The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

converting the HK Models prototype Lancaster into a Manchester.

Small update without pic (yet).

Today I managed to make some more progress on scratchbuilding the interior during the IPMS modelling afternoon which is organised on a regular scale. Great possibilities to keep the interest going. Pics soon.

• Like 2

Here's the pic showing the navigator seat in place (in the shadows), the radio boxes have been fitted to a new bulkhead as the previous one was not wide enough and the panelling protecting the wiring looms on the startboard side have been fitted as well as the base for the flight engineers panels just above it. Interior is a mix of Manchester and Lancaster as details of it's older sister are difficult to find and as the early Lancasters were converted Manchester, well... you know what I mean.:)

Manchester1.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Thanks Tom,

Well that was why I buillt the P-40E in Dutch colours to get something finished. Unlike you I only work in 1/32 and a 1/72 or 1/48

build in between doesn't thrill me (anymore). But these conversion projects are much fun but you need to have patience. The Manchester

will be finished but whether before or after the Lancaster is released I don't know.:D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update time,

Last saturday afternoon one of the SIG RAF/USAAF ipms modelling afternoons took place and these are great opportunities to get some more work done on the Manchester.

The location for the instrument panel has been made, this will provide a base for a newly scratchbuilt panel, the navigators position also got some more

constructive work done. It was fun and productive at the same time.

20170508_190606.jpg

20170508_190553.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after having finished two models in a short time my hands were itching to resume work on the Manchester.

The dividing line between the bomb doors was scribed. Then a start was made scribing the top wing surfaces.

A good feeling working on this mammoth project again.

Will tickle Jeroen to discuss the design if the engine nacelles.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Today made some more progress. The wings have been rescribed. The tape is temporarily to test if the lines do not show underneath and will be replaced with aluminium tape to represent the strips covering the wingjoints.

Also a start has been made on the engine nacelles. I had to dismantle the undercarriage again to prevent breakage during handling. 

These are the centre parts, the rear will have to be reshaped with milliput and the fronts will have to be reconstructed after the engine sections

have been completed ( hopefully 3d printed).

Slowly but surely progress is being made.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks for posting your progress, it's inspiring to watch. I just finished viewing a great documentary on the Lanc, and it was hosted by no other than a young Obi-Wan :: WWII Bomber Boys of Britain with Ewan McGregor. I'd never seen it before or much on this bomber until then. It's a fantastic show about a fantastic plane.

Anyway, thanks again.

WWII Bomber Boys of Britain with Ewan McGregor

More progress

Made the windows for the front fuselage from a discarded cd-box casing. Also work continues on the engine nacelle. The rear of the Lancaster mock up nacelles are undernourished so will have to be reshaped. Luckily I never throw any discarded parts away as they can be used as a basis. The end of the nacelle slides into the front when the flaps are deployed so a cut has been made to represent the join.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Some more progress.

The rear ends of the nacelles are nearly finished. I put on some Mr Surfacer 500 to smooth things out. The interior of the nacelles have been painted black to prevent the light colour of the printed plastic to show up. Getting there.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Me too, getting there but work concentrates on the wings and tailplane at the moment. Yesterday was a setback for the project as the starboard elevator cracked and had to be repaired. The hinges are very weak as well so I have to rework them and mount them with metal rods to be safe. Sh*t happens, but that is part of the game.:)

• Like 1

The aileron just needs a coat of Mr Surfacer 500 to blend everything in and then it's done. The ailerons will be attached to the wings using steel rods to make a very stiff bond as glue and Tamiya tape do not hold very well. And this lessens the risk of glue clogging the joint. The same will be done to the elevators which have broken off three times already so drastic measures are imminent;)

After the ailerons have been fitted I will start on scribing the various inspection hatches and panels, so the wings are really nearing completion, and then it's time to have a look at the engines and props. The latter are massive regarding span and it will be difficult to adapt excisting parts. Hmmm.

• Like 2