The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/48 Wellington Mk.X (He727 NA-K)

Jeroen,

Looking great buddy, you really start to get the hang of those RAF-kites.

I hope you have remove the two little tabs on the wingstubs? Otherwise you cannot remove the wings anymore. Guess how I know^_^

Cheers

Cees

• Like 2

• Administrators

Visited the airwar museum in Heemskerk today again. This time for a small modelling venue with Cees Broere. There are two museums with artefacts from the Wilnis crash. Aalsmeerderbrug and Heemskerk. Here you see part of a mainwheeldoor, ammo, gun mount, cilinder, etc.

8179FAA9-6A3B-4BC4-B629-B3964753AE46.jpeg0AAB63B2-F6E8-4F46-B5DA-2E7A26CB099B.jpeg

• Like 5

Jeroen, now I can see it better than this morning when I wasn't fully awake yet:)

It seems the pins on the block is not properly located.

If you can get the block off again just remove the pins and glue in the correct position. You said that the blocks have the same partnumber but looking at the pic they must be handed if the other side has the same problem?

Cheers

Cees

• Like 3

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Wingco57 said:

Jeroen, now I can see it better than this morning when I wasn't fully awake yet:)

It seems the pins on the block is not properly located.

If you can get the block off again just remove the pins and glue in the correct position. You said that the blocks have the same partnumber but looking at the pic they must be handed if the other side has the same problem?

Cheers

Cees

The thing is that there is only one wat to glue the blocks.

Right now i have two options:

- remove the blocks and try not to damage the surrounding area.

- remove parts of the blocks so i can angle the wings in the right stance.

• Like 1

I would go for option A. If you can prise the blocks off the fuselage without too much damage you can butt joint (and perhaps use a pin or two) the block in the correct position. I have made two Mk Ic's in the past I can't remember having this same issue.

If you angle the blocks you have less glue surface to ensure a strong bond, althoud the endges of the wing are a generally good fit against the fuselage IIRC.

Weird.
Cees

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Getting there! Snipped of sone parts of the connecting blocks so i can position the wings in the right angle. 

Some more photo etch to go on the rudder and wings. Then aaaalmost time for paint. Only need to order masks to make the NAK. And spray the roundels ofcourse. No decals will be used.

0A65B6A4-9512-4ABC-A7DE-C6879AD5960D.jpeg0A65B6A4-9512-4ABC-A7DE-C6879AD5960D.jpeg

2FF361D8-C622-4481-BCA8-A3DBE06CC29D.jpeg

• Like 5

• Administrators

Thnx guys,

Trying to piece together the codes, colours and schemes for this plane, since no photo's of it are known.

At least not to me.

The closest I can get is a photo of a Wimpy from the same Ghost squadron which is famous for getting it's tail blown half off.

Matchbox did a kit on this. They seem to have gotten the left profile wrong (judging from the photo that I have of this plane, the NA-Y).

Thing I do dare to go by is the right profile, which is also featured on the box art and the ghost squadron badge on the nose.

I will order masks from Maketar.

This is the colorised photo:

wellington.jpg

This is the WRONG Matchbox interpretation:

match_wellington-sideviews.png

And this is the box art:

PK-402-4-01.jpg

And here's an article I found:

A-Wellington-MkX-RCAF-428-Ghost-Sqn-NA-Y-HE239-Battle-of-the-Ruhr-1943-Flypast-2013-0A-1.jpg

• Like 5

Three thoughts come to mind:

1. If there are no actual photos of this specific plane, it seems you have at least enough info to create an "historically plausible" set of markings.

2. If there are no actual photos of this specific plane, no one can tell you that what you've done is incorrect.

3. I just hit my 60th year of model building and I can tell you, with assurance, that it has been proven, time and again, that 90% of markings were applied as per orders, but, inevitably, for whatever of a million reasons, some planes (and tanks, trains, ships, uniforms, etc etc etc) ended up being marked (or colored, camouflaged, rigged, armed, etc  etc etc) differently than the others. 95% of us who build models know this and accept it and get on, happily, with our model building. It's the other 5%, the Experten and Rivet Counters, that should just be ignored. (Or shot.)

Case in point: My dad's second tour in the Pacific was in PV-1 Venturas. If you have a copy of PV Ventura in Action, look at the back cover profile. His PV is pictured there and you will see that the wheel hubs are painted blue and white. When the first 1/72 Ventura kit came out decades ago, I decided to build my dad's plane and, when I got to painting the hubs, asked him what the FS # of the blue was. In his classic, old up-from-the-ranks-sailor-made-Captain language, he responded, "oh bullshit....we used whatever damn paint we could get our hands on....there was a war on, God dammit".

Jeroen, I applaud you, again, for this excellent build and the sentiment behind it. You rock.

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

PS 60 years??????? Whaaaaat? I know....scary, right. Started at age 5 with an Aurora F9F like the one my dad flew and with a kit he brought home from the Pentagon newsstand. Pretty cool.

• Like 3

That Matchbox boxart really blew my mind when I saw it for the first time in the toyshop as a little boy. At 7,5 guilders it was very expensive and I had to save for a long time to be able to buy it. Also the original Matchbox rendering of the geodetic structure on the wings was never surpassed.

Get those wingy things on Jeroen!^_^

Cees

• Like 2

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Michaelscarborough said:

Case in point: My dad's second tour in the Pacific was in PV-1 Venturas. If you have a copy of PV Ventura in Action, look at the back cover profile. His PV is pictured there and you will see that the wheel hubs are painted blue and white. When the first 1/72 Ventura kit came out decades ago, I decided to build my dad's plane and, when I got to painting the hubs, asked him what the FS # of the blue was. In his classic, old up-from-the-ranks-sailor-made-Captain language, he responded, "oh bullshit....we used whatever damn paint we could get our hands on....there was a war on, God dammit".

That's pretty cool Michael, and of course you're right...

At least I've made an 'educated' guess :)

• Like 1