The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

B-17G Aluminum Overcast, 10/24/2014

crazypoet

I've been hauling these pictures taken during my visit and flight on Aluminum Overcast for far too long - time to share!

The EAA 2014 B-17 Tour made a stop near Atlanta, and there was zero chance that I was going to miss an opportunity to get up close and personal with the ship and her crew. 

Aluminum Overcast is a late-production G, serial number 44-85740, that did not see any combat time but was sold as surplus - for $750 - at the end of WWII.  Details of the ship, as reported by the EAA, are located here:  https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/about-eaa/eaa-media-room/eaa-b-17-aluminum-overcast-media-room/eaa-b-17-aluminum-overcast-history

I was one of the first to arrive that morning, and was booked on her first flight of the day.  That meant that I got to spend a good amount of time crawling around, inside and out.  I was also onboard for preflight, engine start and run-up and a lovely flight through perfect weather over the north Georgia mountains.

I was sadly not as thorough as I might have been in documenting the ship and the experience - I was too busy being in awe of the ship and some living B-17 aircrew who came to visit.

Regardless, here are the pictures I have from that day:

CE10ACC6-E199-4C51-8B88-6D39514DEDF1.jpg

952DFA3C-A512-4D8D-9948-AB0D4297E55A.jpg

71FD90EE-74F2-4965-AA2D-D88C164277DB_1.j

8643B51D-DCE8-413F-8A10-A39B74D070E7.jpg

• Like 2

Wonderful pictures poet, just great shots, nice lighting and perfect "closeness" to the subject.
I had sworn to myself to life out of my well filled stash for some years, but you are planting doubts in me about purchasing a 1/32 B17.
I will give that some thoughts, in fact a lot of.

cheers Rob

I have the HK G kit in my stash, which I plan to build as a tribute to a specific craft and crew, lost over Czechoslovakia n March of 1945.  The pilot was the grandfather of a close friend, so I want to be sure I get it right

I remember taking a close look at this (B-17) air frame in Hendon, North London, and considering the thin aluminium skin of the B-17. I am myself a Military Veteran, but it makes my skin crawl how conditions must have been at two miles (plus) high, sucking your air through a rubber tasting mask terrified that any skin exposed to the sub zero air would freeze solid in seconds, constantly scanning the sky for the inevitable hail of cannon shells that would have caused insurmountable damage to the air frame, and unthinkable damage to the aircrew....somehow to call the lads who manned these planes over Europe with the 8th Air force brave just doesn't quite adequately say it....

• Like 1

• 1 year later...