The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Not sure if two years is quite right, but definitely within five.

No idea re: the masks. I hand-paint the tires on my builds. But the outer hub has a pronounced rim and the inners are separate...

they way I see it. 

If Tamiya drops an F4U this fall the Jug seems to be the next in line (R2800).  Besides, they already have the CAD data for their really good fitting 1:48 Jug,  Sure, there will be major revisions but at least it's a start point.  They way 1:32 is taking off in the marketplace, it seems like good decision making.

Making great progress Rick! Hope those cowl seams stay smooth. Can't wait to see these side by side (or nose to nose?) at a club meeting.

thanks Vivian, they may not be done at same time.  however, the possibility does exist in a remote kind of way.  :)

Fantastic Idea with the plug Rick! I am going to steal that for my Hase build when time comes!

that's great Dave.  warms my heart you can benefit from my skill-sets as I have sponged a great deal from you.

i do recommend you at least wait until I wrap up at least one of these birds for final evaluation.

• 3 weeks later...

WINGS & THINGS

Finally had some bench time.  Engines completed.  Fuselage, wings and tail plane glued.  Fit was good, not spectacular.  Some seam work needed on the fuselage and a annoying gap at lower wing joint.

002CuttingTool.jpg

Circular cutting tool works great for making paint masks.

001EngineFinish.jpg

RW2800's done and ready for test fit. These will be given a weathering wash before final installation.  Pratt & Whitney logo plate decal in place on both engines. Engine on left is Russian Jug and has ignition wires installed. Slick Chick engine on right is built OOB.

02RU_SC.jpg

Slick Chick on left and Russian Jug on right.  Engine and landing gear dry fitted.  Canopies are in position to protect cockpits during sanding, handling, etc.  Fuselage seams slightly puttied, sanded and scribed.  There may be more work after primer applied.  Upper and lower wing roots will need some attention.  Kit wheels are on now, will be using Barracuda's awesome resin wheels.

03RULtSide.jpg

Russian Jug.  Landing flaps will be down on both planes.  The Russian Jug is getting lots of Eduard PE stuff.

01SC.jpg

Slick Chick engine is OOB.  My original plan was to build Slick Chick completely OOB.  However, the belts had to be added and the wheels replaced.  Engine will be removed and weathered.  The detail is sparse, just enough to get by after cowling is buttoned up.

04RU_Engine01.jpg

A little PE treatment in the Russian Jug engine.  On deck for some weathering.  Dust is everywhere....sorry 'bout that.

06Wing_Gap.jpg

Lower wing root has slight gap when wings set and glued at proper dihedral, sooo...

07Wing_GapFilled.jpg

a little plastic card nested in the gaps.  Trim and scribe to come.  Big gap in center fuselage is where the center tank mount will be placed.

08Tissue_Stuff.jpg

The turbine exhaust cover will be placed after painting complete.  Concerned about paint particles making it to cockpit as the back of pit exposed.  A little tissue stuffed behind pit will protect from paint. 

Stuffing tissue and Jugs...there seems to be some type of correlation.  Not sure why, it's just a feeling.

Hopefully will get these two hit with primer in the next few days.

• Like 3

Guest styrenedemon

Looking really good to me. You must have a lot of room on your bench to rest those double Ds....(get it...lol)....those Jugs are more than a handful at that scale.

• Like 1

Looking really good to me. You must have a lot of room on your bench to rest those double Ds....(get it...lol)....those Jugs are more than a handful at that scale.

Bench not that big so I have to play with them one at a time, being sure I give equal, careful and satisfying attention to both.

thanks Dave...sorry for your angst with the Trumpy Jug.  my Trumpy Jugs going on eBay any day now!

I'll be selling mine soon...well except the P-47N.

I think that is a great idea!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

GAME CHANGER

NOVA IPMS 2013 Model Classic in 7 days and I hoped to have both Jugs done by 27 April.  At this point I am abandoning "Slick Chick" and focus on the Russian Jug.  "Slick Chick" got whacked due the the time needed to do a NMF using Alclad II paints.  She will be on hold for a short time. 

Meanwhile the Russian Jug is getting full attention.  Will evaluate build status on Wed and decide if I am going to push for completion by 26 April.  Am not going to rush the Russian.

First coat of primer on trouble areas (seams, etc) and have some additional sanding as well as touch ups on scribing and rivet detail.

Latest is Tail Wheel Door ejector marks filled, Nav Lights cut out, Bombs painted and detail treatment on the Bazookas.  Bombs and Bazookas are for "Slick Chick" and will be "binned" until the Russian Jug is wrapped up.

TAIL WHEEL DOORS

TailDoor_EjectFill.jpg

Ejector holes filled with Mr. Surfacer 500 and sanded.

BOMBS

Bombs_ODPainted.jpg

Bombs for "Slick Chick" painted OD.  Texture is hard to see in this pic, but I am happy with results.  Yeah, more dust!  Not sure if yellow ID stripes will be added. 

BAZOOKAS

Bazooka01_LeadWire.jpg

The bazookas are from a Trumpy P47N.  Using flat lead wire (UMM-USA FLW103 Flat Lead Wires 1.0 X 0.3mm) and rivet tool I enhanced the detail on the tubes.  The difference is markable.

Bazooka02_LeadWire.jpg

The painted bazooka (black then OD) shows good detail otherwise lost.  Into the "Slick Chick" bin with the bombs for now.  After Russian Jug will finish other bazooka and weather.

NAVIGATION LIGHTS

NavLightCut01.jpg

Cutting out the nav lights was truly a PITA.  Will have to do same to "Slick Chick".  Not looking forward to it.

NavLightCut02.jpgIn

Nav light cut out and will sand to fit clear lens.

The next few days will be devoted specifically to the Russian Jug.  Hope to final prime and preshade by this weekend.

• Like 3