The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Happy Holiday's All,

So the cab build is going really... strange, for me.  I have a weird sort of conglomeration of the several references that I have, and now I'm trying to get a grip on how I'm going to build this.

The Trumpeter kit has all the great detail that I want to add to my build, so using that as my inspiration to a finished end.  I have worked out an approach that might work

What I'm doing is I'm building three cabs and blending them together.  You have already seen the "hanger" or "skeleton" or "frame"...

pmXKHqAYj

pocbUoKOj

Above is the most basic frame, the first cab to be finished.  This will be the hanger that everything else will be supported by.  What I will now try, is to build the next cab.

The second cab will be built on the inside of the first cab.  I'm going to build the inside of the cab as individual components, and then insert each separately. 

pmaPjdcrj

por5AUpaj

Of course I did a bunch of test fitting.  This idea of the components will work if I get everything tight fitting to a finished state before moving to the pain shop.

pmhWESDHj

Then adding some details to the under side of the dash board...

I built the in cabin heater with some miscellaneous stuff hanging down.

poxVFaWRj

pnBXtRbJj

The next thing was to hide it all under were you can't see, under were the dash instruments will be.  This is just dry fit for now.  I will keep everything loose until I can't.

pmLqYd2Uj

pnOzagg0j

Things with the build have been slowed to almost, non existent, with the holidays here.  Everyone knows how that goes right now.

I'll post again when I recover.........Happy Holiday's Everyone!

• Like 2

Happy holidays Rich,

looking very nice for a non existent progress :). Seems to be heavy partying around your holidays if you need to recover from that.
Can't wait to see more of the details inside the cab.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 1

I hope everyone had a plastic Christmas!

Hey All,

I have managed to get a little work done over the past week or so.  With all the beer and loud laughing not much really.

I did some more work on the cab interior.  You all know me by now, and how I build thing that no one will see.  I spent the time building the batteries that rest under the cab seats.

the cab parts so far...

pmLieABdj

building the batteries was simple enough.  In the non holiday world this would take a day to build, I must have spent a week...

pnOao2eHj

pnMx6swCj

pnMXJaXOj

That's it for now,  I'll be back when the next round runs out, after New Year's...

• Like 2

Hey Cees, or anybody.  I can see the images great from my end.  Please, is it just the last post that didn't show or are all the Imageshack photos not showing?

I can reinsert the photos, let me know how far back to go.

Thanks All!

Hey Guys, I hope everyone had a great holiday season!!

Now back to work...The cab continues.

I spent what hours I could working on the cab seating.  it seems I spent a ridiculous amount of days building the seats, but in reality, it only took a few hours, just not all at one time.

I first had to fit the back wall of the cab.  A couple of openings and some trim, then off to the paint shop.

po3ccbTWj

pnYYYwJhj

The camera was full of holiday stuff, so I didn't get as many photos as I should have of the seat construction.  The sizing and placement went fine and the bench and side seat turned out fine.

pmzfh8L2j

I built the drivers seat as a separate unit.  The coloring all has to be weathered yet...

I made the basic form out of card, then applied the tissue and white glue technique...

po83BnFRj

png89BNVj

pm7SCnttj

Once I got all the seats constructed, it was time to fit to the cab...

pnMMfmOUj

pngpgxezj

poERF44lj

Now that everything is out of the way for a while I can concentrate on the rest of the cab.  I think the floors are next.

Until then All............

• Like 3

This is for all the old guys with bad eye sight, the photos aren't the best, but you can see stuff.

poTrasKGj

If you look closely, you can see the support springs for the cushion, between the leather cover and the insulation batting.

pn17WfNjj

pmkuYxCVj

pmlBgn35j

The Driver seat...

pnM7Flphj

The details are small in the cab.  I'll show better photos with more details later...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

I feel, after the holidays, things seem to going a bit slow.  I'm building, but just not so fast.

The cab build continues. I have permanently installed the seating and the inside of the cab walls.

The cab wall are simple shapes with a bit of a color change.

pn8pwlQkj

po0sPLBKj

Then I worked to finish the dashboard underside, and get this ready for install.  This is my Heater Duct for cab front window.

The parts...

po1QJvElj

I used foil from gum wrappers to get my finish on the ducts.

pmy1cML4j

I bend thick copper wire to the shape.  Then wrap thin wire around and secure.

poR2JLbej

Then wrap with the foil...Heater Ducts.

Just odds and ends for this report.  I'll be back later with a more comprehensive cab report.

Later All.........

• Like 1

Hi Rich,

I don't know if it is only me and my very sloooowly island Internet, but I can't load the pictures in your (picture heavy) MAZ thread.
Maybe I have to wait for the beginning of the next page or the installation of fibre optics on my tiny island (projected)

Cheers Rob

Hey All,

Today's report...still working on the cab.  I have managed to finish the, under the dashboard details.  The space is getting so tight that I have a hard time taking the photos I want, so you just have to go with what I have here.

The small details took a bit of time, but turned out fine.  The floor peddles are hard to make out here but I did build the fuel, brake, gear shifter, and E-brake.  The steering column took a day by itself.

pnZbIROVj

pnKmD5t1j

Wrapping the Steering Wheel...

pmqz3Xkkj

And then a few shots of the cab interior...

pm3OzwP5j

po06eHeMj

pmNk8JKej

I have a few more items to do, mostly with ageing the interior and generally making things a mess.  I'm just about to the point were I want to start on the closing of the cab. A bit more on my fitting issues, and then I start building the cab roof to close all this up.

Thanks for watching........be back later

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

It's been a bit since I've posted so I'll get to it.

I had a slight stall waiting for material and tools, so I started with trying to get the geometry for the roof and nose.  I started a little work all over for a bit.

I'm still working a bit on the card mock-up of the roof, trying to get the bends correct.  More to go here.

pno7MqdUj

The Headlamp Buckets are also under construction...

pm94luA5j

pnEbmsrVj

I found a hundred photos of a Maz dashboard, and it seems, a hundred dashboard layouts.  The three kits I'm using for references all have very similar layouts.  So, flip a coin and go with it.

poE30fMmj

Drill out the corners, and cut...

pnBFqGmij

Always test fitting...

poTdmCBMj

poKZPzlij

Once I got the floating elements worked out, then it was adding the details.

pmVdnve3j

Fresh glazed Gauge Glass.  Say that three times fast...

pmmGj3oHj

pmgBe7Rbj

pmqKtNcYj

pnvEiMO5j

pncHOE5Sj

At this point, I'm sorta building a little bit, all over the cab at once.  I'm starting to consider the doors, and finalizing the Interior Roof plan.

Be Back Later All.....Thanks for Watching

• Like 3

Hey All,

Today's report is small, but important in that I have started with the final outside skin of the cab.  This part of the build is a matter of cutting a pattern then test fitting this several times until I get just the correct angles. Slow work but I think it will look reasonable in the end.

Once I got the nose skin into place, which was really easy, the rest of the panels have been a pain. I have several pieces that have compound curves that are quite nasty.

I started with the nose skin, and side panels...

pmWkh40Nj

Once I got the skin attached for these three pieces I peeled off the paper patterns  and got the seams ready for putty.

pozn8EHij

poSnL89xj

The curved nose piece is going to be a huge pain with several curves.  I have cut the piece into to parts to make the install somewhat easier.

pnPQ6RdCj

Once I got the bends just right...I hope.

poSnL89xj

You can see here that the dash slope to the window is a nice compound curve,  front to back, side to side, and top to bottom.

In this next photo I am fitting the Windshield Frame.  The same as everything else. Cut, test fit, recut...

pm0UNnsXj

I just thought I would show that not everything goes well all the time.  I have some major seam gaps and general fit issues to deal with here.

pnKIZvLmj

po7Jxvyfj

I also have a real nasty compound curve to fill in this corner at the bottom of the window..  Somehow I have to fill this space, with a curve that matches the nose skin and the window slant and the corner brace post...It'll get sorted tho.

Hope you enjoy the report,  be back later all.

• Like 1

Thanks Gus, it looks to be a right bit of work ahead.

Hey Everyone,

The construction of the cab interior progresses.  I have built the interior door panels and installed the windscreen frame, along with some small items that needed tidying up.

Once I got the windscreen installed and the gaps closed up, things were, not as stressful.  The bent and crooked cab walls are straightening up a bit and all looks to be a bit more encouraging.

pmtc77qCj

Looks to be a good time to putty the seams and corners.

Time to build some doors.

po1aQRPCj

You can see, this is just sheet styrene.  The handles are rod, and the, O.S.! handle, is bent tin solder.

Fresh back from the paint shop...

pnNTgf5qj

The photo seams to show much more red that green here.

po19aDfLj

pmmcgOyCj

Then the install of the Windscreen...

pmtc77qCj

I also had to install the interior corner posts...always test fitting...

pmAkU4ldj

Fresh painted interior corner posts...installed.

pmVkThKyj

The cab to date...

pm1hIYWpj

pmijtlpaj

pn6iKmm7j

More situations to arise, ensue, and overcome, I'm sure.  I'll be back later...Thanks All!

• Like 2

Hey Guys!

I have finished with building the interior roof.  I had a couple of fun items to build, and then close up the cab.

The first thing was to putty up the cab gaps and get it all ready for sanding.

pm0953NGj

Once the putty has dried, the sanding starts...

pouQ0Kgwj

I'm not going to finish this so clean.  The nature of the wrinkles and scabs will add to Betty's used look under the paint.

pmdLw0LPj

Looks like the cab is going to fit nicely.

The building of the interior roof was simple enough.  I had some details to add here.  It all starts with a flat sheet...

pnEZVuXYj

The making of the sun screens...

pmOB3Cegj

pnsoaonCj

pn7MeRvgj

The roof is not secured in this photo, but you can see how the sun screen looks.

pnqc2cOIj

I'm starting to consider the exterior paint job.  A few more exterior details, and it's off to the paint shop. It seems I see a light ahead and I'm now starting with the finishing faze of this build.

Once I get the roof installed and closed up, it will be a race to the finish line.  Until then I still have a bunch of small details to add.

Be back later All...........

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

The last photos of the interior.  I'll be closing the roof in the morning.

pm1G8bA5j

poBzZckMj

pmomevxlj

pomFx63jj

I'll put the roof on tomorrow, and then start the surface details.

Thanks, Rich

• Like 3

Hey All,

A couple of hours work, and the roof is on.

pmC5oWuxj

The first sanding finished...

pogl67nZj

Alright Boys,  I have reached the biggest milestone to date.

The MAZ truck is now finished!  I have finely completed all of the major builds to complete this project.

Of course I still have to finish all the little details and paint various items, but all are not the vehicle itself.  just all the extraneous items to clean this up, and all is done. About another month of work left to do.

poHOgSuxj

pmEy3GwZj

pnj17jF5j

I have a ton of clean up on the cab before I send it to the paint shop.  I'll be back after the paint job.

Thanks for watching All........

• Like 3

Hey All,

More to report.  I finally got the cab exterior detailed and the cab back from the paint shop.  It all looks as sloppy as the rest of the pain job.  So everything's great.

After I got the cab finished, I started with the corner lights, and then the grab handles and the tie downs...

corner lights...

pnRIV023j

grab handles...

pnyT6QgBj

tie downs...

poX9gOLpj

back from the paint shop...

poKRmX1mj

The color match looks good...

pnJHIFe0j

I'll be back with more cab details,(windows, lights, etc...)

Thanx All............

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

It's been awhile since my last report.  I ran into a bit of a nightmare with installing the windows and had a heck of a time trying to get things under control.

I shot myself in the foot so bad, I had thoughts of abandoning this build!  The windows should have been installed while I was building the cab interior and installed before I attached the outside skin, before the roof went on.

I had an easy enough time with installing the window seals, but when it came time to installing the glass, I just about through the whole thing in the trash.  

What happened... I just had no room to install the glass. You know the drill. One broken item leads to another and another and another...

A week and a half later, and I have managed to get the glass installed, but just.  I'm afraid that if I breath on this thing to hard it will fall apart.  The rest of the interior has been put back together.  

But Wait....that's not all. After all that, now the doors don't fit so well anymore. More to work on.

However, at least the photos look like I had a good time.

I used some clear plastic from some pastry container for the glass...

png1BF57j

pmesHjI1j

I tried to get a shot with a good reflexsion...

pmjFNKQUj

pm7et7OYj

I really want to put a nice dirty mess on the windows,  I just don't want them to fall out again.  I'll work on it.

Getting ready to close up the front of the frame,  last looks...

pnwCX86Qj

poCEfa6nj

pozL9OSKj

The new cab get bolted down for good in the morning...

poYH1BfLj

poPNbSFRj

pmAmi9EVj

I have plenty more to do, be back later..........

• Like 2

Wow, what a beast you created there. I think your final task will be to design an enormous cloud of fume from the exhausts. This one looks like it has seen a lot of hard use over some decades in Siberian conditions.

Sorry to hear about your problems concerning the windows. Every modelling projekt seems to have a backbreaker episode, but with your epic build it would be a shame not to continue. Sometimes it is good to lean back, have a beer or a whiskey and some no bench time to clear the head and then back to work with a fresh CTRL-ALT-DEL :D.

For an unknown reason I am able to open your Thread today, did you reduce the picture size? My net isn't accelerated by now, but will be in the future. I hope the best, because I like to see how you finish this Russian Bear.

Cheers Rob