The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Man oh man.... I'm not one to moan but jesus does this Aires Undercarriage set suck... big time...

First: the instructions are almost deliberately faulty. Not only are the drawings drawn incorrect (upside down or totally different from the kit parts) but the numbers are incorrect on almost every part as well. Getting pretty angry but keep fiddling. I assembled the Revell parts to kind of guide me.

The detail is a step up from the Revell parts but having said that... that's it. If this was a normal product (like for instance an Ikea side table) I would have returned it.

I'll keep dry fitting, testing and adjusting till I get a good fit.

My recommendation? Steer the fuck clear from it.

861A5001-A1A6-4D90-9935-F6D56AEEB0C7_zps

• Like 5

When it's such a nightmare, perhaps use the Revell parts and copy the Aires details?

Looks like there's not much wrong with them, just less details...not even that much less.

Can use the Aires bottles and the rest can easily be done with a bit of evergreen it seems.

Looks great so far!

• Administrators

When it's such a nightmare, perhaps use the Revell parts and copy the Aires details?

Looks like there's not much wrong with them, just less details...not even that much less.

Can use the Aires bottles and the rest can easily be done with a bit of evergreen it seems.

Looks great so far!

I spent 22 euros on the set, so being dutch, I WILL use it ;)

Last night I fitted and sanded the right bay to properly fit. It turned out to be a little short, so I'm using some plastic card to enlarge it. The biggest mistake you can make is follow the instructions. As said: all the numbers are wrong. And just look at how the draw the Revell wings! The bays are not situated in the wing parts (as drawn) but in a huge center section. Why draw it like this??? Laziness? 

C8AC4FAD-30F8-43AD-AF5D-FEDE51363186_zps

Here's where I'm at. Some small gaps to take care off. The gear also has an intricate pulley system which is not included. So I'll scratch this.

7044C5CD-2CC7-46FD-9044-873DC234D4CB_zps

• Like 4

He shoots....he scores! Well done Jeroen.

Maybe, as a cost saver, they just used the instructions from another (48 scale) kit set? Anyway, instructions are just some other guys suggested build sequence. Your build is looking great!

Regards,

• Like 1