The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

B-17E/F release - A quick preview

James H

• Administrators

True....so gonna throw this out there..if anyone buys the new E/F and builds the E I'm willing to pay for the F nose plus clear parts for a reasonable price!!!

I have a spare 'E' nose, but of course that won't help you. The E and F have a common floor though, and a number of other common parts that don't come with the 'G', meaning you might have to do some scratch building if you only get the 'F' nose shell and glass. 

Early forts had opposite waist positions. But the gunners kept getting in each others way so later versions had staggered positions. The E had different control wheels than the f and g. Different engine cowls but to mention a few.

Cees

I have a spare 'E' nose, but of course that won't help you. The E and F have a common floor though, and a number of other common parts that don't come with the 'G', meaning you might have to do some scratch building if you only get the 'F' nose shell and glass.

How were the waist guns though? Were they staggered as on the 'G' release, or inline as on this kit?

There are different cockpit parts in this kit too, for the control columns and wheels. Were these pertinent to the early 'G'? A good number of internal parts differ for the waist guns too, and of course, the cowls are different I know the B-17 can be a complex beast with the block numbers etc. so I don't know if simply gluing on an 'F' nose will help you create an early 'G'.

The E model had more a traditional 'steering wheel' like control column - this was replaced with the smaller version in the F.

'Early G' models were actually late build Fs. The chin turret was added to the F airframe in very late in production blocks, mainly by Douglas if memory serves me correctly. These late chin turreted Fs didn't have any cheek guns and actually used the three side window nose arrangement as seen on the early build E Models. Some had field mods to add cheek guns again though, but these varied greatly between aircraft.

When the G proper came on line, again initial deliveries used the three small window arrangement, but modification centre and field mods soon started to appear to reinstall the cheek guns. These were then reintroduced to the production lines and continued until the end of production.

In short, to do a very early build G, (or in truth a very late F) you'd need to use the E nose, but graft on a chin turret and astrodome, and also use the G clear nose piece. Again this varies though, as the early chin turret models had a deeper nose cone, more similar in shape to the F model. It looks as if HK provide an F nose piece without gun apertures, so that'd be the one to use.

Use the shorter, more rounded cowlings, with paddle blade propellers. Stinger tail turret, and the top turret provided in the E/F kit.

If you wanted to do an early G proper, you'd need the upper turret from the G kit.

Early Gs had open sliding waist windows as seen on the E/F models. Then, the three piece waist windows were introduced, followed later the staggered, one piece windows as provided in the G kit. You'll have to make your own waist windows if you want to produce a mid-block G as none are provided in either the E/F or G kits.

To be honest it's a minefield. If you can find a specific picture if the aircraft you wish to replicate that's by far the best way to get an 'accurate' model. It may still require one scratch work though, as although HK have covered a lot of the production blocks with the G and now E/F releases there's still a huge amount of variations!

I have details of all serial numbers and production blocks, so if you have a particular airframe in mind and have its serial number I could tell you it's configuration with a good degree of confidence. Happy to help if you like.

Tom

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Here's an official reply from HK Models regarding the release date:

Currently we are waiting for the decal design and instruction from from AK. It should be within May. The final sample will be done within this week. Then I will send you the samples.

• Administrators

Neil just shared the very latest B17E/F test shots with me with permission to share.

Here you go!

1_zpsxceobh4x.jpg

2_zpsiixdvhnp.jpg

6_zpslnhllawh.jpg

4_zpsp2urrymx.jpg

3_zpsgsbcjxtv.jpg

5_zpsshjnrebe.jpg

7_zpsdaxysnjd.jpg

8_zpsluj41bkc.jpg

14_zpsjl0plnmo.jpg

13_zpsfqi5hixu.jpg

10_zps6z0tuf4t.jpg

12_zpsdcgfgphp.jpg

9_zpsjfhg9tyz.jpg

And demo the best shot of them all:

11_zpslz5lo1ix.jpg

Stay tuned for the extensive review of this test shot here on LSM.

Cheers,

Jeroen

• Like 4

• Administrators

Isn't that illegal in Portugal Fran? :D

Cees

Naaaaaa!!!!  :D :D 

I have a good backyard that I can use feed it! and charge tickets to show my cow!

:D 

Fran

Oh I so want one of these but after a lot of harding thinking I'm going to wait and get the Lancaster instead....need a Brit heavy in 32nd on my coffee table...not my first choice...that would be a Hallibag but some how I can't see HK doing one of these!!!!.....please....

• Like 1

Damn!!!! this Fort is gonna be oh so mighty fine but no!!! I will wait for the Lancaster because I think she will be the KIT to have and here's hoping that there will be a DAMBUSTER version as well...and Neil if you do read this a HALIFAX Mk lll B will be oh so appreciated!!!!

• 2 weeks later...