The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Special Hobby Heinkel He100 D Tropical

Well a while since posting and just had to build this little beauty!

It's coming along quite nicely cockpit virtually finished and have decided to build it as a sort of what if!

It did actually fly about 25 were made and the only survivor is at the Planes of fame museum in Chino painted in the propaganda markings Black green,green and light blue!

For this build I am making it Hans Joachim Marseille yellow 14,sandy brown with a red rudder white wing tips and light blue under surfaces!

• Like 1

Thanks Gents for the support!

I admire all the work carried and posted on here some great talent!

Rick,I reckon a late 45 version will be very cool!

These Special Hobby kits aren't so bad,maybe a little basic cockpit wise but overall some interesting subjects that we can work with!

Am looking at the Hawk 75 the Chinese version!

But at moment want to finish this one!

Have decided to use some turned stainless rod for the gun barrels.

The openings need a little work as they aren't there! hehheh!

And am putting a spacer in the rear of the fuselage to make the rear canopy fit better!

Decals are by Lifelike the Otto set with the armoured car.

They are nice decals will post more pics soon!

Thanks4following!

Merry Xmas and peace to all!

Nice ... I've always wondered about this kite ...

From various sources I'm getting the feeling that this thing was a better performing machine than the 109 ... Politics being the main ingredient behind it's demise??

I've often thought about buying one of these kits ... certainly love your idea!

Rog :)

Happy New Year to all!

Rick,thanks buddy am using the the StripStyrene item 124,(020 * 080"),or metric is 0.5*2.0,it's the 1/4 scale 1*4,made by the great&egoism USA,Evergreen scale models,Woodinville,WA 98072.

Bought a while back at the Hobbycraft stores here in London,England.

It's funny because I used this strip behind the engine cover panels on my Trumpeter 1/32 P40 Flying Tigers! and it was so versatile to use.

The canopy is as you stated a little bit thick and looks not so good in one piece but I managed to cut in three pieces front,slider,and rear piece.

I managed to achieve a great cut by using CMK's razor saw I think it's my best tool in my kit apart from the Olfa putter.

I use Tamiya tape for a guide line erm the 6mm

Tape and this avoids any potential mid cuts or slips with the saw.

The rear piece is a bit fragile and I cut either side then finally in the middle!

Would love to see a build from you on this one I reckon you could fit a Daimler engine in there but a lot of work as the bulkhead parts would be tricky but i reckon achievable!

I do recommend building this one so far it's a bit different and my first one with Special Hobby but thoroughly enjoyable experience it goes together quick and looks ok maybe not the finesse of say a Tamiya/Hasegawa/Trumpeter.

The paints intending to use are Tamiya acrylic colours xf59 desert yellow,xf23 light blue,xf1 flat black,flat red for the rear tail fin,flat white for the bands and wing tips,and flat yellow for the engine under cowling.

Some Tamiya weathering sets and gun metal mig powders.

I have assembled a pilot from the D9 Focke Wulf Hasegawa but he looks a little big as the cockpit is quite narrow,I think it was in real life!

• 3 weeks later...

Well just a small update for this one a very enjoyable build and recommend if you don't mind a bit of work filling with white putty etc

I think am going to adjust the tan line with the light blue to come down slightly further at the front of fuselage and airbrush the white bands on!

Am thinking a feather edge may look better but at the moment like the tight masking line it will be weather yet not lots but subtle paint fading etc panel lines and smoke from

engine!

image_zpsphttmvhu.jpeg

image_zpsslr7sg9e.jpeg

image_zpswrnjzrid.jpeg

image_zps4npi8ubg.jpeg

image_zpsphttmvhu.jpeg

image_zpsgkaan2zi.jpeg

• Like 3

Have decided to use some turned stainless rod for the gun barrels.

The openings need a little work as they aren't there! hehheh!

Ha, I was stunned when I saw the gun barrel install instruction and then no opening in the wing. 

I have plenty of turned brass MG 151's.  I'm even thinking about adding ordinance (gun pods or Wr.21 tubes) on the wings. 

My bench is pretty crowded right now and I have 2 builds (1/48 Mossie and Tempest) I want to finish by late April.  2 other builds (A6M2b and P40B) are going to the temporary bin when I complete the cockpits and button up the fuselages.  Will break these out later 

My plan is to start the He100, DH.9 and finish my Ju88 Mistel 2 late spring.

Of course my final plan is usually in direct proportion with epic collision of real life.

Rick,

Thanks for your nice comments!

Good to see you have a few interesting projects

there.

I enjoy your work especially with the Avenger and Lufwaffe subjects!

Some great work in here!

I want to finish this one first and have a few in the stash I build large scale cars F1/LeMans sports cars etc!

So next is to finish Ligier 1/12 and then either a Corsair the Budweiser special or Kingfisher by Kittyhawk also have the 1/32 Raiden SWS which is very tempting!

Do you know anyone that has a 1/32 Hobbycraft Sea Fury,am trying to obtain one!

atb

Well just a small update for this one a very enjoyable build and recommend if you don't mind a bit of work filling with white putty etc

I think am going to adjust the tan line with the light blue to come down slightly further at the front of fuselage and airbrush the white bands on!

Am thinking a feather edge may look better but at the moment like the tight masking line it will be weather yet not lots but subtle paint fading etc panel lines and smoke from

engine!

image_zpsphttmvhu.jpeg

image_zpsslr7sg9e.jpeg

image_zpswrnjzrid.jpeg

image_zps4npi8ubg.jpeg

image_zpsphttmvhu.jpeg

image_zpsgkaan2zi.jpeg

love the scheme on this.  really nice work....

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well my first finished build of the year and am very pleased with the overall result only one thing Special Hobby could provide two canopies instead of one!

I cut my canopy into the three sections and it fits ok but the front needs filing at the bottom edge to sit neater and a pitot tube needs to be made out of turned tubing

or a hypo needle! as the kit one is not so good but had some great enjoyment from this kit and every work bench visit a joy!

image_zpsjg6ufoov.jpeg

image_zpswtyqp4ik.jpeg

P1060931.JPG

P1060933.JPG

P1060934.JPG

P1060935.JPG

P1060936.JPG

P1060937.JPG

P1060938.JPG

P1060939.JPG

P1060940.JPG

P1060941.JPG

P1060942.JPG

P1060932.JPG

• Like 2

A very special bird you built there and a great result you achieved. As a friend of strange "what if's" or to name it in a more recent term "alternate facts", i have to applaude. Nice touch with the white wall tyres.

I missed that plane in Chino, they must have hidden the Heinkel by the time I was there, what a pity.

Cheers Rob 

Thanks Gentlemen for your kind comments this is my first build of an alternate facts aircraft and a first model from the Special Hobby Company.

I think they have made some new interesting aircraft kits for the builder in 1/32 as they are Limited run kits they aren't maybe so straight forward as a major brand but are worth a look and if your looking for some more inspiration look up 

Logan Hartke on Facebook he has 

some great air profiles that he wishes us modellers to use!

Happy Modelling to all!

• Like 1