The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

converting the HK Models prototype Lancaster into a Manchester.

Hi Tom,

Have been thinking about that. The bombdoors have been cut away. I did make some triangular stiffeners under the cockpitfloor which are in the way if the doors are open. But although I haven't made my mind up I think open doors would look great. Hmm, so it seems I have just made up my mind.

More work, but that will be fun. Will concentrate on the general airframe though for the time being to be able

to show at Telford,

Cees

Both ailerons have received another coat of that magic stuff as have the dorsal turret and central fin fairings. Apart from the nose/cockpit section and engine nacelles the basic structure is finished. Now onto the bombbay and undercarriage. The former needs to be completely scratchbuild, the latter uses the unmodified lancaster assemblies.

Cheers

Cees

20160529_150329_zps7ndmkimv.jpg

Evening all

Had to make a new bombayfloor as the other one was too thick and would lie too low. Sticking tge strips did not go too well and had to rethink my strategy. Also made stub pieces on the sides to get an even support along the lenght.

Cheers

Cees

20160606_191626_zpseut1w4ia.jpg

Tom,

No, that is where I will stop, never been a fan of doing wheelbays as you can barely see into them unless you place the model

over a mirror. When I did the Revell Beaufighter I did some extensive scratchbuilding on the interior and exteror but left the

bays alone, when picking up the model from time to time I never notice anyway.

The wheeldoors also prevent seing into it. I think I have my work cut out already with the bombay and cockpit.

Do you have an in progress pic of your Lancaster bombay?

Cees

Tom,

No, that is where I will stop, never been a fan of doing wheelbays as you can barely see into them unless you place the model

over a mirror. When I did the Revell Beaufighter I did some extensive scratchbuilding on the interior and exteror but left the

bays alone, when picking up the model from time to time I never notice anyway.

The wheeldoors also prevent seing into it. I think I have my work cut out already with the bombay and cockpit.

Do you have an in progress pic of your Lancaster bombay?

Cees

Fair enough - and being black it won't reflect a lot of light anyway. When I did my Lanc I put a fair bit of detail in the bays but you didn't really see much at all. It'll be a different story with my Shack though as it's all white...

I'm afraid I don't have any pictures of the Lancaster anymore as my old computer's hard drive went pop, along with over 1,300 photos of models - the Lancaster included. So far I haven't been able to get any off - I'm desperate to retrieve the Halifax in progress pics too as I've been asked to compile an article for a magazine; it's all rather frustrating. 

When it came to building the bay structure on my Lancaster I added the cross section structure first, and then the longerons down the length of the bay over the top of the cross sections. Not strictly 'accurate' in terms of the real aircraft, but once it's all painted up with some wiring here and there and with some bombs slung underneath you don't see a huge amount anyway. 

Speaking of bombs - will this be carrying a full load?

• Like 1

Tom,

Don'thave any of these, would have to find out if there are any aftermarket ones available. But a full load with doors open always look great to my eyes.

Being the Manchester these will have to be the early long tail ones with the mustard yellow finish.

Cees

• 1 month later...

Hi Tom,

It will be finished but I haven't touched it for a month. The bomb bay turns out to be a stumbling block

but I intend to start work on the wings soon, the landing lights for instance.

Cees

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

It will be finished but I haven't touched it for a month. The bomb bay turns out to be a stumbling block

but I intend to start work on the wings soon, the landing lights for instance.

Cees

I know where you're coming from. I've been the same with the Shackleton.

Sometimes a good break and a return with fresh eyes is all that's needed.

Thanks Tom,

I know, the HK Models Mossie is beckoning me at the moment. But I have resisted so far. That one has already started

as a prototype conversion with the flaps already having been modified to the single flaps. But I still am making plans for the Manchester, so haven't given up.

Cees

• Like 2