Welcome to Large Scale Modeller

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

James H

trumpeter
1/32 Junkers Ju 87A 'Anton'

Hi all,

I've just finished this build of the Trumpeter 1/32 Junkers Ju 87A 'Anton', in Spanish Civil War colours. This project preceded the Fw 189 I'm building, but this one was postponed a while due to waiting for masks and decals to be made. All national markings and serial are masked, with the spat emblem and stencils as decals. Model has the cowl corrected and a number of Eduard sets glued in there. All in all, a really nice model kit, not without accuracy issues. I've been in the modelling doldrums for a few projects now, so I needed something that would restore some faith in ability and drive me on to complete the Fw 189.

This one will be in the next issue of Military Illustrated Modeller, published mid-April. 

I hope you like her.

DSC_5607-copy.jpg

DSC_5609-copy.jpg

rieser, Kagemusha, Dubz and 8 others like this

Exquisite work! Well done. How did you manage correcting the cowl? I have the "B" and was thinking of using the Revell cowl for that build.

Cheers,  Tom

Now that is a color scheme you don't see very often.  Very well done.  Outstanding. :thumbsup2:

Cheers,

Jerry  :piliot:

On 3/14/2017 at 11:47 AM, Uncarina said:

Exquisite work! Well done. How did you manage correcting the cowl? I have the "B" and was thinking of using the Revell cowl for that build.

Cheers,  Tom

On 3/14/2017 at 5:02 AM, James H said:

... Model has the cowl corrected ...

The cowl doesn't need correcting on the A ... or at least not from what I've seen. So what did you actually do?? It had a Jumo 210 power plant.

On 3/14/2017 at 11:47 AM, Uncarina said:

Cheers,  Tom

The B engine (Jumo 211) was much larger necessitating a remodelled cowl ... sort of similar to the variation in shape you get between a Bf.109F and Bf.109G.

The Trumpeter B kit has a few inaccuracies at the front end ... but Brian Fawcett's correction set fixes most ...

http://www.fawcettmodelsandpatterns.co.uk/1-32-junkers-ju-87-b2-r2-correction-set

Rog :)

The cowl does indeed need correcting. The two forward facing scoops either side of the main intake....they should have a circular opening. The kit doesn't provide this. 

Notice how that opening causes a scoop in the cowl, to the front of it. 

IMG_0584.JPG

IMG_0585.JPG

Artful69 likes this

22 minutes ago, James H said:

The cowl does indeed need correcting. The two forward facing scoops either side of the main intake....they should have a circular opening. The kit doesn't provide this. 

Notice how that opening causes a scoop in the cowl, to the front of it. 

Nice work (sorry, forgot to say that before) ... I'm studying, but not seeing!! (which is frustrating) ... The two scoops in the kit are hollowed out, not solid or blanked over - so do you mind providing some more detail? ... Please? :help:

22 minutes ago, James H said:

The exhausts also barely protrude. They are almost flush. 

I thought the exhausts were supposed to barely protrude?

One thing I did notice, looking at the kit parts ... the spinner looks to be a bit longish. I know it's supposed to be pointy, not rounded - like the B, but shorter than the D/G variants

Rog :)

The scoops issue is simple to resolve. Here are some comparison photos. 

The exhausts do protrude slightly in real life, but more than what the kit depicts. With the kit, it is almost negligible. 

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

crazypoet likes this

3 minutes ago, James H said:

The scoops issue is simple to resolve. Here are some comparison photos. 

The exhausts do protrude slightly in real life, but more than what the kit depicts. With the kit, it is almost negligible. 

Ah-HA!! gotcha! ... Thanks for that! :D

Rog :)

6 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Fantastic, looking forward to reading the article, from where did you get the decals and masks?

Kajetan Schulz of Copper State Models did these as a custom for me, but I think he may have been looking at selling regular. If you're on Facebook, check him out on my friends list and send him a message.