The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

K4 paints and weathering products

Iceman

Has anyone had any experience with the newer company K4 line of paints?  Interested in the sets they have available for WWII Japanese aircraft, but as they are water based acrylics I am some what skeptical of what to expect with them.  I am pretty well dedicated to and convinced on lacquer based and acrylic lacquers for airbrushing that I really hesitate anymore to try something else.  Do use water based acrylics for brush painting but just have never been successful with using them for airbrushing. 

Thanks,

Kirk

Kirk - I do use AK interactive weathering products and I highly recommend them - I've also ordered their WWI German and British Uniform colours that should arrive soon and I will give them an unbiased review having paid for them out of my own pocket. ;)

• Like 1

Good to know, thanks,  I do use some of AK Interactive weathering products and swear by the older MIG neutral and dark washes, love those for general weathering.  I just have not had good success with airbrushing water-based acrylics, I use three different Iwata airbrushes with .23 mm, - .5 mm. nozzles, varying air pressures and different thinning agents from window cleaners to pure water but just do not care for the finish I achieve.  Guess I am just old school, I can get Gunze and Tamiya lacquer acrylics to behave and finish just like two part automotive lacquers with either the Gunze 250 thinner with the retarder product mixed in or the 400 leveling thinner for really fine spraying, but just cannot get use to the pure water based acrylics. Looking forward to your reviews, will look for them.

Thanks,

Kirk

Yeah I have had very irregular results with Vallejo some great some really poor and I've basically started weeding them out of my collection - I do like brushing them though especially the ones I use for figures - however Tamiya have started to release a lot of flesh tones so I think I will have a play with them and see where they get me.

• Like 2