The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

My other hobby........

ajaycad

On 11/18/2022 at 2:51 AM, Clunkmeister said:

This is what I’m finishing up right now.  A 1946 Seeburg 146M. It’s often referred to as the “Seeburg Trashcan” because of it’s shape, and it weighs about 400 lbs.   It’s a solid wood cabinet and it carries twenty 78 rpm records.  It has a MASSIVE speaker with a huge magnet, and I also have a remote wall speaker for it.   Similar models were also made in 1947 and 1948, but had metal cabinets with wood decals, and sound nowhere near as good. The 146 is also the only one with the red top, and those are not available reproduction anywhere. 

6F3C9D5E-F89A-47F6-9639-C79581E8D1FF.jpeg

Looks like the Sith version of R2D2 ...

Hubert

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

A kind of Hobby while the Wife likes flowers me it's fruit/food this is the last of my Red Navels for the year picked 21 today I picked probably had about 100 or more this year off the tree next year will most likely be a lean year.I have a Santa Rose Plum tree,Two peach trees,five Blueberry bushes,Raspberry section and three Blackberry bushes.I had Honey Dew melons going at the end of the summer going pretty good but those dawg gone squirrels :brickwall:

dr1 002.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Some of you may have noticed in my posts a silver engine on my coffee

table, well it's a Chinese made model "Hit & miss" engine I got for Christmas

a while back. It's a four-stroke internal combustion engine I run on a mixture of

Coleman lantern fuel (naptha) and Marvel oil....about a 20:1 ratio. The Hit and miss

refers to a governing mechanism that allows the engine to fire only below a certain speed. It does this by holding the exhaust valve open above a certain speed. The intake

valve is "automatic" being held closed by its spring. Holding the exhaust valve does not

allow the pressure drop inside the cylinder that's needed to open the intake. The engine

is fired by a small spark plug that's triggered by a magnet that is positioned on a disc that turns on the crankshaft. A neat little curiosity that I fire up occasionally.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I’ve always loved small engines (well, big ones too!) and I think it’s why I got drawn into RC airplanes back in the ‘80’s.  Some of my favorites were the OS Max twin cylinder 4 cycles.  I had the 160 and the 300.  It’s amazing what those engines cost now compared what I paid back then.  The 300 looks to be no longer available, but the 160 is now over $1400.00 I think they were about $450 back then. I know I paid $650 for my 300.  The 7 cylinder radial is pure sexy, but at $4000, no way in hell I could strap that onto a yard dart and enjoy flying it.

I always keep my eyes open for vintage hit and miss engines, but apparently those things are made of gold and painted to look like old cast iron  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2022 at 8:07 AM, ScottsGT said:

The 7 cylinder radial is pure sexy, but at $4000, no way in hell I could strap that onto a yard dart and enjoy flying it.

But if sure the hell sounds like the real mccoy.;)

• Like 4

Fudge  !!

......FJ1200 goodness ...my current 1986 early FJ ...large aircooled 4s from the 80's are my thang , in 40 bikes I've only had one with water cooling.

10 years ago I built custom bikes for a living for a while , all based off Viragos . Nice ot look at, horrible to ride, but they sold well .

s-l1600.jpg

IMG-4379.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, harv said:

Love the TT bike !....harv 

Guy who bought that one (Number 57)  has never rode it AFAIK , just had it in his pub for decoration . Worked fine, fully road legal etc in 2015 , but he just wanted a garage queen . Refused a test ride when he picked it up . A few of my builds ended up like that, just decorating garages.  TBH I didn't care, it paid the bills that month  .

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

On 1/10/2023 at 11:33 AM, PanzerWomble said:

Guy who bought that one (Number 57)  has never rode it AFAIK , just had it in his pub for decoration . Worked fine, fully road legal etc in 2015 , but he just wanted a garage queen . Refused a test ride when he picked it up . A few of my builds ended up like that, just decorating garages.  TBH I didn't care, it paid the bills that month  .

We have a show here in the states called Pawn Stars.  Family that owns a pawn shop in Las Vegas. Lots of cool facts, interesting things brought in.  Latest version is the Pawn shop crew traveling to different cities and people bringing things in to sell, etc…

Last episode they did in NC at some place that was either a community center with collectibles or staged to look that way.  But behind one of the guys in the background was a mint condition 1972 50cc Honda Monkey exactly like I had when I was a snot nosed kid.  Started thinking about that this morning that if I had one, I’d probably hang it up on the wall too. Pure nostalgia, but those things are wayyy too expensive now to have as wall art for me. And to valuable to let the grandkids on it! 

• Like 3

I don't know who pisses me off more...   Corey or Chumley.  I have a 10,000 dollar bike sitting in my carport.  Belongs to the missus.  Hasn't rode it in over a year.  Too modern to interest you fanatics, though.   Me...   I like four wheeled things.  With my impatience and aggressive driving...  I'd be dead in a month.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

One of those that got away let go I wish I had it back.I sold it to a fella in Quanitco VA back in 2007 for $1500 now you are hard press to touch one less than $3500+.I needed funds for the shop in the back ground it was sold in 24 hrs on a forum I belonged to that was mainly LEO affiliated.:(1082937107_bm59005_edited(533x400).jpg.b4ccd6f2ee11c6859a3850c8ca2d8c0d.jpg

bm59 002 (533 x 400).jpg

bm59 003 (533 x 400).jpg

bm59 007_edited (600 x 219).jpg

• Like 6

Like I mentioned before I like to cook and bake today's menu Homemade Apple Pie.The wife and I have been baking more of what we call goodies instead of buying fructose and yellow dye #7:hsmack:I got to hit the gym and put on some more weight pisses me off seriously after a hard workout I can weight up to four pounds heavier in an 1 1/2 hrs.It's does shed but I am bending and moving easier from the waist area and the back is getting stronger my numbers this afternoon 1/21/23   1PM 126/70 P52 no W/O 200mg caffeine 8am an I am 62 yrs old and feel 40/45 like I said I am getting younger :D

W/O = workout When I had that scan some weeks back for calcium the tech said "for someone who had caffeine in the last four hours you have a Nice pulse rate" My calcium scan was 83 in the bottom 20% 400/500 means stroke is close by.;)

1270373399_show001.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 1/19/2023 at 5:35 AM, Peterpools said:

I like things with wings and a prop - nothing like the joys of flying.

My Uncle took me up in his Cessna when I was a boy.  And one of my Father's buddies took me up a few years ago in Alaska.  Although I enjoyed the view...   It didn't really do much for me.  Perhaps because I was just a passenger and all of the flying was straight and level.  Perhaps I lack imagination...  but I just don't see the fun in it if you're not doing high-G maneuvers, barrel rolls, mock-fighter combat, and low-level buzzing of unsuspecting pedestrians. 

Do/did you ever do that kind of stuff, Peter?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

My Uncle took me up in his Cessna when I was a boy.  And one of my Father's buddies took me up a few years ago in Alaska.  Although I enjoyed the view...   It didn't really do much for me.  Perhaps because I was just a passenger and all of the flying was straight and level.  Perhaps I lack imagination...  but I just don't see the fun in it if you're not doing high-G maneuvers, barrel rolls, mock-fighter combat, and low-level buzzing of unsuspecting pedestrians. 

OK Maverick !!!!!! Feel the need for speed huh?

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Gaz

How I feel when I use fly is impossible for me to put into words. Flying is both an experience and passion. Being a passenger isn't the same experience at all as 'mastering the sky'. Sitting up front, seeing the world in front of you, is lightyears different then flying as a passenger on a commercial aircraft.

Some love the open sea and piloting a boat: sail or powered - I'm sure it's not the same. Some are invigorated by different types of driving experiences. Why we all have different passions. I've never understood why but we do. I'm not a boat guy and don't do well riding in the back of cars. Yes, I drive an SUV ... no rhyme or reason. 

Aerobatics is a different type of flying. All I can tell you there is a feeling of pride and joy I experienced after my first solo flight many decades ago, that I still remember every minute of it today (and that was in 1965), passing my check rides and taking my first passenger up (who would become my wife), are experiences I also still remember vividly. 

Of course, doing the kind of flying you are talking about is for the military and air shows only. " low-level buzzing of unsuspecting pedestrians" is something a pilot would never do; it's illegal and not only will you lose your license, most likely you will be heavily fined and maybe behind bars. When I flew, I always flew by the rules; when you solo - you know how to fly but when you pass your flight test for your license, you not only demonstrate your flying skills but as important, you are a safe pilot and safety always comes first. 

• Like 7

Good explanation Peter.  I’ve got a friend that was a lawyer (now retired) that use to drive all over the state to meet clients.  2000 miles a week was his normal.  His driving skills sucked.  He’s the kind of guy that if you rode with him you would get out with white knuckles and swear you would never get back in a car/truck or tricycle with him in charge.  He’s all over the road, doesn’t pay attention to his speed (usually doing 25+ over the limit) and he’s one of those guys that has to make face contact with you when talking. So he’s constantly looking at the passenger and not the road. 

One day he told me he was thinking about getting his pilots license and flying to all the appointments.  I told him NO. Just no.  OK, more like HELL NO!  At most, buy a plane, hire a pilot. Your mind is on the next client, not falling out of the sky. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1