Welcome to Large Scale Modeller

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DoogsATX

Peanut Butter Jelly Time - HK PBJ-1J Gunship

I can't believe it's been three years since I built HK's B-25J. Now, it's time to embark on a second go-round, this time with HK's B-25J "Strafer" converted to a PBJ-1J Gunship

nickerson10.jpg

This thing will be getting the whole hog - Relish resin props, Eduard PE and wheels, G-Factor gear struts (will probably just use the nose), Profimodeller .50 cals, and a Profimodeller PBJ conversion set (we'll see how good it is...).

I'm actually building this for a publication - focus is on painting, so I'll be taking it dark during the painting stages and bringing it back for weathering and all that good stuff.

Stay tuned - it begins soon!

Pardelhas, James H, Iceman and 2 others like this

Oh - forgot one more fun thing I'm going to try to add - HVAR rockets slung under the wings.

I've also read that it wasn't uncommon for PBJs to remove the top turret later in the war as airspace became less contested. Saved on weight for greater range or more weaponry. Tempted to give it a go, but maybe not. We'll have to see.

Wingco57 likes this

Matt, can youtake a photograph of a Relish prop blade next to kit blade? I'm wondering what the difference really is.

And since both the Relish and AMS props are out of production, what has to be done to reshape the blades myself.

Erik,

Was thinking about that myself, don't fancy to adapt six seperate prop blades, although I did that for the Beaufighter. But it is a lot of work. The HK blades look like canoe peddles.

Cees

Matt, can youtake a photograph of a Relish prop blade next to kit blade? I'm wondering what the difference really is.

And since both the Relish and AMS props are out of production, what has to be done to reshape the blades myself.

Took a photo on my first go-round. Relish props on the right.

file-67-X3.jpg

As far as reshaping...I have no idea? I think the Relish props are actually a bit longer, even, not just slimmer and differently waisted. I would search high and low for a set of the Relish props (which IMO beat the AMS props hands down because they drop-fit into the kit hubs).

Looks like the HK blades are too straight at one side and too bulbous on the other. Difficult to modify.

Perhaps sanding down the bulbous side might work cosmetically. Will try that soon.

Hmmm

Cees

Have one of these in my stash

Would like to do a metal finish

After looking at it closely, my biggest concern will be joining the upper

fuselage halves whilst preserving the fine rivet-detail...

I don't like the idea of having to try to recreate significant amounts of rivet detail after heavy sanding (punch or riveting wheel) & I think a metallic finish will be unforgiving of poor workmanship ...

Anyone who's already tackled this kit have any specific suggestions?

I'll be following with interest (after doing the same with my birdcage corsair!)

Doug