The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

WNW Fe.2b "Early" WIP

Guest DannyVM

Guest DannyVM

Frickin' awesome! Give me a quick tip on that wood grain. I have something coming off soon that would benefit ;) 

Thank's James.:thumbsup2:

Well, first base need's a semi gloss or gloss coat. 

Start from this aspect : 

c6DJghWh.jpg

Now the trick is to use minimum 3 flat brushes. With the first brush you blend the dots into each other with long streaks. In between you clean your brush onto a paper towl. Important, do not use any thinner or solvent to clean your brush or thin your oil paint. Take the second clean brush and again do the same, you can change direction of streaks. You will see that the pattern get's finer according as you will use another brush. Repeat this step until you are satisfied with the result.

This is the first blend

dimSfEuh.jpg

Second blend

jmCL8u4h.jpg

And last

EXsIZCch.jpg

I hope this gives a good image James.

Greetz

Danny

Wow that wood effect is spot on. 

I have tried two methods to simulate wood 1st was a mix I came up with, this was tried by a couple of guys on this site. But didn't work out for them so this has been shelved. 

The second was a garden fence treatment, very much like a coloured varnish used similar techniques to you,great if you're looking for a quick affect. 

But your finish looks so convincing great job,love the map. 

I have a stupid paint question...  With the oils, how long do they need to cure after painting?  My only current experience with oil paints is on canvas, and they take days/weeks to cure.  I somehow suspect that you have a way around that issue...?

• Like 1

Guest DannyVM

I have a stupid paint question...  With the oils, how long do they need to cure after painting?  My only current experience with oil paints is on canvas, and they take days/weeks to cure.  I somehow suspect that you have a way around that issue...?

When i do my wood grain work with oils, i leave them for over a week to cure. But there's a additive that fastens the drying time to only one day. I did not use this so i don't know if it's really working but i hear good reviews of it. 

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Hi Guy's,

lot's of people asked me regarding my wood grain technique how i achieve that result. So at first i had a plan to shoot a video of the WIP, but as i am no video guy, and my English isn't really what it should to be, i decided to shoot some extra photo's with the explanation of the several step's that need's to be taken.

I added some explanation into the photo's themselves so it is easy to copy them with the explanation.

I hope they are of some use to you guy's.

Ok, here we go:popcorn: 

7DT90qkh.jpg

yN1qYzVh.jpg

Uf4GMqth.jpg

qyYtD2wh.jpg

KR3pMbvh.jpg

fQHGxhYh.jpg

j8Wj9oFh.jpg

8rJL0r1h.jpg

C7srM4yh.jpg

q52G4cTh.jpg

Part two,

9dnTJDNh.jpg

OflXVC1h.jpg

bnbh3X1h.jpg

1vqnF1kh.jpg

XxWD3Ish.jpg

This whole piece takes about ten minutes to go from a plastic part to a wooden part with this technique.

The final result look's like this :

AIlywb3h.jpg

M3sfyJah.jpg

Due to the use of the oil paint, the drying time will be around a week. There are additives to get a quicker drying time, but i didn't use them yet with this technique.

Greetz

Danny

Awesome tutorial!  Many thanks..

My first attempt on this will be a 1:24 scale wooden bucket from Shapeways.  I'll need to do the interior, exterior and bottom - so I'll use the bottom as my practice bit... :)

i have had a set of wood grain decals in 1:24, but I'm really not thrilled with them (they're intended for use on model cars and seem a bit crude), so this is a great chance for me to learn a new technique

Great Tutorial Danny, this will help a lot and the results are really convincing. For me the replication of Wood was always a Little mystery, since my own Tests didn't result in a realistic Wood effect. So knock on Wood mate and you are the "Honour Woody" of the day :D

Thanks Rob

Guest DannyVM

Thank's Guy's for the nice comment's. ;)

Cockpit of the Fee is finally done and closed in by the two fuselage half's. Seat-belt's are also added and insides are wheatered.

7F50Mjgh.jpg

aVxp5dlh.jpg

qPLLG3Sh.jpg

jlRMMC5h.jpg

VpUKXeZh.jpg

63peCBgh.jpg

3453tVyh.jpg

cTqSlyyh.jpg

fSl3uoRh.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Very nice details...I like the canvas effect.

Thank's for the nice comment.:thumbsup2:

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Today i made some progress on the Fee.

Time to glue the bottom armor plate onto the fuselage

z2TVL6Ch.jpg

This was already painted in a black primer coat and today i painted the iron coat on it.

LF4AMlEh.jpg

Next step, the landing gear. I dry-fitted each part onto the fuselage and glued only the part's together.

6AW2u61h.jpg

NNoAnOxh.jpg

ilkp71kh.jpg

fi3TZPuh.jpg

After the glue dried, i removed the landing gear from the fuselage to ease the painting proces.

PbYedV7h.jpg

dUH2Ihjh.jpg

The early balcony machine-gun mount was also glued together and afterwards removed.

568BvPSh.jpg

faMerSjh.jpg

Finally i made an early start on the 120 hp Beardmore engine also.

PbLRuMmh.jpg

uM94NgXh.jpg

Greetz

Danny