The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair 'Marines Dream' WIP.

Guest DannyVM

Guest DannyVM

Hello Guy's,

time to give you a massive update, and it's all about the engine. I was already impressed by the quality of this kit, so once i started the work on the mighty Pratt & Whitney engine my expectations where very high. It's almost a shame to put this piece of art into the cowling of the Corsair, because the engine itself is a superb kit on it's own.happy.png

First basic start of the whole engine was glueing the cilinder part's together. 

DSCN3203_zpsyowolj7t.jpg

For the ignition system i used the nice Barracuda engine upgrade set.

DSCN3202_zpsv2zddnax.jpg

DSCN3201_zpstzjgk5l3.jpg

I choosed to open the cooling gills, so to add some detail i used the Eduard pe upgrade set.

DSCN3204_zpsbdvt2zut.jpg

DSCN3207_zpsp2c1ajnx.jpg

DSCN3210_zpswi0z1syz.jpg

046ed603-ae82-4b24-a2ff-7f00f5fae4c0_zps

For the transfer pipes i also used Eduard pe.

DSCN3212_zpsjlmcpxnc.jpg

Some pieces glued together. It start to look like an engine.speak_cool.gif

DSCN3213_zpssmrxcoby.jpg

DSCN3214_zpsilfham7q.jpg

Exhaust pipes dry-fit to the fire-wall.

DSCN3215_zps5epwesje.jpg

The kit's engine is lacking the ignition cables, so it was necessary to make them myself. Eduard provide these in the pe set, but i chosed to make them from lead wire.

DSCN3217_zpsxpyrqepw.jpg

DSCN3218_zpss7jwlqba.jpg

DSCN3221_zpstd262aiw.jpg

DSCN3223_zpswslhms15.jpg

After all was done, i gave the whole engine a dark wash.

Front piece of the cowling, glued to the engine, together with the cooling gills.

DSCN3224_zpskneapkcp.jpg

DSCN3225_zpsf7uuhgi0.jpg

DSCN3226_zpsppuxa5kv.jpg

DSCN3227_zpsou2zzsv1.jpg

DSCN3228_zps5jwqa9go.jpg

The inside of the cowling and cooling gills still needs to get a wash.

DSCN3229_zpsrwjia6ho.jpg

DSCN3230_zpsghfl5osk.jpg

DSCN3231_zpssmtmns1d.jpg

Dry-fit onto the fuselage.

DSCN3232_zpsppf0n9eu.jpg

DSCN3233_zpst2jiucxr.jpg

DSCN3234_zpshsr3d9ai.jpg

DSCN3235_zpsefexckxg.jpg

DSCN3236_zpsbxu5v8ub.jpg

DSCN3237_zpsow2izafq.jpg

DSCN3238_zpstonqqzs2.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Nice work Danny, how long did it take you to make all those brass pieces for engine cowl, looks time consuming to me. I'm sure it will really pay off in the long run as most work does. I for one can't wait to see the final outcome of this beast. I've decided to build my ZM owl as some aftermarket goodies have become available for purchase here in Australia. just waiting for the cockpit detail fret to arrive. Keep up the good work Dan, cheers Oz

• Like 2

Guest DannyVM

Nice work Danny, how long did it take you to make all those brass pieces for engine cowl, looks time consuming to me. I'm sure it will really pay off in the long run as most work does. I for one can't wait to see the final outcome of this beast. I've decided to build my ZM owl as some aftermarket goodies have become available for purchase here in Australia. just waiting for the cockpit detail fret to arrive. Keep up the good work Dan, cheers Oz 

Thank's Mark,  :thumbsup2:  :thumbsup2:

Regarding the brass pieces, it took about one hour to make those pieces. They exists of 3 separate pe pieces that need's to glued together. The whole detailing of the  cooling gills took about in time, 3 houres.

Succes with the owl

Greetz

Danny

• Administrators

DSCN3221_zpstd262aiw.jpg

DSCN3223_zpswslhms15.jpg

After all was done, i gave the whole engine a dark wash.

Front piece of the cowling, glued to the engine, together with the cooling gills.

DSCN3224_zpskneapkcp.jpg

DSCN3225_zpsf7uuhgi0.jpg

DSCN3226_zpsppuxa5kv.jpg

DSCN3227_zpsou2zzsv1.jpg

DSCN3228_zps5jwqa9go.jpg

The inside of the cowling and cooling gills still needs to get a wash.

DSCN3229_zpsrwjia6ho.jpg

DSCN3230_zpsghfl5osk.jpg

DSCN3231_zpssmtmns1d.jpg

That is ONE sweet engine! Very convincing...

• Like 2

Hello Danny,

nice progress in this build. Your work with the Cockpit and Engine look pretty well. Its a shame that almost everything of the detail is hidden.

One remark about the inside color of the engine area, I believe that area should be painted interior green. The pinkish-salmon color which you really hit on the mark should be applied only in the area of the rear wheel and the inner wing structures.

I build the Tamiya Corsair a while ago and really liked the kit. I decided to add a lot of AM like the Brassin Engine and Cockpit.

The Resin-Cockpit is a piece of art and the engine as well but the latter turned into a little nightmare for me. After finishing and painting the engine i tried to fit it i the fuselage in a way that it would be possible to remove the engine cowlings and show the engine details. Even after thinning the original plastic cowlings it was impossible to get the result.

I decided to give the Eduard PE cowlings a try and was bending and soldering with the result, that fit was good but there was no way to snap fit the cowling parts for easy removal. In the end I glued everything in place and was in a bad mood for days.

Greetings Rob  

Guest DannyVM

Hi Rob,

first, i'm sorry that thing's didn't turned out the way they supposed to be, still, i hope you got an satisfied result.

Second, about the inner cowling color, yes i know :(  i made a mistake about the chose of color. Un-reversibele but not much will be seen at the end.

It's a lesson learned isn't it ;)

Thank's for your nice comment, and feedback mate. :)

Greetz

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Danny, Fantastic project and great tutorial Sir! I wouldn't loose too much sleep over the application or lack thereof of the anti corrosion

inhibitor (pink stuff) applied to the airframe interior of this aircraft...who is to say it wasn't applied prior to the application of an exterior paint layer in

much the same way as many more modern fighter aircraft...down here in Pacific regions Diurnal variations are significant, which together with engine oil, lubricants and coral dust would have reacted with top coats of paint to reveal

primer/inhibitor coats (that would be my argument anyway!) Cheers, Dennis

Thank's Mark,  :thumbsup2:  :thumbsup2:

Regarding the brass pieces, it took about one hour to make those pieces. They exists of 3 separate pe pieces that need's to glued together. The whole detailing of the  cooling gills took about in time, 3 houres.

Succes with the owl

Greetz

Danny

Thank's for the nice comment's. :)

Greetz

Danny

I think I might have a spare cowl I could post to you if you would like, in Australia we get clear spares of the cowl to show the 'donk' if u like that sorta thing ( I don't ). Would be happy to give it to you if you want.... Oz
  • Like 1

Guest DannyVM

Hello Danny, Fantastic project and great tutorial Sir! I wouldn't loose too much sleep over the application or lack thereof of the anti corrosion

inhibitor (pink stuff) applied to the airframe interior of this aircraft...who is to say it wasn't applied prior to the application of an exterior paint layer in

much the same way as many more modern fighter aircraft...down here in Pacific regions Diurnal variations are significant, which together with engine oil, lubricants and coral dust would have reacted with top coats of paint to reveal

primer/inhibitor coats (that would be my argument anyway!) Cheers, Dennis 

Hi Dennis, thank's mate for the nice comment. :thumbsup2:  :thumbsup2:

I think I might have a spare cowl I could post to you if you would like, in Australia we get clear spares of the cowl to show the 'donk' if u like that sorta thing ( I don't ). Would be happy to give it to you if you want.... Oz 

First, Oz, thank's allot for the offering that's very kind of you. :thumbsup2:

I got this clear cowl to, and i also am no fan of that sort of thing. But again, thank's allot for the offering.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Hi Danny, how's progress with this one?

I finally tracked down some of your Malheur champagne beer, wow it's lovely. I'm keeping the rest for when I'm off at Christmas so I can really enjoy them! 

Well, at the moment it's on a hold, due to the moving of my mother to her new apartment recently.

At the moment i'm busy with the re-organisation of my modeling room, so the Corsair need's some time in it's box before it can come out. :D

Great to know that you where able to find this delicious beer, and indeed this is a lovely gods drink isn't it ^_^

Same here, i have a few bottles i will crack open on Christmas eve, some of my familie are dying to taste this, so that will be a nice surprise.

Greetz

Danny

Danny I love those cooling gills, you seem to be able to get those pe parts on very cleanly. I can never do that without glueing my fingers together. How do you apply the superglue?

(by the way, it was nice meeting your on sunday)

Cheers

Cees

Guest DannyVM

Danny I love those cooling gills, you seem to be able to get those pe parts on very cleanly. I can never do that without glueing my fingers together. How do you apply the superglue?

(by the way, it was nice meeting your on sunday)

Cheers

Cees 

Thank's Cees, and yes, the result look's good, but it's not without a punch :hsmack: Those little part's are so tiny, that sometimes they go their own way :D

For glueing pe part's i mostly use a toothpick.

Same for me also Cees, it was very nice to meet you. You and Jeroen did a very nice job with the HK stand.

Greetz

Danny

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

Hi Guy's,

it's bin a while since my last post about my Birdcage Corsair, so time to give you guy's some progress pic's.

I wanted to get everything ready for painting, so i needed some work to do regarding glueing some part's.

First the massive propeller.

TYxoJFOl.jpg

Stupid me, i forgot to place the poly-cap into the propeller hub doh.gif No harm done, some extra drilling and the job was easily done.

Dry-fit onto the engine.

62Bwxajl.jpg

3Glu9J9l.jpg

Next step, the landing gear and the Eduard Brassin wheels.

WOWcFmPl.jpg

XkolhEOl.jpg

EliCayIl.jpg

ywhA6ZCl.jpg

Then, the painting, first the priming of the whole model. For this i used Alclad glossy black.

0iVGkMrl.jpg

LoGPJj1l.jpg

Next, taking care of the fuselage underside and some other part's. For this i used the Mr. Paint color range. Now in between, this is just excellent paint, really top stuff.

NUb7U1pl.jpg

eEbXwQDl.jpg

Q5S4weWl.jpg

Then the upper sides of the fuselage and the wings.

UaFLqGhl.jpg

For the camo pattern is airbrushed everything free-hand. So i didn't use masking tape. "Marines Dream" was a heavily patched up plane, so the blue paint on the lighter sides of the fuselage isn't over spray but a rendition of how this plane could looked like. For this result i used the color profiles provided in the Barracuda decal set.

EuMT4GPl.jpg

tQatnndl.jpg

EWZcvGXl.jpg

wyxdVsSl.jpg

lDp99fql.jpg

Some pic's with the mighty P.W. engine dry-fitted onto the fuselage.

ikcK5oCl.jpg

yhC6qtWl.jpg

HYTEeYil.jpg

Some pic's with the front cowl ring dry-fitted.

oTDYQBdl.jpg

hMl54Pjl.jpg

vwPeHiOl.jpg

Some pic's of the engine, completely covered with the engine cowl.

5zfrk5wl.jpg

0uTtUOcl.jpg

pakKUr2l.jpg

JdVazZTl.jpg

And finally, something i always am afraid of, the painting of the canopy.hmmm.gif

This time, everything all went very well, so this is the result.

0fM3rSyl.jpg

EhDxgpMl.jpg

npv8VsWl.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of the inside of the canopy, which was also painted. To mask the outside, i used the provided Tamiya masks, which are excellent. For the inside i used the new Tamiya masking tape for curves (the white one), and i can tell you guy's this is excellent stuff.

Here are two photo's of the canopy and windscreen dry-fitted onto the fuselage.

LJAB8NWl.jpg

pXTfAhul.jpg

That's all for now, thank's guy's for watching.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Nice paint so far Danny, canopy frame looks neat. How long did it take mask up the canopy frame interior? Your work has paid off nicely! 

Thank's Mark,

about 2 houres Mark. It's a cheap methode, but i rather will go next time with the Montex masks.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Very nice indeed, can't wait for next update 

Thank's mate, i hope i can put him today in the gloss coat, so he's ready for decaling this weekend.

Looking great Danny. Think I must investigate those Mr Paints. They seem to get great reviews from everyone who has used them. 

Thank's mate,

indeed, please do, this paint is really really good, i'm planning to order some more colors.

Greetz 

Danny

Guest DannyVM

A little update,

today i finished the panel line wash. Next to do is painting some details, and the flat clear coat.

For now, this is how it all look's when dry-fitted.

WBWmzzpl.jpg

sl74yPql.jpg

JlBjiNJl.jpg

2geIy4vl.jpg

NYSN5vql.jpg

nDdpqzRl.jpg

LrO4Dkml.jpg

2nVKMPEl.jpg

oJpFScgl.jpg

DCnnknOl.jpg

qM7Upnul.jpg

p3GnSFil.jpg