The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

converting the HK Models prototype Lancaster into a Manchester.

@James....Woehaha! It will make Telford but not finished yet, or will it be?

@Jeroen, wow that would be great, in the meantime I will work on the elevators.

This project keeps motivating me, love it.

Cees

Not by me! However, in the meantime the port elevator has been covered in strips cut from Tamiya tape representing the serrated fabric tapes as used on the Manchester. Like the fin this will be covered by mr surfacer to seal everything in. It looks great already.

Cees

20160517_201543_zpskhboea94.jpg

• Like 2

And the starboard elevator. As you can see they are not exactly like the manual but close, and that is what I'm aiming for. No perfection, as there is non. Just to create the illusion.

Next a coat of mr surfacer. Then the trimtabs can be refitted at a shallow

angle after that the hinges will be made up so the elevators can be fitted to the tailplane.

Cees

20160518_202330_zps0e0nez3i.jpg

• Like 1

As promised, the mr surfacer seals in the tape and evens out the surface. The elevators are on the table

lower than the tailplane, optical illusion that the elevators are too short, which they are not. Hope they

will be fitted this weekend.

Cees

20160519_194306_zps6cb8qbq5.jpg

• Like 2

Typical, I always like to take a peek at a model under construction. And yesterday evening I knocked the port elevator off.
So had to do some quick repairs before going to work this morning. :huh::D
Cees

Hi Gus,

Nope, it was quickly put back. :) Due to the size of the airframe it has knocked me around the head several times. :D

You would think the Manchester is smaller due to the shorter wingspan but the wings look more bulkier.

Been looking into the tail and dorsal turrets and plan on using templates from the drawings to make a plastic card

frame and fill that in with milliput. The plan is to crashform the cupola's. But haven't done that before so should be

interesing. For the time being I concentrate on the rear fuselage to finish the detailing of the trimtab actuators and fin

bits and then work my way forward. It keeps on growing though.

Cees

Hehe, the spoils of war, that was after I cleaned up, you should have seen how the workbench looked before that. Like squashed mini-minions.

But it took 1 1/2 hours to stick the tapes on (underside too). But with a coat of Mr Surfacer it would look just as good

as the elevators. Now on to the starboard aileron (heavy sigh).

Cees

• Like 3