The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HPH model 1/48 scale B-36 Peacemaker !

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

I’d buy a B-58. I’m also buying the B-47 when it comes out. I want to do it in RCAF colors. Just to be different.  It’ll get comments. 

722514E5-DC23-4BC3-9EC2-9164EFE601E3.jpeg

That's a great idea....Do post some pix when when you get your hands on the Peacemaker,love to see them.

There is someone who could help you with markings on the B-47 (not that there were many) and decals...Bill Burns at CanMilAir. could send him an email and ask,dealt with him many times,great guy and very helpful.

• Like 5

• Administrators

Yup, I’ve corresponded with him by email as well. One of my other pet projects is converting the big Trumpeter Mi-17 into a Canadian Army bird. He thought he could handle some masks or decals for that application as well.

• Like 4

ch-178.jpg

13 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Yup, I’ve corresponded with him by email as well. One of my other pet projects is converting the big Trumpeter Mi-17 into a Canadian Army bird. He thought he could handle some masks or decals for that application as well.

009.jpg

• Like 4

• Administrators
On 8/24/2018 at 12:44 PM, Martinnfb said:

This is embarrassing ,but I had no idea that RCAF was using Stratojets at all. With addition of the Orenda engine this would be one unique bird.

The only Nation other than the USA to inventory Stratojets. Back in the day when Canada was actually serious about having a first class nuclear strike force. Before the ICMB.  They got complacent once the ICBM came online.

B-47 was a grand experiment, but the up and coming politicos didn’t like the idea of an offensive bomber force, (but was perfectly cool with ICBMs). Odd stuff

• Like 3

Martin.... don't be embarrassed, we only had the ONE B 47, and it was 'borrowed' from our cousins south of the border, it was only used for a test bed for the Orenda engine, and when that project was finished, the aircraft was sent back to the USA, and I read just recently it was scrapped shortly afterwards......

Jeff

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Martin.... don't be embarrassed, we only had the ONE B 47, and it was 'borrowed' from our cousins south of the border, it was only used for a test bed for the Orenda engine, and when that project was finished, the aircraft was sent back to the USA, and I read just recently it was scrapped shortly afterwards......

Jeff

The Iroquois engine ended up warping and twisting the B-47s fuselage so badly that the aircraft was deemed a total loss and was stricken from the inventory. 

The Iroquous engine was powerful enough where the crew would idle the other 6 and cruise around on just the Iroquous. 

My Dad was RCAF and he told me how the RCAF had several B-47s at Downsview in the mid 50s being evaluated for potential service. They decided to go with missiles instead which was also a reason the Arrow was dumped. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

The Iroquois engine ended up warping and twisting the B-47s fuselage so badly that the aircraft was deemed a total loss and was stricken from the inventory. 

The Iroquous engine was powerful enough where the crew would idle the other 6 and cruise around on just the Iroquous. 

My Dad was RCAF and he told me how the RCAF had several B-47s at Downsview in the mid 50s being evaluated for potential service. They decided to go with missiles instead which was also a reason the Arrow was dumped. 

Thanks for the clarification, yeah we got the Bomarc .......... that is most interesting Ernie, from all that I have read 'officially' such as that is, we only had 1 on strength, but we all know how much bovine excrement flows in this world, always good to have a guy with the boots on the ground to give us the correct gen.... had not heard about the twisting air frame, that makes more than perfect sense. I always kind of thought it was a rather silly place to mount a powerful engine for testing, I would have thought they may have removed a set of engines off the wing and given it a go.... BUT I'm no engineer( obviously) , yeah sad day when we lost the Arrow.... still controversial today, what a legacy.......... imagine how things would be different today eh?  Thanks for the correct info Ernie..

Jeff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...