The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Yet another Tamiya Corsair Birdcage 1/32

Hi,

I' am starting this topic because it was rightly asked by our admin to not only lurk but show some work, thanks Jeroen.

First things first, a little introduction,

i' am Free, born in 1974 and currently residing in the Brussels area of Belgium.

I always loved modelling altough I only build 1 plane every decade or so, to many other hobby's .

I have good memory's of a tamiya swordfish 1/48 and a 1/48 corsair, but i 'll need to dig those out of my parents attic to take some pictures.

Fast forward ten years and the urge was there again to put some plastic together,

I bought a britfish and a Fokker DVII from eduard and even a 1/32 WNW britfish.

I started with the Fokker, this did not end well, I never managed to attach the top wing and destroyed the struds while trying to do the latter.

He will be remebered like this:

IMG_0064.jpg

So on to the main subject,

Tamiya Corsair birdcage 1/32

Barracudacals cockpit decals

Barracudacast ignition upgrade

Barracudacast wheels

Grey Matter Engine compartment

The following work is not up to the forums standards but i' am a fast learner and can always use some tips, so don't hold back

I started with the engine, added oil lines and ignition cables

IMG_2763.jpg

A little bit further along

IMG_2791.jpg

resting under a beerglas? for dust protection an old trick from my grandfather (watchmaker)

IMG_2793.jpg

thats all for now, i lost two hours trying to post photo's from google, had to abandon.

More after dinner

grtz

free

• Like 6

• Administrators

Hi Free!

I would say my calling-out the Lurkers has been a succes!

What a great start of that Corsair engine...  You must have inherited some of your grandfather's skills...

Also glad to see another Belgian builders up here. The dutch were almost beginning to take up the majority and that's never a good thing ;)

Good to have you here!

Cheers,

Jeroen

• Like 3

• Administrators

Nice tip for stopping dust. I tend to use an upside-down takeaway carton for stuff, but it's not as compact as that.

Love the work on the engine. I'll be plagiarising this for mine when I'm brave enough to restart. Loving that work so far  :respect:

@ all

thank you for all the nice comments

@ Trigger

Great work, "not up to forum standards?" are you nuts

sometimes i get lucky,

but it wil show further along that i sometimes lack some very basic skills like glueing (still hit & miss) or even putting on a smooth layer of paint and don't get me started on the black art of weathering.

This is why I lurk here in the first place, very fine examples of how it should be done, and then dreaming of getting to that stage one day.

So on with the build

dryfit looks ok, no gaps if i lightly press it together

IMG_2858.jpg

Complete dryfit before surgery looks promising, have a gap on the belly, but thats because of overzealous sanding on my behalf :rolleyes: .

IMG_2898.jpg

Trying the engine compartment, the lighter is not there for scale purpuses, i just cant quit the filthy habit.

You may notice I used the PE harness from the kit, I should have gone to the Anne Franck museum instead (jim jeffreys reference).

Next time I'll be using fabric belts for shure. :angry:

IMG_2930.jpg

Dry fit after the surgery is still ok, wohoo (I was really worried about cutting up this beautifull kit)

IMG_8870.jpg

Now for some money shots of the dirty workhorse, I think this one is ready.

IMG_8861.jpg

IMG_8879.jpg

And a rather nice overexposed shot of whats inside the cowl

IMG_8873.jpg

Made some scratch cowling actuators, learned alot, next ones will be better. Still have the clear part cowling so meaby i'll have a doover.

IMG_8872.jpg

Got the side panels finished, added some wire, not much will be seen.

I srewed up a decal by putting it over a bump, should have mounted it on plasticard like i did with the other one.

IMG_8888.jpg

IMG_8893.jpg

I started making the cockpit before I had optivisers, it shows :(

I added the oil lines, and a breathing mask. I also tried to make the heatertube that goes under the seat but had to cut it short because of fit problems, live and learn. I also made a line from the emergency CO2 bottle to the landinggear but forgot to put it in when i buttonned up the fuse. It can't be seen so no harm done.

IMG_8907.jpg

IMG_8899.jpg

IMG_8898.jpg

IMG_8911.jpg

Made a start on the wheels

IMG_2941.jpg

Did the propellor

IMG_2942.jpg

I managed to kill my canopy, so i'am making a replacement, this is v1 and still to bulkey, gonne try with thinner plasticard and beercan aluminium.

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

That's all for now, i am further along but need to make some photo's.

grtz

free

• Like 7

Hey all,

Thanks for the likes and comments.

In fact the original canopy is still in 1 piece but crazed with glue and now after some unfortunate manipulation also a bit cracked.

I would never try to cut out the windows of such a fragile piece, but now you mention it, meaby.

Here you can see a bit of the process how i went about.

IMG_2989.jpg

First i traced the framing on to strips of tape.

I then tried to make a flat drawing true to dimensions, it fits but i think it's 1 or 2 % to big. should do it in illustrator but i was to lazy to fire up the computer B)

I then transferred the drawing to a big piece of tape and put that on some litho plate (aluminium of some sorts).

Scored it with a n11 blade and handpunched the rivets. Then i drilled out all the windows and carefully filed them down to the line.

I did the same to some plasticard and then sandwiched some clear film inbetween.

I still need to try and form a bulge in the clear film. Still thinking about how to.

Meaby i'll go a completly different way with V2, I have seen a crash moulding thing with the original canopy as master.

And this was all the fault of me wanting to scratch the canopy release system, but i don't mind it's been a fun journey for now.

I'll try and make some photo's tonight of the rest of my problems/progress.

Until then,

grtz

free

• Administrators

What you could do is this:

Make a mould from the old one. Fill the inside with clay or something else. Cast a mould. Let the mould harden and heat form a clear sheet over it.

That means heating up the clear sheet and pulling it hard over the mould.

It might work. Actually that's how scratch builders work. 

• Like 1

@ jeroen,

thanks for the tips, i'am gonne leave the canopy alone for the moment and focus on getting it all togheter.

I need to get a move on, i have a very disgruntled pilot looking over my shoulder

IMG_2993.jpg

I' am trying to finish all things undercarriage, so i can finaly glue the wing to the fuselage.

Some more cleanup and than a flatcote should do the trick.

IMG_2995.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

I also finished the propellor, i had to sand a lot to avoid a ridge around the decals.

I also sanded back the black on the backside to let the alclad aluminium shine trough

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

The engine compartment from grey matter came together nicely, i could not find any flaws.

This was my first time with resine and i' am sold :)

IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

Inbetween clearcoats drying, i finally managed to mix my two base colors, it's tamiya with levelling thinner from mr paint.

Sprays really nice,

IMG_3028.jpg

I am using black basing for the first time, i like it, it's less daunting than preshading for me (left not ready yet)

IMG_3032.jpg

got some debris in the undercoat, have to sand that :angry:

IMG_3027.jpg

Now for the main bits, stll needs some sanding and filling and than rescribing, that will be the first time i'll do that, a bit scared to screw it up :huh:

IMG_3036.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

That's all for now,

i am having my insignia's and walkway's cut in masking film and than i can get on with painting.

grtz

free

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Hey guy's,

have not done a lot of moddeling this past half year because i had to finish the restauration of 2 pinball machines, the owners where waiting for it.

IMG_0965.jpg    IMG_3201.jpg

But now those are done, so on with the plastic

Before i trew everything in storage i managed to glue the wings to the fuselage,

so first thing i did when i pulled it back out was to finish glueing the side boards, one fitted realy wel, the other i had to shim a lot

IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

I am planning on further detailing of the auxilliary bay, but first i want to paint this beast, so out comes the maskingtape

IMG_3501.jpg

prepped al the other assembley's and out came the primer

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

and the "plat de resistence"

IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3507.jpg

IMG_3508.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

tonight i will look at it more closely, but it seemed rather ok, still a few minor seams and blemisches to correct, but far less than i expected.

see you soon,

grtz

free

• Like 5

Guest DannyVM

Nice work on this Birdcage. I like your pilot figure also.

Great work

The dutch were almost beginning to take up the majority and that's never a good thing ;)

:omg: i know what you mean jeroen:grouphug::lol::lol:

Greetz

Danny

Thanks for all the nice comments, this is a nice boost for me to go on.

The primer revealed not to much trouble but still, i wil be sanding and polishing tonight so hopefully i can spray some color this WE

@DannyVM Thanx a lot, i really liked your corsair and your palmtrees are out of this world.

@Wingco57 Thanx, i am still thinking about  the canopy, but meaby i'll try and order the clearsprue again since i also trashed a navlightcover.

grt free

Can't see enough corsairs here and you did a great job on yours. what I specially like about your build is that you will open the hoods and do the interior jobs.
You nailed the wiring on the engine in a way i get a little jealous while seeing :).

In another thread I posted some pictures of a stripped Corsair in restauration. It might help for the detailing inside.

Cheers Rob

Brilliant progress so far. I am much impressed.

I remember when Loic was scratch building the masters for the Grey Matter Corsair accessory section. Your finished work should make him proud.

Looking forward to seeing another Corsair finished! Mee Likee.

Cheers,

david

Hi,

@DocRob thank you I will have a look when i am finished painting.

@David Hansen 'Your finished work should make him proud' , I hope so, but thats a lot of pressure for a first time ;)

anyhow, it's been a fruitfull weekend

Stipped back the primer with isopropanol and started filling in the last of the divots.

I had huge steps here, i wasn't carefull enough when glueing it together.

and still battling the joint where i sanded to much

IMG_3512.jpg

the top side is less dramatic but still needs a little work

IMG_3513.jpg

why Tamiya didn't provide plugs for these is beyond me

IMG_3514.jpgIMG_3515.jpg

ready for another layer of primer

IMG_3516.jpg

looks much better me thinks,

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

let's call it battle damage

IMG_3523.jpg

topside also ok, i think

IMG_3526.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

need to rescribe this line, it was filled when i glued it and than i made things worse :D

IMG_3524.jpg

next some colour....

grtz

free

• Like 1

So,

colour on all subassembly's, apart from the wings and fuselage. I really want to take my time and be shure everything is ok before i start painting.

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

I rather like my cowl

IMG_3529.jpg4

IMG_3530.jpgIMG_3533.jpg

And since i didn't want to put fingerprints all over the new paint but still had some time on my hands,

i started with an experiment in crashmolding. That turned out better than expected.

The new navlight, still some trimming to do

IMG_3541.jpg

How do i glue this to the wing? It is waferthin and i can only do a butjoint? if somebody has an idea, shoot...

IMG_3545.jpg

some try's to get the canopy bulge, i am pretty confidant if i made a home vacuumbox that i could pull the entire canopy, but i have other plans, stay tuned.

IMG_3538.jpg

Hope to be back soon, with an update on the fuselage

grtz

free

• Like 1

Hey,

instead of finishing the fuse i did some work on the canopy,

the mess after a few hours of scrathbuilding

IMG_3549.jpg

and the result

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

This is only the inside of the canopy, i wil add the glazing from outside and finish off with some fine strips of plasticcard.

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

But, since i changed my mind in the middle of construction, the canopy is a mirror image  :blink: and i think i can do it a bit neater, so this will only be a proof of concept.

grtz free

• Like 2

Hi there Free,

Hey, i don't mean to be a buzzkill, but it looks like you didn't quite remove all of the filler on the forward end of that seam you were re-working on the Belly. Looking at the oblique angle shots you took with black primer overlaid, it looked like the lying superglue (or whatever it was) that has the 2 parallel rows of rivets cutting across it has not been completely sanded down. You can actually see the edge of the filler in some places.

Yeah i know its on the Belly, and yeah, i know you have to look closely. However, if i can see it, others can too.

Having said that though, FWIW i thought the model looked pretty nice after you'd gone back and wet sanded it back down to bare plastic.

I'd just mask along the panel lines that run along the length of the fuselage, sand the affected area, and then re- spray the black.

david

I think just going at it with a sanding stick until you go down to bare plastic, with no traces of black primer will do the job.

As i like to say, you cannot inspect quality into an already-finished product.

-d-