The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Special Hobby Tempest Mk.V

Really enjoying your build! 

I did the masters shapes for Roy and my good friend Kerry CAD'ed up a correct spinner for this new nose.  Although not entirely evident in the photos that Kerry took after he got the new nose from me to make the spinner are the many subtleties in the overall shape.  I used original factory lofts to correct it and surprisingly there were a lot of shape issues to deal with. But essentially the whole front has been modified from the top line through to a smaller spinner diameter, upper lip to intake transition, lower line in side profile. Also all the rad curves are different especially around the opening and the back end.

Once Roy has replaced all the surface detail and is happy with it then I am sure you will be pleased you waited.  I know I will be as I no longer have a nose in my kit LOL!

Anyway keep up the awesome work!  It is an impressive kit!

Cheers

Anthony

Really enjoying your build! 

I did the masters shapes for Roy and my good friend Kerry CAD'ed up a correct spinner for this new nose.  Although not entirely evident in the photos that Kerry took after he got the new nose from me to make the spinner are the many subtleties in the overall shape.  I used original factory lofts to correct it and surprisingly there were a lot of shape issues to deal with. But essentially the whole front has been modified from the top line through to a smaller spinner diameter, upper lip to intake transition, lower line in side profile. Also all the rad curves are different especially around the opening and the back end.

Once Roy has replaced all the surface detail and is happy with it then I am sure you will be pleased you waited.  I know I will be as I no longer have a nose in my kit LOL!

Anyway keep up the awesome work!  It is an impressive kit!

Cheers

Anthony

Cheers Anthony.

Kudos for your collaboration with Roy to fix the nose.  I'm really enjoying this kit and am very pleased with the engineering.  So far its been a joy to build.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2017 at 2:20 AM, Wingco57 said:

Pics or it didn't happen as they say in the digital world.B)

Call it Alternative Facts.  ;)

Will post pics soon.  Been hectic August here.  Vacation, honey-do-list, fall vegetable garden prep and kid activities have kept me away from the bench.  School starts next week and the home projects are almost complete. 

Meanwhile, I just ordered Roy's Tempest nose/prop replacement along with 5 slotted smooth wheel-set.  Stay tuned.

Don't know if you can get it in the States Rick but my favourite Speyside malt is Balvenie. Lovely and smooth.

Much to my wife's disgust I'm also quite partial to some of the heavy, iodine rich Islay malts like Laphroaig or Bunnahabhain. They are an acquired taste though! :wine:

On 9/1/2017 at 6:19 PM, GusMac said:

Don't know if you can get it in the States Rick but my favourite Speyside malt is Balvenie. Lovely and smooth.

Much to my wife's disgust I'm also quite partial to some of the heavy, iodine rich Islay malts like Laphroaig or Bunnahabhain. They are an acquired taste though! :wine:

Someone say Balvenie?

Balvinie_TempestWing.jpg

• Like 1

Wheel Wells done.  This was certifiably a test of patience.  Instructions not the clearest and lots of sanding.   Following advice from James Hatch I glued the wheel well inside panels to the inside top of wing in lieu of following instructions to glue to inside bottom of wing.  While glue is setting I secured the wing assembly with tape to assure a good fit allowing for sanding and adjustments.

Pro Tip:  Test fit, test fit, test fit.

Tempest_WheelWell.jpg

Plumbing to be added then some primer.

Nose correction set has arrived.  Color me excited!  Stay tuned!

Tempest_Nose.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GusMac said:

Nice whiskies Rick!

The wheelwell fit seems to be a recurring issue with the SH tempests.

yes, many stories of angst.  the landing gear is also an alignment nightmare as well. 

btw - those Balvenie's are the special occasion pours.  some of those bottles I've had on my shelf for almost 10 years.

several of us in the neighborhood are "collectors" in search of good inexpensive spirits.  many small local distilleries are emerging similar to the mico brew trend.  so the search is on going for that great find.  we also get together to compare our spirit stash with a few good maduros.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

5 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Any updates on this build Rick?

Cheers

M.

Hey Martin.

Will be on the bench in a few days. Goal is to finish by 20 April.  I am currently wrapping up my 1:72 190 and F16.  Will post WIP and final at later date.

3 hours ago, harv said:

Very nice build Rick. Have one in the stash......harv :unworthy:

Thanks Harv.  This is a build with plenty of angst.  Have a Mk.II, no hurry to start.

28 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Rick, mine is languishing on the to finish list, I found this one a fight from day one........and burnt me out for a while........but its next on the list to heave across the line........

This sucked the mojo out of me a few times.  I'm bringing her back to bench n a few days.  Prime and paint is all that's left to do.

• Like 2