The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Wingnut Wings 1:32 Roland C.IIa (Early) Feldflieger-Abteilung (A)292b

FarEast

Apparently someone has made the accusation that I don't actually build my models and that some one who has only been in the hobby for a little over a year can't possibly produce the level of model that I am.

Now I have to say I found it rather amusing and also a compliment but I have a confession to make, I do have some help.......I have a human that unscrews the paints for me before I begin and cuts the really small pieces off the sprue for me.

Great work on that prop! Super!

12295496_10153397777204247_9052942068870

Hahahahahaha!!!!!! :rofl:

"What is your hobby?" "I beagle model aircraft for my relaxation!"

• Like 1

So last night I was able to get a tiny bit of work in - with about 1 hour I decided to work on the controls.

First up the horns on the rudder - These were supplemented with the modified Gaspatch turnbuckles.

DSC_0339_zpsouk9pdz8.jpg

Then the airleron control horns - now even though the Feldflieger-Abteilung (A)292b aircraft used the 'Late' Variant wings the controls were still that of the C.II therefore parts from the earlier version were requide to make this aircraft authentic 'D9' controls were used as well as 'D5' on the lower wings.

Again these were modified with Gaspatch 'One ended' turnbuckles to enhance the detail of the kit.

DSC_0335_zpsifkoyjer.jpg

Last but not least I started making one of the unique custom features of the Feldflieger-Abteilung (A)292b aircraft and that is what is believed to be a rear view mirror on the right side of the fuselage just where the wing joins.

Roland%20CII%20Fish%20scale_zpsefbl6rsk.

I used a spare part of the kit and also some sprue to make the part.

DSC_0326_zpszrmlbitd.jpg

• Like 1

Went to bed on Friday night with a fever of 38.9 so things weren't looking good for the weekends efforts at the workbench. However I woke up on Saturday feeling much better and with a normal temperature - although feeling rather hung over, not a fun feeling when you haven't been drinking!

So today it was time to attach the wings and start adding some of the minor details.

guns_zps6b2bknt7.jpg

I also had to make custom markings for the rudder, as the size and location of the Fliegertruppe des Deutschen Kaiserreiches this was done by butchering one of the ones from the kit.

tail_zpslrb2zfxr.jpg

From here I could start rigging the lower wings to the fuselage, now here is the problem; this aircraft is using the C.II fuselage with the C.IIa wings  - the two aircraft are rigged slightly differently! Not only that but this aircraft uses the older airleron controls things were a little confusing!

So after going over all of the documentation I had on the Roland C.II aircraft I decided that as it was using the new wings then it would also be rigged the same as the C.IIa, however the airleron controls would need to be rigged the same as the C.II.

Obviously this is all based on logical assumption as there is absolutely no way of knowing, the only image available is taken at such an angle that none of the wires are visible.  

rigging2_zpsxk8xnexe.jpg

rigging1_zpspn0r5dj6.jpg

Another strange thing about this aircraft is that some of the lines have turnbuckles at either end and this is well documented in several photos found in the Windsock Data files, Wingnut Wings manual and Roland Aircraft of WWI all of them attaching to the wing strut and front of the fuselage.

rigging3_zpso5mctmmq.jpg

rigging5_zpsjato370b.jpg

rigging4_zpshicmuipx.jpg

So later today I will paint up the rear view mirror and the flare rack and add the antenna to the fuselage as well as adding the last of the decals.

• Like 1

I managed just over an hour at the bench last night and finally got the wing mirror (Pun Intended) rearview mirror finished.

I really wasn't happy with the mash of using the part E19 and a piece of sprue - for some reason the seam line just wouldn't disappear so I decided to make one completely out of sprue.

DSC_0381_zpsmtiawrro.jpg

mirror1_zps6lvuafwg.jpg

mirror_zpshmy7fuhh.jpg

So all there is to do now is the flare rack, add the final wing insignia and a little weathering and washes.

• Like 1

The final weekend is here and I am knackered, mentally and physically! I've never built to a deadline and wanting to use the final weekend to finish things up was a real push!  Not only that but the weather was appalling so my plan to go outside and photo the finished model was well and completely out the window as it spent the whole weekend raining.

So lets begin,

I finished up all the tiny parts on Friday night and Saturday morning - I was especaily please with the anemometer and I decided to giver the stock part a little more love and attention having decided to not use the Gaspatch part as I felt it was oversized in comparison to the archive photo I was using as reference.

So using a 1mm drill I bowled out the wind paddles and painted it up - rather pleased with myself also for resisting the temptation to install it there and then. (photo taken much later ;) )

anemometer_zpsp57bmvvf.jpg

Next up was the Flare rack - now as this aircraft depicts that of Feldflieger-Abteilung (A)292b after returning from a sortie I thought that having a fully loaded flare rack would be very unlikely, so I removed all but 4 of the flares and painted up 1 red, 2 green and 1 white. Now I scourged the interwebs and couldn't really find anything definitive on the colours so I went with the scheme I have now with coloured bands depicting the flares colour - I then rag rolled the frame to match the rest of the fuselage.

DSC_0504_zpstbmugvpm.jpg

The next job was to paint up the leather trim to the cockpit and this is something I enjoy doing.

Step 1: Base coat of Vallejo woodgrain and orangebrown 70/30 mix

DSC_0377_zpsl5fgxhqx.jpg

Step 2: splodges of orange brown thinned and worked up in layers to create depth

DSC_0378_zpsc5mo2t70.jpg

Step 3: Highlight the edges and stretched points with Dark Sand

DSC_0381_zpsjbczbspc.jpg

Step 4: Blend all the colours in with Woodgrain wash

DSC_0383_zpstgvcevih.jpg

Step 5: Give it the warm glow of leather with Burnt Umber (for the new look) mixed with Uschi van der Rosten Blitz Dry

DSC_0385_zpshqudcsyd.jpg

Finally I painted up the cockpit glass and installed all the additional parts to the fuselage - sat back and looked upon my creations!

DSC_0497_zpsivkwmzvg.jpg

• Like 1

But she's not done yet!

So also on Friday night I started on my display base - the Tamiya ground effect needs a good deal of time to dry (Unless you put it in the oven while the wife is at work ;) No I did not do that!)

DSC_0373_zpso5utydiv.jpg

What lies beneath!

IMG_20151211_215607_zpst7i8ytb9.jpg

while it was still wet I laid a piece of clear wrap lightly over the surface and tipped the nose over of the Roland creating an impressing in the dirt which was then exaggerated to represent the weight of the engine and the prop strike.

DSC_0376_zpsjs2sr308.jpg

So Saturday morning it had dried (without the help of the oven) it was time to apply my home made static grass with my home made applicator.

DSC_0388_zpssnlxpaja.jpg

I use watered down PVA glue as the bond as it transfers electricity very well - too well in fact ...ZAP!

DSC_0389_zpsbpkwqh6h.jpg

I'm aware its rather featureless as far as bases go but again I am representing the photograph which seams to place the aircraft on what I can only describe as a golf course!

So now to populate the scene - I was originally intending to do a representation of the actual photo but with the deadline looming and the lack of figures in the exact poses It was impossible to say the least.

Although I was adamant that I would included the the mechanic in the far right holding the wing tip as I felt he brought so much to the original image.

To create this gentleman I used the miniature by the very talented Martin Hille of Kellerkind Miniaturen. So out with the knife and after beheading and removing his right arm I went about reshaping him for the job.

Sorry Martin!

DSC_0402_zpsnnqhzfbn.jpg

DSC_0387_zpsmtxgfufr.jpg

Time for paint!

mech%201_zpskt13bllh.jpg

DSC_0549_zpshl3thojs.jpg

So where to go from here? Looking at the original there are actually 5 people in the photo , 3 mechanics and the pilot and observer, why not make a scene with the other mechanics....... RIGHT ON IT!

So now for the two guys out of shot. I got thinking "How the hell did the pilot get up on the cockpit cowling? Did he climb? I think not as the chief mechanic would have had a fit! Ladder, he must of had a ladder and there is no bloody way they would have left him up there without seeing it was safe to do so first......SAFETY FIRST SIR!"

So on to my next chap.

mech%203_zpsuce0esjm.jpg

I just love this guys expression - such a shame the ModelKasten figures are very badly molded!

mech%204_zps2wpi1qmw.jpg

So whats he laughing at, well that would be the comedian of the squadron Jurgen Koch! (Made up name)

"Can you smell kerosene?....oh I laughed my head off!"

Sorry I'm getting mentally tired and maybe a little high on the fumes!

DSC_0511_zps06b0z8gy.jpg

mech%205_zpsgk9srqk0.jpg

So with time short I needed to pull the plug - I have one more miniature that is 4% complete but rather than rush it I decided to add him and the observer at a later date I think the 3 mechanics do a wonderful job of setting the scene.

Thank you all to those that have followed and offered help, support and most of all encouragement throughout the build, the motivation I gained from you taking the time to post even the smallest of comments made a difference in my mindset that I can't possibly explain but it made me push my limits and develop my skills - peer pressure is a wonderful motivator when used for the positive.

I have really enjoyed the experience of working to a deadline and there were a few moments when I didn't think I would make it - Decals falling apart in the water - pieces requiring customization or building from scratch and finally trying to paint 5 miniatures in 48 hours and get photos taken in time for today and the experience of working on this unique aircraft, taking the plunge and working on something outside of the box (pun intended) is something I encourage  you all to do., take a deep breath and just keep placing one foot in front of the other and enjoy the process.

It's Tuesday morning and I'm still mentally and physically exhausted but sad as I feel I'm missing something from my life now I no longer need to keep  thinking about the build and the next step or process I need to achieve...... I guess I need to start looking for my next project!