The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Thanks All for following along!

It's been a while since my last report.  I was dealing with a bad flew.  However, it's back to work...slowly.

I did manage to build the frames for the engine bay, and that's about it for two weeks work.

IMG_2647_zpsr7gitas9.jpg

So after a couple of weeks, it's back to work on the engine bay covers.

Be Back soon.  Thanks All

Hey All,

I have had one serious time trying to get my mojo back after the bout dealing with the this cold.  Actually I'm past the flew now, but I have had to force myself to get to back to work, and also I was not enjoying my current state of affairs. 

When I left off, I was building the cage and hoods for the fuel tanks. That build continues...

I had to start with the skeleton for the cage.  More with trimming the thin cage frame and adding the stiffening elements...

IMG_2648_zpsg5g02tql.jpg

Time to go 3D...

IMG_2649_zpsi72ut0mg.jpg

IMG_2650_zpsckxl7ct4.jpg

Once I got the cage together, it was time to add the details...

IMG_2651_zpsfpzqxjee.jpg

IMG_2652_zps53htz2kp.jpg

Test fit...

IMG_2653_zpsp1zdxiou.jpg

I now have to build the other side.

Be Back Sooner...

• Like 1

I'm feeling great lately and getting back to work.  Thanks everybody for your nice comments.

I managed to do more work in one day today, than any day in the past three weeks.

I got the fuel tank covers finished...

IMG_2654_zpsk1wuqfxt.jpg

IMG_2655_zpsk4q73czu.jpg

Starting the engine covers next...Thanks All.

• Like 1

Hey All,

The build of the Engine Covers continues.  I have reached a point were I needed to start building the cab.  The back wall of the cab supports the end of the cage for the covers.  

The build progress dose not look that impressive as far as how much was built, but the new elements are tricky, and getting everything to fit properly is an exercise in compromising. 

The state of the build to date.  The cage is sort of flimsy at this stage of the build.  I have realized how easy it is to get this out of square, so I try to introduce the body panels as soon as the cage is built to keep thing together.

The build is as usual...The cage...

IMG_2656_zps2bsmpcvw.jpg

IMG_2657_zpsojukcgto.jpg

IMG_2659_zpsjh9yrssa.jpg

IMG_2660_zpshtoqkw9a.jpg

I got to this point and realized I haven't test fitted this yet...

IMG_2661_zpsekbkgvwm.jpg

Looks good so far...

IMG_2662_zpsq2pjl1ax.jpg

Be Back Later All........

• Like 1

Hey,

I've been spending the last couple of days making louvers for the engine covers.  18 in all for the top side vents.

I just thought you might like to know how I make mine.

flat geometry...

IMG_2663_zpsmjn3dpqi.jpg

Then the curling process...I start with the main body.  Here, I am using a round file for the bending.

IMG_2664_zpshxuchjda.jpg

Then I use the tip of the file to bend the ends of the geometry into a sort of bowl shape.

IMG_2665_zpsfnwghhkw.jpg

IMG_2666_zpsykl5prkw.jpg

IMG_2667_zps6pdovues.jpg

IMG_2668_zpsdpxj7l7c.jpg

IMG_2669_zpsh2rduugj.jpg

A little bit of clean up at the corners and.....

IMG_2670_zpsds6mtk5e.jpg

I'll be back when I get all this secured to the engine covers.

Thanks All..........

• Like 2

Hey Guys,                                                                                                         

I have finished with the basic cage around the engine.  Now it's just finish skinning everything and adding the details.

Be Back Later All.

IMG_2673_zps9v8nm11h.jpg

IMG_2675_zpsyv5clcab.jpg

IMG_2674_zps8ujmoas6.jpg

• Like 2

Hey All,

I just received a notice from our friends at PB, that my account is being closed.  Even tho I have already paid up until June.  I think they can't stand the idea of me "getting away" with my account as is, so I've been shut down.

I do not know when they will scratch the photos, but I will be back when I find a new host.

The building of the Engine Covers continues with the hinges for the hoods.  I have spent the last week or so cutting parts and assembling the hinges and I will take photos of everything so I'll have plenty to show when I get back.

Thanks All.

• 2 weeks later...

I got it sorted guys, Thanks!

Hey All,

Good to be back.  I'm still trying to get a grip on ImageShack, so I hope all this works out ok.  I can't seem to see my images on their site.  However....

I left off with needing to add the details to the engine cover.  This all went well but slow.

More hinges...

pmwioxRgj

pmEfRM37j

A lot of test fitting...

pnirDoESj

pmP8pfk0j

Grab Handles...

pn1P1747j

pmXmrU9Bj

A last look before the great cover up...

pmrKQUJEj

poicaa87j

pnDEeNOPj

pmgujP0Wj

At this point it was off to the Paint Dept. for a rough job...

pn97EqQgj

pmZrja4kj

Fresh back from the paint shop...

pmN6tp6tj

GusMac,  wanted to know how much Betty weighs these days...

poktLnklj

pmZO1XcXj

She's getting hefty now!

I have so much extraneous stuff to build, that I will be working all over for a while.  Fuel cans, Oxy bottles, Grab handles, Clamps...just a bunch of small stuff.  

I'm also working on the Cab structure.  I have plenty of things to work on, but I'll take photos of all the small stuff.

Until next time..........

• Like 1

Hey All,

A short report for today.  The last couple of days were spent on the Mufflers.  Not to complicated, but with some rod bending.

Parts....

pne76Hkcj

I just need some connecting pipe now....

pnmDYsOBj

pmyeB4O2j

Two new, old rusted Mufflers...

pmLMgjevj

I get to mount these under the Running Boards, up under the engine.  Only the exhaust tips of the mufflers will be seen from the outside.

That's it for now.  The next report will be on the all the hood locks.

Stayed Tuned.........

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I have been working on the hood locks the last few days.  I just thought I would show a failed attempt.

I have twelve hood locks to build.  Because I built the hoods to be opened and closed, I needed working hood locks.  I'm not so sure about the first attempt.

I first built an original and then cast the twelve sets of parts.  An unfortunate arrangement of parts in the mold...

pnRkqBhvj

Then it took forever to get everything separated and cleaned.

pnwcVLDtj

Once I got all that taken care of, it was time to put the parts together...

pnVIUgEWj

I drilled out the centers of the lock flanges to accept the wire for the lock.

pomHYLRzj

I think this is a fail because this is about as small as I can build with the styrene, but still looks way to big for the parts...

pnhUPBg4j

I really like the shape and how this turned out.  Just a bit to big for me tho.

pm3ZxdVUj

Plan-B will be an attempt to make the locks out of card.  I can cut very much smaller with less weight to the stock.  Also I can superglue the paper which turns the paper very stiff and rigid.

More attempts to come,  Later.............

• Like 1

An other brief report today.  I have been working all over the build with a bunch of small stuff, but I thought I would show the stirrings of the cab build...

I really wanted to know how big the cab would be, and also what the final chapter will entail. So I started with the basic cab layout...

The parts...

pmkyty3Nj

This is the basic frame of the cab.  I will work out the details of the finished skin along the way.

pmbVswr9j

pmC8KwGhj

Always with the test fitting....

pmXKHqAYj

Doesn't look like much now, but it will soon look somewhat like a Maz cab. 

That's it for now, be back soon...