The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Sopwith Camel, 1:8 Hasegawa

I have been watching this site with great interest for some time now and really enjoy the work that has been presented.  This 1:32 scale is beyond me so for my first on site project I will begin with a 1:8 Sopwith Camel.  My wife Emily has only said that "you are not hanging that from the ceiling light, keep it in your shop".  Well my shop is the small spare bedroom and there really isn't enough air space for a Camel with a 42 inch wing span.  I'll start with the Clerget 9B engine and see what develops.  Pix to follow.

TOMc                

• Like 4

To begin with the wood in the kit is Japanese Cypress and 3/32 inch plywood, with no knots that I can see.  I just finished staining all the wood with MinWax Golden Oak.  It darkened it up some but not to much.   When finished the model will be displayed with bare bones, even the 9 cylinder engine will not have the cowling to cover it.  I have begun cleaning and painting the engine, all the nut and bolt heads have been removed and new bolt holes drilled.   Final assembly will happen when the washers ordered from ModelMotorcars and Scale Hardware arrive.  They make and sell really small stuff.  The attached picture is of a bending Jig for the replacement valve lifter springs. Sorry no Pix yet.  It said something about a Media File.  I'll go look for it.      

Ok, ok, ok  I have tried everything that I know and a lot that I don't and I still can't download pictures. I have a clean Windows 7 machine and have read and tried all the other member suggestions.  I think this problem is bigger than me. 

Meanwhile back at the ranch There will be a weeks delay with the delivery of my Model Motorcars washers so no engine assembly until then.  I just found a discrepancy between the 1:8 Clerget engine kit and the full 1:8 Camel kit.  The kit engine does not include the magneto and oil pump it provides parts for a mini motor set up and prop rotation.  I found a great resource at PJVision.nl for the Camel it has animation and enough pictorial information to build the mag, pump and other parts that I need.  I am sure that you will agree that just because my 1:8 scale is larger than 1:12, or your 1:32 is larger than 1:48 that the work is easier.  Not so, It only makes the detail more evident.

TOMc

Created an Photobucket account but still unable to transfer pix. Going to try Flickr, what ever that is.  Just seems to me that there should be a more user friendly way to upload pictures.

TOMc

Still no pictures yet  but at least I can cancel the Image Properties box, its a start.  The perspective drawings from PJVision were a great help in modeling the ignition components, oil pump, fuel pump and carburetor for the Clerget.  It has two magnetos, I had one on an old Triumph 650 kick starter I rode back in the day.  A real nice motorcycle.  Still waiting on washers and other do-dads for the engine and gas tanks so it looks like I will start on the wood fuselage tomorrow.  The stain should be well dried by now.  I electroplated the brass exhaust pipes and they look good so I am going to Nickle Plate the rest of the brass parts as well. The kit that I have is a CASWELL Plug 'n Plate System from Micro-Mark.

TOMc             

If you select a particular picture then on the right side of the screen you can see four different links, it's the lower one with IMG in front of the link. Copy this, if this has been succesful you should see the word : copied. Then go to your thread, post the link with control V, if you are finished with the post then you can preview it or just hit post, then the pic should come on the screen.

Good luck

Cees

Photo08_zpsjgdeoqxb.jpg

Looks like the pix thing worked again.  With this kit you are better off going with what you know and never mind what the kit says, which is not much.   The kit comes with a nice bending jig so just soak the areas to be bent in alcohol, clamp it in the jig and let dry over night, easy peasy. But noooo. The instructions show 2mm cuts along the edge surface to relieve stress along at the bend, wet with water, clamp in the jig, let dry overnight.  You end up with razor saw cuts that are exaggerated by the wood stain.  Emily said that I am being to critical but I see it as an unnecessary flaw. Other than that how is your day going.  I have the gas and oil tanks stripped painted and ready for rivets.   The new straps are being made from cloth tape, solder wire and other bits and pieces. I'll take a pix after I get a tension device worked out.

TOMc

Photo12_zpsqlg6l8di.jpg

The fuselage frame is coming along fine, only one small problem.  The water based glue that was holding the frame together rejected the oil base stain that it was saturated with.  Some nails,superglue and epoxy put humpty-dumpty back together again.  The straps are installed on the gas tanks and are awaiting replacement rivets.   

Check out the bug sucker that I purchased from American Science & Surplus.  I installed a finer mesh before the small induction fan and now I can clean up the work area without the worry of loosing parts to the shop-vac.

TOMc    

All the parts for step three of the instructions are finished and I get to experience the great feeling of turning the page.  I down't know about you but whenever I complete the fabrication of a part or complete a section of the model it gives me a great sense of accomplishment and this does wonders for my immune system.