The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Ta-152H-0 awaiting restoration at the NASM

• Administrators

With the help of Rick Kranias (who went to great length and the NASM museum) to find out what the top of the wings look like today and Levier (Brian Silcox) who shared valuable photo's with me. Rick pointed me to the Valiant Wings book on the Ta152. I went to the LHS where they happened to have it in stock, but sadly only pics of the undersides.

Anyhoo.... This is where I'm at. Interpreting old photo's and using common sense. Ah... and that one dusty photo from the concept notes book...

Not done yet, but it's getting there.

4383EB81-54CE-4884-B0BF-B8EEFA1BB021_zps

06EFEE7C-4F19-4F0B-AA3E-EABC1B583A6B_zps

• Like 5

• Administrators
On 14-3-2017 at 8:27 PM, shark64 said:

wow, thats is quite a model. I really like the approach . you always have been one of my favorite modeler.

Thanks! 

Almost done. Final bits and bobs. Drilled the holes in the canopy that were actually not holes but containers filled with silica squeezed between the double layered glass to prevent fogging. (You were right Cees :) )

I did not drill the holes all the way through, but halfway. This comes closest to looking like the real thing.

C8AFFDB6-CEB5-446F-A504-CF2737A65270_zps

Added latches to the nose cowling:

38CAE13B-19A7-4F4E-9F50-33CE4E150B54_zps

Adding loose brake lines to the gear: (made them from lead wired, wrapped with thin strips of masking tape)

0005C4C2-2D78-4C93-B2A8-D2CE7FFC3FCC_zps

• Like 5

• Administrators
1 minute ago, levier said:

It's crazed really badly.  Get some 600 grit on it.  I sat in it and closed it.

I know i should... just have a feeling many modellers won't understand and it will take away a sense of quality from the build... 

Doubting my next move. 

• Like 1

Everything looks exemplary as you nailed the "acquired, repaired, stored & somewhat forgotten" look.  The display configuration adds so much.

Watching the final rounds.  This will look interesting displayed next to your Ju88.

• Like 1

I know i should... just have a feeling many modellers won't understand and it will take away a sense of quality from the build... 

Doubting my next move. 

Hey Jeroen, why caring about the opinion of others, when you feel different about it?

Maybe the Lady from the Lake has some suggestions about aged canopies.

Cheers Rob

P1070409.thumb.JPG.62e316ccfc8b633667179ebdad755040.JPGP1070444.thumb.JPG.3d374a6072b181ab2e39fcfdc6932381.JPGP1070462.thumb.JPG.11722a05be56a53e56124dcd874e52d6.JPG

• Like 3

• Administrators
7 hours ago, DocRob said:

Hey Jeroen, why caring about the opinion of others, when you feel different about it?

Maybe the Lady from the Lake has some suggestions about aged canopies.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob,

I've done a couple of tests on left over transparent pieces. But just looking at the way it sits now keeps me from giving it a go...

Adding panels now. 

Note the latches on the right cowling panel in the 2nd photo. That was a b*tch!

0A45F18F-5EE1-44C3-AE5C-6E1BF1ECEB26_zps

2E595EAD-B8FB-4B54-88E4-0FF5F0F3282C_zps

Edited by JeroenPeters
  • Like 4

For the crazed canopy look...

Try applying translucent 3m sticky tape or the frosted clear adhesive Schoolbook cover material  (called Contact here in Au) to the inside of the canopy. This way it won't affect the finish permanently.

S

• Like 1

For the canopy if needed....

In this stage i should try to paint it Mikro klear matt or satin, even the matt is a polishable to give it a little sheen  if needed.

You even can use both..but do it with a brush and what you also can do is is ad a sip of white paint to it.

All the best with this great project, 

Jan

• Like 1