The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Bf 110D of II./NJG3 (1/32 Dragon)

Really looking good, John!  But curse you for getting me all enthused about building another 110, I keep breaking out that Super Bug G-4 conversion set and daydreaming!

Mike, I would LOVE to see you do another 110! As for the G-4 "conversion", I'm still hoping that it comes from Dragon/CyberHobby, in the form of an entire kit. ;):D

Thanks,

John

Thanks, George.

Even though it would probably work (not even "probably", because yours turned out great!), I'm more of a traditionalist and would rather attach the wings before painting. Also, I've heard concerns about dihedral on this kit and want to be sure that I get it to look right. That could mean shimming the bottom wing to fuselage seam. But, I guess we'll see how it goes and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks again,

John

Thanks, Ralph.

I'm already there, actually. I got the fuselage halves together with only a little bit of pushing and squeezing to align everything. The upper deck is nearly complete. However, I ran into a couple of issues/questions while working on it. First, I somehow managed to lose the small console that hangs off the bottom of the sill to the pilot's right side. I had attached and painted it and now it's gone! I also lost one of the four small handles (front left) somewhere along the way. So, I'm sure that by the time I scratchbuild and install new ones, they'll turn up. :rolleyes: I also installed the small clear part on the right side of the sill. However, a couple photos I found online leave me wondering why this part is clear in the kit. Is there a part of it that's supposed to be, but I just can't see it and what exactly is it, to begin with? Last, but not least, I see that I still have to fill/sand the vent on the right side of the fuselage, as that wasn't implemented until the E variant, according to my references.

20151121_140145_zpsejqmpbq1.jpg

Bf%20110%20Cockpit_zpsqprhlxxy.jpg

Otherwise, all is going well and I'm really getting anxious to get this together. I hope you're right Ralph, in that it will "grow" quickly!

Edit: The more I look at that gadget, the more it looks like a telegraph instrument????

Thanks again,

John

• Like 1

• Members

Thanks, George.

Even though it would probably work (not even "probably", because yours turned out great!), I'm more of a traditionalist and would rather attach the wings before painting. Also, I've heard concerns about dihedral on this kit and want to be sure that I get it to look right. That could mean shimming the bottom wing to fuselage seam. But, I guess we'll see how it goes and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks again,

John

I think I mentioned that I had to do a little filling on mine along the bottom of the wing root so I'd definitely recommend going that route.

Thanks, guys!

looking good so far. That little box thingy, could it be for morse code?

That's what I was thinking, Bevan. However, I still don't know for sure. All I know is that I painted the part to try to match the photo, as closely as I could!

Next up, I started working on the wing slats. Just have the upper portions cut out, for now. Still have to cut from the bottom halves, as well and clean everything up before adding the inserts, behind them.

20151122_130201_zpsumfehczr.jpg

20151122_124041_zpss9llprc3.jpg

Cheers,

John

Last night and for a bit this morning, I continued working on the slats. I managed to put some inserts in the wings where I had cut them from. I also got the seams smoothed out and primed and started thinning the edges (the cut left a pretty thick appearance, which you can see in the slat on the left).

20151122_235403_zpsafx9yq0v.jpg

20151123_081632_zpstbn37glw.jpg

From here, I'll probably leave the rest of the work in this area until the wings are put together. So, next up will be the wheel/gear bays.

John

• Like 4

I managed to get the other gear bay done this evening and primed them in aluminum, then followed with a coat of RLM 02. I'll let them dry overnight and get to the detail painting, tomorrow. However, I'm not sure what color the small canisters should be and I can't seem to find a solid reference on that, anywhere. Anyone know for sure?

20151124_002452_zpskklv95ky.jpg

After the details are dry, I'll shoot a flat coat, then do some weathering on them.

John

• Like 1

On the G4 at Hendon they are painted in the same color as the rest of the wheelbay, but my guess is that it has been repainted several times. As far as I can tell the canisters are part of the hydraulic system of the landing gear, but I'm not 100% sure.

You also had a question about a little thing on the right hand side of the rear cockpit. I've seen the same thing on the Me410 so i did some research. It's a 'tastgerät', indeed part of the radio equipement and used for sending out morse-code. it looks like this:

tastgerat_tg_2a_674125.jpg

• Like 3

More progress on the wheel bays. I'm still unsure on the color of the little canisters, but they're 02 for now. This will sit over the next couple days, so if some info comes to light on what color they should actually be, I have a window to change them. If not, I can live with how they look, now.

20151124_095156_zpss4nvjdhy.jpg

20151124_095507_zps9tvryxth.jpg

20151124_095527_zpsallr0tdh.jpg

Thanks again!

John

• Like 4

Thanks, guys!

Nice work on the slats.  Kind of surprised that there's no aftermarket for those or the flaps and ailerons.

I believe Mastercasters makes a set of slats, but I didn't bother to get a set. I figured I could cut these out and revamp them just as easily (and cheaper, too!). A flap set would be a great addition, though.

John

• Like 1

Great to see your progress.  Can't help with the canister colour.

Thanks, Ralph. I've looked at pretty much every build I can find of this kit and have seen several variations, but nothing that seems to be a "smoking gun" reference for it. I'll probably just leave them as they are and won't worry about it any longer. I should probably be focusing my energy on more important (read: visible) things, anyway!

Thanks again,

John

Last night, I managed to get the radiators installed. I painted them with aluminum and added a black, oil wash. The intakes/housings were painted in RLM 65 on the outside and front halves of the interior and 02 on the rear halves of the interior. There will be black overspray on the underside when complete, but I figured that some of the original paint would still likely be visible inside the intakes and the exterior will have a little wear that reveals the original color, as well.

20151125_074950_zps6bqwo2j7.jpg

20151125_075039_zpsunokygb4.jpg

20151125_075156_zps8ele8jli.jpg

I might try to assemble some other parts over the holiday, in the next couple days, but probably won't make any major progress. However, by next week I should be driving hard to finish this one, as soon as possible!

John

• Like 1