The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

converting the HK Models prototype Lancaster into a Manchester.

Photobucket was down for a while, but seems to be working again.

The endpieces are ready bar a bit of mr surfacer to fill some seams. The ends need to have a section taken out to

fit the fins against.

Cees

20160129_194233_zpsno0nhssf.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks,

I thought about that but I will probably chicken out from that exercise. I have insufficient information regarding the rivetting lines from the

Manchester/Lancaster. Apart from that the rivets on the fuselage are not flush but round headed. The only possible way would be to

skin the model with lithoplate or some other material as Peter from Airscale has been doing.

Cees

• Like 1

Hi Gus,

It is, being careful is the only way to do it. I still have to sand the fuselage and windows to get them flush all over and then polish for

a smooth surface. Have done it before, so no problem hopefully.
Cees

Hi Neil,

I have been thinking about those tailplanes. I kept the cut off pieces but think it is too much work so I will model one of the 20 early Manchesters instead.

If I were you keep the tailplanes as is, would be a shame if that fine model gets damaged.

Cheers

Cees

Edit,

Thinking again and looking at pics the span screams at me. So While I was still working on the tailplanes I decided to restore them to the original Lancaster configuration using the previously discarded parts.

Sorry Neil.

Cees

20160203_152705_zpsigttne2p.jpg

• Like 2

Fully agree Neil.

In fact it makes sense having two larger fins instead of three smaller ones.

This evening re-engraving some of the panellines is on the agenda after the heavy sanding eradicated some of them.

Then using Parket+ to restore clarity to the windows and after that masking them. That will be difficult to make all masks

uniform.

Pics to follow later.

Cees

And very easy when others solve your problems LOL. Thanks George.

In fact I was thinking the opposite by making a template similar to the windows I made in clear plastic and use that

to put it on tape, cut around it with scissors and stick it on. Uniform masks everytime.

Modelling is fun.

Yesterday the panellines have been rescribed, only need to make the windows a bit more clear.

Getting there slowly.

Cees

Indeed George,

Unfortunately it didn't work very well. Difficult to get a nice rounded shape at the ends despite having thick plastic card as a

template. Will try your option now, so now I will have to empty a beer can. ;)

The tailplanes however are now sorted, so they can be sribed. Pics soon. It was a picless weekend.

Cees

Thanks Craig,

Still no pics although I laminated some plasticcard to make the central fin. Some more carving and filing to do.

No luck yet on masking the windows, can't get them uniform. The only solution would be custom made masks

on a plotter cutter. Anyone have any ideas?

Cees

A pic, finally! Although Photobucket didn't behave to rotate it.

The tailplanes have been rescribed and are ready to make the new elevator hinges. The elevators have the previously discarded

pieces glued back on. Never throw anything away in projects such as these. Although I could not find the triangular pieces.

A start has been made on rescribing the fins too, At the bottom is the blank for the central fin. This is made from three layers

of thick plasticard. This will need some serious hacking and carving.

Cheers

Cees

20160210_200327_zps2duvuocm.jpg

Update,

I took the central fin blank to the museum where some very coarse files are in the workshop. This made work easier to get the

aerofoil created.

It was fun to have Jeroen and George dropping by for a LSM get together. While talking I kept filing the fin covering both

Jeroen and George in plastic dust. At home I finished off the basic shape. As the central fin was a steel tube construction

covered with fabric I still have to add the ribtapes. The photo's show the general layout of the triple tail with 33 foot span

and the central fin aerofoil. The elevators still need a bit of plastic transplant.

Cheers

Cees

20160213_165018_zps12tjgdtw.jpg

20160213_165008_zps8ojqa90s.jpg

20160213_164956_zpsvt0eiper.jpg

20160213_165032_zpstqzudpwf.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks,

I thought about that but I will probably chicken out from that exercise. I have insufficient information regarding the rivetting lines from the

Manchester/Lancaster. Apart from that the rivets on the fuselage are not flush but round headed. The only possible way would be to

skin the model with lithoplate or some other material as Peter from Airscale has been doing.

Cees

You could use these for rivetting: http://hgwmodels.cz/en/132-scale/320-free-lines-positive-rivets-132-321000.html

• Like 1

Did some work on rescribing the tailfins. The rounded one on the leading edges gave a lot of trouble. In the end I made a simple tool with a needle and some plasticcard. It worked although the lines are a bit rough here and there. I think I will mask this and apply some mr surfacer. These skins were screwed onto mahogany shaped ribs on the Lanc and I suspect they were too on the Manc.

Cees

20160215_200011_zpsb7ryjnmr.jpg

It's really fascinating to follow builds like this. Modeling is truly an art form that requires widespread skills. Scratch building is fun to watch because of the creativity of the modeler meeting his physical abilities. Long winded way of saying "Wow, that's cool".

• Like 1

Thanks F1, but it also sometimes a bit of masochism. Have spent two evenings to restore the elevators. I call them Frankenvators as they have been modified so many times now. If you keep them in front of a light source you can see the sawcuts everywhere. The 3D printed plastic sometimes has a mind of it's

own and a glued joint suddenly comes loose. Also undoing the conversion to the earlier 28 foot span of the early Manchester back into the Lancaster 33 foot span

has taken a lot of effort, but getting there.

Cees