The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hello to all, my name is Mark Ostler, but everyone knows me as Oz. I'm currently building ZM's He 219 AO-1 Owl, and it is quite a big kite. Basically I'm half way through the build. I'd like to show everyone how the rest of the construction as most of the stages are basically being dry fitted to check how it all lines up. I've cemented the fuselage halves and the wings, built the motors and the cockpit, wheels & undercarriages. This kit is a tricky beast to handle with a few minor fit issues, but all is good so far. I've bought a couple of AM bits and pieces, ie; ZM's cockpit update & access panels, barracuda wheels ( no front tyre is included) which is a pity as the threaded tyres look the 'bomb'! That's Aussie slang for cool. I bought the ZM untreaded tyre kit as well, but the barracuda kit got the green light for this project. I've made a couple of the PE access panels and I must say that I'm slowly improving on making these gadgets! I've been pop riveting this kit as my first attempt. So inaccuracies are abound to be plentiful as I've not got a great deal of reference material on hand. So when I manage to get some decent photo's, I'll expose the behemoth to all, cheers Oz.

• Like 6

Don't bother buying the AM panel set, most of the large hatches have major fitting issues, all the top wing panels will be spares in a diorama, but the lower gun panels are superb. Another silly mistake I made was buying the barracuda open cowl set, they only fit the revell kit, I have didn't take too much notice until I got them in mail, more spares

Hi Doc, don't bother buying the AM panel set, most of the large hatches have major fitting issues, all the top wing panels will be spares in a diorama, but the lower gun panels are superb. Another silly mistake I made was buying the barracuda open cowl set, they only fit the revell kit, I have didn't take too much notice until I got them in mail, more spares

Hi Ozzy,

thanx for the suggestions. I already bought a lot of AM-Sets for the "Uhu" so I have to wait and see. It's bad news that there are fitting problems with the Panels.

I own the Panels, Frame, Interieur, Guns, Antenna and Wheels Set. I got the stuff for a good price, so no complaints here.

Hey doc, I think the gun replacements might be a good investment as this where I struggled to get everything to seat properly. My top notch paint job on the weapons got finger handled a little too much and lost its charm, so I decided to close most of it. The gun bodies are fairly average, be careful how your align the gun body to the vertical feed chute, lots of dry fit tests before committing to cementing

Hi Ozzy,

I'm sorry to hear that your gunnery got Id's you didn't want on them. Never leave prints on a gun :) .

My build is declared a future build so I'm not decided yet as how the Uhu will show in the end. On me it is always a little fight between showing the shape of the flying plane pure an simple and the vanity to show every detail under the skirt super detailed to the last bolt.

I will follow your build and might "rob" some inspiration.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 1

Hi doc, I've had an accident with the owl as I broke the port wing at the wing root. After many heart palpitations I've got it sorted. I've looked at the net and the AM wing spar detail set might help strengthen the spar which is fairly flimsy. The cannon apertures are the weak spot, I'm sure these steel enhancements will improve its rigidity. I'd recommend if you 'rivet' your owl, do most of it before the build, it's pretty tricky getting around the engine cowls when built. The clear lens for for the wing light was a fight in its self, poor fitment. Shave the back of the resin lights, remove the locator pip as the above sat too far foward to seat the lens cover and a bad fit was this gadget. I hate to whinge, but these things should be a thing of the past. You will need lotsa clamps, tapes and assorted glues to get the best out of this bird. I've got a Ta 152 -HO in the stach and the 'mold' seems to be a real improvement over the owl. Things can get better I believe. I've spent a lot of time just sanding / mr surfacer 500, re scribing panels not to mention the rivets, it's a lot of time on the bench. As for fitting bits & pieces, ZM are not in the big 'T's league at the moment but I hope they improve with every new release. Back to kit its almost time to prime, will post some pics tonight after a few tweaks and detailing still continues until I'm happy with the result. I like this kit, it just could be better, I think I need a decent jig that swivels, would be very handy due to this kites size. Cheers. Oz. oh I like to tip about the fingerprints, rofl!

• Like 2

Hi fab, yep ZM offer a few AM sets for all of their kits, the cockpit detail upgrade is absolutely a must have as the 'den' is highly visible on the owl. If you have a punch & dye set you could achieve a good result placing all the gauges on the instrument panel. I don't possess one, so I chose the AM set ( ZM have got Eduard to make it) and it is really good. Recommended by me for sure!