.   Had the cash on hand until the woodworking hobby escalated to needing a plainer and a jointer.   My pocket carry pieces are Tupperware.  Got an old Kel-Tec P3AT and a Ruger LC9s that drops down in my pocket and its completely hidden.  

Scott, that compact disappears in my pocket, but I keep it in a shoulder rig. Just easier and more natural. And you forget you have it on. Until you need it.

I don’t keep Glocks or any other Tupperware. I dread getting Glockfoot from my 30 year hammergun habits. It’s a self preservation and anti limp decision I made years ago.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, now I’ve gotten back into another bad habit.   

Watches.  

Ive always had a strange attraction to a wrist watch or a pocket watch.  But recently got bit by the bug again.  I just picked these two up.  

gov2jX.jpg

0E8iw6.jpg

They're not Rolex quality, but a huge jump above my older Wenger Swiss Army watches. 

And now I’m looking at a Seiko Monster. Not sure if I want the Orange Monster or the Blue Coral Monster.  

I could buy a few HK bombers for the price of one, but it would just sit on a shelf for years on end.  

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

This is my main interest British Narrow Gauge Railways and this is what got me into scratchbuilding models of them because you couldn't buy them when I was in my teens. Then consequently after college training as an Industrial Model maker with a spell in the Army in between.

I'm now into the larger scale live steam models of them and have scratch built some coaches to go with my locos, the two coaches you see in the video [ Lynton and Barnstaple Railway models ] are one of four built during early mornings and evenings when I was working on the 'Isle of Dogs Films' to miss the traffic....

They are laser cut  in plywood with 3D printed roof lamps and various CNC machined parts. The decals are made by myself with an ALPS printer which can print also gold,silver and white as well which is essential for those old heraldic railway coat of arms, the colours are literally the same paint as used on the real coaches which makes such a difference to the end product.

Such is the interest now with these railways that the Lynton and Barnstaple in Devon for instance has come back from the dead with full size replicas and rebuilt coaches from parts that were rescued from farms etc, this was and will be the most beautiful railway once it's completely rebuilt.

Graham

Brand new loco LYN at Woody Bay L and B Railway 19-9-17.JPG

IMG_4906.JPG

• Like 8

Ohh...I keep thinking about an outdoor railroad set up in G Scale.  Problem is, I would get no enjoyment out of it during summer months due to extreme temps, crappy winters, etc. Not to mention there is not one area in my yard that is flat.  It would require some major elevated track layouts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Ohh...I keep thinking about an outdoor railroad set up in G Scale.  Problem is, I would get no enjoyment out of it during summer months due to extreme temps, crappy winters, etc. Not to mention there is not one area in my yard that is flat.  It would require some major elevated track layouts.

The thing to do is have stainless steel rails [ much less expansion ] elevated track is the norm for us, It's a right pain running this sort of model on the deck.

I've replaced the video with a better one.

Graham

• Like 3

• Administrators

I’ve been spending time with my 59 T-Bird convertible as well, trying to fix any obvious issues. 

I found some rust in the trunk floor brought on by a previous bollocky repair attempt.  

So we add new sheet metal and butt weld it to the good existing metal.  Someone actually installed a patch panel over the existing metal, them sealed it all up with caulking. 

7A618C93-FADD-4916-9CAE-70DC89B24462.jpeg

F1375D3B-07D4-4A67-8BF7-8CADB5212D39.jpeg

8AE70BAA-2CFF-421D-8689-F7AC35C04F81.jpeg

• Like 2

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, harv said:

Who did the welding?....harv

Harv, I usually do my own, but this time I'm having one of my guys do this bit.  I'm not that bad of a hand with a TIG or a MIG, but I just can't seem to find the time these days.

• Like 2

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Any chance to rent a sand blaster and have it clean up to eliminate possibility of a future surprises? I am only thinking out loud, since she's getting stripped anyway.

Yes of course, although we use a plastic like agent instead of silica sand, because it's gentler on 50 year old sheetmetal and avoids the nasty metal warpy warps.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of my two distractions.....

InheCourtyard.jpg

2014 Morgan Plus Eight. 

4.8L naturally aspirated V8, auto box, paddle shift. 

372 bhp, weighs 1240kg = quite quick. 

Glued aluminium chassis, wooden and aluminium coach built body, full independent suspension, LSD, full leather interior, heated seats, A/C, power steering, etc, etc. So it is comfortable too. Looks Classic, electro-mechanically it is modern.  

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 6:02 AM, 224 Peter said:

InheCourtyard.jpg

2014 Morgan Plus Eight. 

Glued aluminium chassis, wooden and aluminium coach built body, full independent suspension, LSD, full leather interior, heated seats, A/C, power steering, etc, etc. So it is comfortable too. Looks Classic, electro-mechanically it is modern.  

“How it’s Made” did a show on these cars.   Really neat rides!  

• Like 2

On 5/29/2019 at 12:47 PM, GrahamF@Iconicair said:

This is my main interest British Narrow Gauge Railways and this is what got me into scratchbuilding models of them because you couldn't buy them when I was in my teens. Then consequently after college training as an Industrial Model maker with a spell in the Army in between.

I'm now into the larger scale live steam models of them and have scratch built some coaches to go with my locos, the two coaches you see in the video [ Lynton and Barnstaple Railway models ] are one of four built during early mornings and evenings when I was working on the 'Isle of Dogs Films' to miss the traffic....

They are laser cut  in plywood with 3D printed roof lamps and various CNC machined parts. The decals are made by myself with an ALPS printer which can print also gold,silver and white as well which is essential for those old heraldic railway coat of arms, the colours are literally the same paint as used on the real coaches which makes such a difference to the end product.

Such is the interest now with these railways that the Lynton and Barnstaple in Devon for instance has come back from the dead with full size replicas and rebuilt coaches from parts that were rescued from farms etc, this was and will be the most beautiful railway once it's completely rebuilt.

Graham

Brand new loco LYN at Woody Bay L and B Railway 19-9-17.JPG

IMG_4906.JPG

I would love to build scale models of trains.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

Finally, got a long time wanted into my hands. 

A Vespa GTS 125 I-GET Supertech.

xztf6dRl.jpg

Trw246dl.jpg

I always had a interest into these Italian classy scooters. I think i got this from my father, he also had a Vespa in the 50's & 60's.

So, let's get into the nostalgic part of this. Left, my father with his Vespa, around 1955 and right, me with my Vespa.

n6UnabNl.jpg

Greetz

Danny

• 3 weeks later...

Another distraction...........

This one has been a grail gun for many years.  Like since as long as I can remember.

HPYylE.jpg

Of course now this is leading to building a silencer on a Form 1 so I don’t have to wait over a year for the approval. Folding arm brace will be here Tuesday.  

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well, not my other Hobby, but hers...

My Wife just received her custom acrylic Aquarium sump from Hmahli Marine this afternoon. Complete with inbuilt LED lighting, individual dosing ports, separate Skimmer and Media bays and dual filtration. $900 AUD all up delivered.

IMG_20190918_142605.thumb.jpg.a932ea91e7946a3508167f16ba23ea45.jpg

And of course, it just has to go straight in right now. Looks like I'm cooking dinner tonight.

I'm just glad she doesn't have Horses!

• Like 7

On 6/23/2019 at 5:02 AM, 224 Peter said:

InheCourtyard.jpg

2014 Morgan Plus Eight. 

Hoooo boy! If my ass could cram into it, I would love to take that to an abandoned airport somewhere!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2019 at 11:02 AM, 224 Peter said:

InheCourtyard.jpg

... LSD ....

Like in The Beatles' song ? Now that is not really compatible with driving, especially a hot rod like this one :D

Hubert

• Like 3

• 2 months later...