The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Bf 110D-3, 6./ZG 76, "M8+AP" (1/32 Dragon)

• Members

Got the wheel bays finished, did I mention that this kit has a lot of parts?  Brake lines were added after this photo, I've actually got these installed in the wings and the wings put together, we'll see if I have time to post later.

004-1_zpse08028b0.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The lower wing to fuselage joint was not good, gap filling super glue and Tamiya LCP used to close up the gap.

003-1_zpsd9ecc610.jpg

And just about ready for paint, still trying to decide whether I should put on the ETC 500 rack and display it "bombed up" I'm leaning towards no on this though.

006-1_zpsb8076ade.jpg

• Like 2

• Members

Here is the current state of things.  After laying down the RLM 76 several areas did not look great.  You'll recall that my wing to fuselage fit was horrible and I lost a lot of detail sanding and filling.  I tried to restore some of it using some lead foil, looks OK but not perfect.  Next one of these I build I'm going to go with an alternate way to get the wings on.  Should be able to the 74/75 on today.

002-1_zps711ddefb.jpg

• Like 1

To be fair, I can't see anything wrong with it - you, on the other hand, might be looking at it with "builders' eye". You know it's there but unless it was pointed out to someone would they have noticed? I doubt it.   Good catch !

• Members

Getting closer.....done with the paint, the wash and the decals.  The Flory wash that I normally use did not work out well on the upper surfaces so I went back to Windsor & Newton oils thinned with mineral spirits.  I think I may return to this method, applying to recessed lines with a fine tipped brush rather than a sludge wash.  The markings are all painted with the exception of the info stencils.  My intention was to use the Hobbydecal dry transfer stencils for the whole project.  I applied a couple before the gloss coat and they went down OK.  I was afraid of damaging the paint (Mr. Color goes down very thin) so I applied the gloss coat and they did not want to stick at all on top of that.  I wound up transferring some to clear decal film and combined with some from the spares box I managed to cobble together what I needed.

Still lots of little fiddly bits to go but the end is in sight!

001_zps23be4134.jpg

003-1_zpsa11aa787.jpg

004-1_zps4e2b685a.jpg

• Like 1

Guest styrenedemon

Looking really good! I love anything with a shark mouth on it, and I really like how the camo came out. Can't wait to see that gloss coat come off of it. 

Mike !  That looks outstanding -  love that !

I'd love to see some sort of "tutorial" of the use of oils as a wash .. that 3 letter word scares me to death because I'm terrified that whatever I do (because of the difference of medium) cannot be rectified without ruining the work that's gone before.

• Members

Grant,

I think the big difference in results for me this time was using mineral spirits vs. paint thinner.  Paint thinner seemed to be much hotter and attacked the clear coat more aggresively.  Other than that just using a small brush and using capillary action did the trick.  The small amount of residue I had wiped easily off with a cloth.  I was using Future as my gloss coat btw.

• Like 1

Grant,

I think the big difference in results for me this time was using mineral spirits vs. paint thinner.  Paint thinner seemed to be much hotter and attacked the clear coat more aggresively.  Other than that just using a small brush and using capillary action did the trick.  The small amount of residue I had wiped easily off with a cloth.  I was using Future as my gloss coat btw.

Thanks Mike, that gives me hope for the future!

• 10 months later...

Hey Mike

Thought I'd dig this one up as just looking at this bird or maybe another similar ZG76 110...

First, awesome build!!!

Anyway, do you have any pics of Nacke's mount, and can it be discerned whether it is a D or a E model?

DML have it as a D, whereas Eduard have it as a E (in their 1/48 kit instructions...)

Sadly Google was not my friend this time so wondering if you could help?

Cheers

Nick