The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hansa-Brandenburg W.29, Search & Rescue, Denmark 1920

Mnemonic

Hello everyone!

So the first model I want to build under Diorama GB, will be Dannish Hansa-Brandenburg W.29 in Search & Rescue scheme, as it's seen on 1920 photos.

Original photos, found and shared by Ulrich Schnell can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/colesaircraft/galleries/72157624336495042/

2944320576_a8412dfe58_z.jpg

It seems that on some photos aircraft appear to be a bit different, with some variations.

So after my research on the photos I draw this profile, that I will use to paint my model:

26852453204_d79c7f4306_o.png

• Like 1

I stared with an engine, and decided that I will go with Benz engine, as on the photo above, with left-side exhaust.

I made a custom pipe from spare part of Fokker D.VII. Cut it into pieces, glued with some sprue-bits inbetween, then sanded it to be smooth...

27513463846_4497538356_c.jpg

27547876315_b651716055_c.jpg

27513461346_427fb5a1fd_c.jpg

27513462976_beab87fe08_c.jpg

So far, this is all I have, I started to paint some interior bits...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The propeller looks awesome!!!

Those color are quite unusual as you told me on fb... i would love to try some! are only for brush? 

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations, Maxim! BITAREMO!! (Sorry, my computer won't do Cyrillic....)

I am most amazed at you ability to keep the spacing accurate! I know it should be easy, using a ruler and tape the correct width, etc. etc., etc, but it never proves so for me.

This is coming together nicely!

BTW, what sort of paint are you using??

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

Thanks guys! :)

I am most amazed at you ability to keep the spacing accurate! I know it should be easy, using a ruler and tape the correct width, etc. etc., etc, but it never proves so for me.

First I drew this scheme in Xara Designer Pro, on top of the blueprint, trying to keep it true to photos (with correct amount of stripes, spacing, angles, etc.)

Then, I measured width of the end-result stripe (and spacing, they are equal here), and for 1:32 scale it was exactly 6mm.

I was happy to find that Tamiya has exactly 6mm width masking tape, so I bought it.

Then it was a matter of time to arrange masks on top of the model, to keep spacing equal I dropped one stripe of mask between of every "real" stripe, then removed it, and proceed to next, end so on...

BTW, what sort of paint are you using??

I paint everything using paint-brush, so I use mostly "artistic" acrylic paint. There is one brand that is easily accessible to me in a local shop, called "Deka Lack", this one I use the most, I add some other paints when needed. For example here, for the "white" color I used Vallejo. By the way looking at the photo I noticed that "white" stripes are substantially darker than "white" shirts of the kids around the plane, and you can imagine these are not very clean. So I found one color in "PANZER ACES" series from Vallejo, called "German Winter White", and I used this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Small update on Dannish W.29. Painted elevator, finished tail assembly with control wires, finished gun-port fairing, added custom made plexiglas windshield for back seat, added tachometer with a wire, put in place rest of "glass" parts. Also finished all the struts and working on floats now.

28243642383_3432145693_b.jpg

28782495051_eda8cc3a54_b.jpg

28782493061_06cc683931_b.jpg

28827233776_ca39b4d3cf_b.jpg

28782489731_a8e54eb9e8_b.jpg

Thank you, after checking photos I realized that prop on reference photos is bigger than any of W.29 options, and has different form.

So I choose a prop from WNW "German Accessories", which came with another kit, this prop seemed about right size and about right form.

I cut and sanded it a little bit, to make it more symmetrical, to better match photos.

Painted it myself, with acrylic paint using brush.