The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair 'Marines Dream' WIP.

Guest DannyVM

Guest DannyVM

Hi Guy's,

i know, i hear you guy's coming.....oohhh no again a Corsairplease.gif ............sorry for thatwicked.gif wicked.gif , but the Corsair was already given the research before start, so i couldn't resist anymore, i had to make a start on this oneinnocent.gif .

I will build this one together with my P-51D Mustang, which is at the moment on a hold due to canopy problems.

I have both Tamiya Corsair kit's, but first one to have the honor is the Birdcage one.

DSCN3009_zpsscsyx4xw.jpg

For this one i got plenty of aftermarket and some reference book's, also some paint is ordered, so research is done, and assembly can start.

First the aftermarket, starting with the Barracuda goodies.

DSCN3010_zpswj2yuuj2.jpg

Eduard goodies

DSCN3011_zpszfbxpj96.jpg

And HGW seatbelts

DSCN3012_zpsg3paknjh.jpg

The reference books,

DSCN3013_zpsdudmrthd.jpg

DSCN3014_zpsd12hlich.jpg

DSCN3015_zps7tzsnas4.jpg

DSCN3016_zpsk1t46u1z.jpg

DSCN3017_zps9bgp8ey8.jpg

Color scheme choice will be F4U-1 Corsair Bu. n° 02576 'Marines Dream'

I hope you guy's will enjoy 

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Hi Guy's,

Ok today i made a start on the Corsair's cockpit, not much but like i said, it's a start.whistle.gif

I started with the kit part's, later on i will ad scratch details like wires and tubes.

First, i started on the details of the side consoles

DSCN3030_zpsfy0glcrx.jpg

Rudder pedals

DSCN3031_zpsjichspmi.jpg

And bulkhead, here there will be some extra need of details.

DSCN3032_zpsncgfr0ys.jpg

A dry-fit of all three pieces together.

DSCN3022_zpswwzww0dz.jpg

DSCN3024_zpswslspwyk.jpg

DSCN3029_zpsviltvuhf.jpg

Tomorrow i'm gonna try to paint the first pieces of the cockpit.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Today my intention was to put the first paint onto the cockpit part's...........well that didn't worked out like i wanteddoh.gif

First there's was some need of extra detailing regarding tubing and wiring so, i made a start on that.

It's not like the real stuff, i did some research but it's not completely accurate.

First thing to do was drill out the weight holes in the frame of the rudder pedal foot rest's.

DSCN3033_zpsqdjkiflz.jpg

Further you will see the result of this. Next thing to do was adding some wires and tubing onto the bulkhead. For this i used some lead and copper wire.

DSCN3036_zpsjqiz51c5.jpg

DSCN3038_zpst0x2kk44.jpg

Some dry-fit to see if nothing is in the way.

DSCN3039_zpsjwhnwgob.jpg

DSCN3041_zps7eg2lbtd.jpg

DSCN3042_zpsjwlq40ys.jpg

And also a dry-fit of the hollowed frames of the rudder pedals

DSCN3045_zpsybcrfmtm.jpg

DSCN3046_zpsegfcrqpm.jpg

DSCN3048_zpsowumo1jg.jpg

DSCN3050_zpssazcyonl.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Looking forward to this Danny. You have a great selection of references to help you there.

Just tried a beer from down the road from you tonight. Pawel Kwak from the brewery in Buggenhout - lovely but you couldn't have too many at 8.4%!

Guest DannyVM

Nice detailing!

Thank's Jeroen. :thumbsup2:

Looking forward to this Danny. You have a great selection of references to help you there.

Just tried a beer from down the road from you tonight. Pawel Kwak from the brewery in Buggenhout - lovely but you couldn't have too many at 8.4%! 

Thank's GusMac, :thumbsup2:

Ah nice one mate, brewery Bosteels is about 4 kilometers from my home. And another brewery Malheur is about 600 meters from my house. And the Duvel brewery (Moortgat) is within the 10 kilometer range. I'm living surrounded by brewery's :)

Greetz

Danny

Too much temptation there. We have a nice little micro brewery in our village and a few others are springing up nearby so it's a good time to be a beer lover. The traditional 'big' beers here in Scotland are horrible fizzy, synthetic rubbish, so having some nice craft beers is great.

Guest DannyVM

I just went to the store with my wife, and whe bought oureself the Malheur Champagne beer brut. This is just the nectar under the beers.

Greetz

Danny

Just looked that one up online and it looks interesting. I know a local hotelier who imports a lot of your Belgian beers, so I must ask him if he knows that one.

I always find the strengths of your beers amazing. We have enough alcohol related troubles in Scotland with 3 to 4% strengths nevermind 2 or 3 times that! However the problem is that many people here's idea of a good night is maximum consumption in the minimum of time unfortunately.

Guest DannyVM

Well, my planning regarding painting thing's this weekend didn't really makes sense. There's a lot of stuff that needed to be assembled, so i've bin a little busy this weekend with glue.

Most of the cockpit part's are glued, but not assembled, just a little dry-fit to see if thing's are correct.

DSCN3056_zps7z6cd7ki.jpg

DSCN3058_zpsk1coxq9r.jpg

Also the aft section of the tail wheel bay is glued, also here a little dry-fit.

DSCN3059_zpslbiuxigb.jpg

Tail wheel  construction

DSCN3065_zpsvcsucrt5.jpg

DSCN3067_zpsl6srwl54.jpg

Cockpit side-walls on the fuselage had nasty sink marks, so they needed to be removed.Also glued the details onto the side-walls.

DSCN3061_zpsxwltz4rj.jpg

DSCN3062_zpsy7hltrj1.jpg

Pilot seat.

DSCN3063_zps7kodybqs.jpg

And a group photo

DSCN3064_zpslc6jzi0t.jpg

Today i've bin busy with the bottom center wing section.This is a little kit on it's own.speak_cool.gif

First thing to do, again, remove these ugly sink marks.

DSCN3075_zpsqqewnrdb.jpg

The oil cooler sections are glued together, a nasty seam line was threaten with putty.

DSCN3076_zps87sofyom.jpg

Both oil cooler segments are glued onto the bottom center wing section, the wing spar is seen here dry-fitted.

DSCN3080_zpsvdanxvt7.jpg

DSCN3081_zpsjl4p7hyn.jpg

Wingspar glued onto the bottom wing center section.

DSCN3083_zpsqawrla4n.jpg

Wheelbay closed

DSCN3082_zpsw3yafuhb.jpg

DSCN3084_zpsoxc4utio.jpg

DSCN3085_zpsxxvezftn.jpg

And the bottom view, with some photo etch added to the wheelbay side-walls.

DSCN3086_zpsnsar3x4f.jpg

DSCN3087_zpsxv35dwsm.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Thanks Bevan :)

The beast received finally some paintfrantic.gif

After giving all part's a black primer coat with Mr. Surfacer 1500, i started with the Salmon Pink Primer from Mr. Paint. First time i used Mr. Paint, so expectations where very high.

DSCN3090_zps8yjqo9ig.jpg

For this, i used my old trusty 40€ Chinese airbrush with a 0.3 m/m needle.

DSCN3091_zpsbm9ifmo2.jpg

Wing section.

DSCN3093_zpsruo7uzac.jpg

I only painted the spots which i thought to be visible.

Wheelbay's sections. 

DSCN3095_zpshw5so183.jpg

Very smooth Finnish

DSCN3096_zpsryhgxxpy.jpg

DSCN3097_zpswnvgloiw.jpg

DSCN3099_zpskc3w0cx5.jpg

DSCN3100_zpsxdoeu6nq.jpg

Tail wheel section inner part, and a group photo of all happy painted part's.smile.png

DSCN3101_zpsotjzzgmn.jpg

DSCN3109_zps1g7kxthh.jpg

Next step, the cockpit. To get the color i needed i mixed three different colors.

X-5 : 2

XF-8 : 1

XF-4 : 0.5

DSCN3108_zpszfsd3u7c.jpg

DSCN3110_zpssmv0mbrv.jpg

The pilot seat and the ruder pedals footrest's where first painted with Alclad II aluminium and afterwards treated with AK Heavy Chiping fluid. 

DSCN3111_zpsis4wf7va.jpg

You all now the how to work with this i aspect, so here is the result.

DSCN3113_zpssao3mfd5.jpg

DSCN3116_zpsiwiantgs.jpg

DSCN3117_zpspr9imlmc.jpg

DSCN3118_zpsqfrv3zf4.jpg

DSCN3119_zpse8u0ykok.jpg

DSCN3120_zpswhvvfiwq.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Looks good Danny. How were the Mr Paint to work with? The finish certainly looks very good.

Thank's GusMac,

Very nice to work with, smooth result on the surface, not so smelly like i tought it would be, and it covers up greatly.

Nice work Danny, I'm watching with interest. I have a cage in my stash, it might be the next candidate on my bench, can't decide between the cage and ZM owl, but keep up the good work. Oz

Thank's Mark, glad to meet you overhere.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Thanks Danny, that's good to know. As a matter of interest, did you order them direct from them?

My first paint's i ordered from Ushi, normally it takes between ten day's to arrive, but something went wrong with the postal service in Germany. From the moment i contacted Alex about the fact that after ten day's my package still didn't arrive he immediately send me another package which arrived within 6 day's.

Second time i ordered Mr. Paint was directly from them, it's a bit cheaper and they are fast.......and i mean very fast. I ordered on a Sunday, and the next Wednesday it was delivered.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Today i had the opportunity to do a lot of work on the cockpit, so time to give you guy's some photo's.

Yesterday i've been busy with the Barracuda stencil data for the cockpit, and i must say, this is a real step forward once they are placed. Today i painted the details of the two side consoles, i glued the dials on the IP and i gave the whole cockpit a wheatered look. Also i've been busy for 3 houres on the HGW seatbelt's and put them in place. let's start with them.

HGW seatbelt's are just awesomethumbsup.gif  it's lot's of work, but the result, once they are placed is just superb.

DSCN3142_zpswynjsz00.jpg

DSCN3144_zpsp7ojfmmk.jpg

DSCN3145_zpsiljcsqsc.jpg

After this was done, i proceeded with the cockpit. 

F4U-1 Corsair Bu.No 02576 "Marines Dream" was a very heavily wheatered aircraft. So i wanted to get this effect also in the cockpit. For this one i didn't wanted to use a dark wash, because of the darker cockpit color. Instead i wanted a cockpit which was affected by the coral dust because of the operations from the Salomon Islands landing strips.

For this i used a MIG Sin industries sand color filter.

This is the result, i hope you guy's like it.

DSCN3128_zpsl8urb8gr.jpg

DSCN3129_zpsbfcdve9k.jpg

DSCN3131_zpsflaonpwy.jpg

DSCN3136_zps1sr590pc.jpg

DSCN3139_zpsdtljofx7.jpg

Also the pilot seat and the pilot seat frame got this treatment.

DSCN3149_zpsv8n3y3w2.jpg

DSCN3150_zpsuovk7pjk.jpg

The flash of the camera accentuates the dust, but in real time this is much more subtle.

For now, pilot seat frame and the rest of the cockpit are glued together.

There are a few more details i'm planning to do, some wiring and tubing still need's to be done, but for now, here's the cockpit mostly OOB.

DSCN3153_zpskmnebpsa.jpg

DSCN3154_zpsku4qvobj.jpg

DSCN3155_zpsqfiuyuio.jpg

DSCN3156_zpskzwzktas.jpg

Here are the Barracuda stencils very visible, a really nice add-on to the whole cockpit.

DSCN3157_zpsndsssfcy.jpg

DSCN3158_zpsbhgbz8mn.jpg

And a dry-fit onto the wing section.

DSCN3161_zpsdz7z7ych.jpg

DSCN3162_zpsnjbrnnhi.jpg

DSCN3163_zps3n3hyc9m.jpg

That's all for now, will be back soon.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Today i glued the two fuselage half's together. It's a shame because all of that nice cockpit detail is totally buried deep into the fuselage for now.wicked.gif

Yesterday i made some home made oxygen hoses, to give the cockpit some extra detail, and also i added some steering cables on the side bottom of the cockpit. Sad nothing will be seen once the fuselage is closed, but hey, it has to fly isn't ittongue.png tongue.png

Oxygen hoses, made from copper wire and lead wire.

DSCN3173_zpsw5mczabb.jpg

Some side wall wiring.

DSCN3175_zpsq9qwkiby.jpg

The home made hose, running true the rudder pedal footrest holes, and the steering cables which i made from Ushi rigging.

DSCN3178_zpsajdoteen.jpg

DSCN3179_zpsg7klqzqn.jpg

The controle rods made from lead wire running towards the throttle quadrant.

DSCN3181_zpsjasy1gki.jpg

Dry-fit onto the left fuselage half.

DSCN3183_zpsetugzhcf.jpg

The right one.

DSCN3187_zps36h3aeym.jpg

DSCN3188_zpsf2g6ycmd.jpg

I used some light brown wash to give the Pink Salmon primer a darker color, after this was done, i used the sand filter on it.

DSCN3192_zpszr9px8og.jpg

And finally, closure of the fuselage.

DSCN3194_zpsgb97sozm.jpg

Greetz

Danny