The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

converting the HK Models prototype Lancaster into a Manchester.

Dear Cees

I am converting a Beaufighter mk1F Revell 1/32 into a merlin powered IIF. Obviously the main problem is represented by the nacelles... I was considering different alternatives (classical wood molding and vacuforming, or 3d printing) and all in all I think that the outer nacelles of HK Models Lancaster could provide a useful - and immediate - starting basis for the conversion. Now, I see that you are turning a Lancaster into a Manchester. I was wondering whether you may be glad to sell the remaining outer nacelles (plus propellers and spinners).

Thank you so much for your kind attention and help.

All the best Giorgio Mancinelli

• Like 1

@Anthony, thanks and this is not a standard HKM Lancaster but the 3D-printed prototype devoid of any detail.

@Neil, good to see you here again mate and now get those modelling juices flowing again.

Glad that the canopy is on now, some more blending in into the surrounding area and then the FN-5 turret is next.

Getting there.

Cheers

Cees

• Like 5

Well I am happy the canopy has been fitted neatly.

the sides will need to be blended in with mr surfacer. The open areas not covered by the DN Models masks have been filled in with tape.

the FN-5 turret is almost complete bar some details and the drilling out of the lightening hole in the trunnionstays. The early turrets were predominantly aluminium so this one will be too.

What luxury having so many spares at hand.

Cheers

Cees

942D4675-6215-4D42-9902-9A7679BCD8FE.jpeg

A84984DB-33A0-4963-861D-30F1DFAF2994.jpeg

54E154C8-B2A3-449C-A596-0D8E956EA11A.jpeg

866C249D-49FE-4C41-9B31-BBF8C3727354.jpeg

B77E0B29-E083-4F4E-AD59-5608266EE1AE.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I think you might want to research the ammunition feeds on the FN5a turret, they look very odd to me. On the FN5 turret (taller one without the "waisted" rear, as fitted to Wellingtons) the feed curves upwards from the horizontal, initially, from the tanks, then twists though 90 degrees. Rather than exiting the tanks vertically before curving to the horizontal and then twisting. If you take a look at my thread on FN5 turrets you'll see the correct structure, although the Manchester probably didn't have the rectangular slots in the outer face which were a squadron adaption.

If you like, I can adapt the CAD drawing for mine (to thicken the material) and let you have an .stl file that could then be printed...

Edited:

This is the clearest shot I can find of an FN5a from a Lancaster, which I think demonstrates the correct curvatures of the ammunition feeds. Looking at the FN50 (Lancaster mid-upper), the feeds are likewise horizontal initially climbing and twisting progressively as they approach the guns. I cannot - so far - find any Frazer Nash turret with the feeds as supplied with your turret model. Looks like a manufacturing error. I hope this helps.

lanc nose.jpg

Edited by Fidd88
addition of picture
  • Like 4

Wingco57,

I've done a "fast and dirty" rework the CAD drawing of chutes I know to be correct for the FN5, and as far as I can tell they're correct for the FN5a as fitted to your Manchester. The rework has consisted of making them much "thicker" in terms of the material so it has half a chance of being printable in Nylon at your scale. Or you can just use them for reference to scratch-build by other means, if indeed you wish to. Rescaling them to match the scale of your model is a moments work. What would help in this regard is to know what the height of them is, using the top of the ammunition tanks as the bottom reference, and the top of the chute as the other. I can then rescale it, so they will definitely appear the correct size to yours. As I often am submitting stuff for printing, I could 6 or so of these and just pop them in the post - if you wish. Please don't feel compelled to do so!

Anyway, here's a picture of the thickened chutes left and right-handed, I figure you might need 3 or so pairs, assuming the front and mid-upper turrets have the same problem, plus a couple spare. If memory serves, the Manchester has an FN4 or FN4a In the rear, and I'm not familiar with the chutes in that turret. Drop me a pm if you're interested in having these done?

reworked ammo chutes for manchester.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info Fidd,

I will use your image as seen in the previous post to scratchbuild some new chutes as I am aware that the ones in the kit are not accurate. Mind you I will only make it a representation as I tend to not lose much sleep over such a thing.:)

Cheers

Cees

• Like 2

On 10/11/2019 at 5:28 PM, giorgio_man said:

Ciao Ces let me know how we can arrange with the Lancaster nacelles...

Hi Giorgio,

I checked to see if I had a set of Lanc cowlings left but it seems that I gave both of them away some time ago. I have none remaining.

Sorry.

Cees

• Like 2

LOL. What an idjit I am, I've only just noticed that the one fitted to the lanc above are different to mine, in that the open edge of the feed is on the outboard edge towards the top, which has completely weirded me out. This would mean the rounds were not visible to the gunner as viewed from his seat, and in turn would make it much much harder to feed the rounds from the tanks to the guns when initially loading. This has me completely foxed now. I took the design of mine from an RAF instructional film. I'll look into this further and get back to you.

• Like 2

Sorry about the confusion, Okay, what I think we're looking at in the lanc pic above is a later iteration, and I think it looks like this, possibly with short joining stretches to keep the runs parallel and correctly spaced. Without getting a good look at the actual turret I can't be sure, but knowing how the guns have their belts drawn up the chutes with the arming wire, it's hard to see how this could be achieved without the side facing the gunner being open to view. Again I've thickened the chutes to make them printable.

RH ammo chute for manchester v3.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/14/2019 at 1:44 PM, Fidd88 said:

LOL. What an idjit I am, I've only just noticed that the one fitted to the lanc above are different to mine, in that the open edge of the feed is on the outboard edge towards the top, which has completely weirded me out. This would mean the rounds were not visible to the gunner as viewed from his seat, and in turn would make it much much harder to feed the rounds from the tanks to the guns when initially loading. This has me completely foxed now. I took the design of mine from an RAF instructional film. I'll look into this further and get back to you.

On 10/14/2019 at 8:22 AM, Wingco57 said:

Hi Giorgio,

I checked to see if I had a set of Lanc cowlings left but it seems that I gave both of them away some time ago. I have none remaining.

Sorry.

Cees

Ciao Cees, ok no problem thanks a lot Giorgio

• Like 2

Thanks Anthony,

One problem that rears it's head sometimes is that I am working with a 3D printed prototype and using production injection moulded parts. It seems like the position where the noseturet needs to go sits is a bit higher than the kit which makes that the fairing between the turret and the fuselage doesn't fit. The acorn is a bit too high as a result of this. I cannot adjust the turret and only a limited amount of the turret seat can be adjusted so have to find a way to modify the acorn to conform to the top of the turret.

But that's part of the fun.

Cees

• Like 5