The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hey Guys,

More modeling madness.  I have built and installed the duel compressors for the Braking System.  These little items were not so hard to build, I just had to decide how to build them.  Everything worked out just fine for this part of the build.

Building and installing the Brake Fluid Reservoirs ..........

ckFyH7.jpg

Cx2HDF.jpg

lWuQOq.jpg

mIfwiD.jpg

nmqH5R.jpg

idPU67.jpg

xz7sij.jpg

The next inboard item is the Steering Linkage.

I'll be back soon................

• Like 4

A beautifully ugly beast you chose as a subject here ;), Rich. Love your scratching abilities and the way you find solutions constructionwise. 

Nice pics Martin, this beast is built for everything except commuting in big cities :rofl:

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

• RichO changed the title to An Ugly Frog Prince
15 minutes ago, RichO said:

Thanks Doc, and Bomber, I retitled the thread for you guys!

How fitting for that Behemoth. I can't get the brain-movie out of my head, driving that frog through the Berlin rush hour, looking for a place to park.

Don't kiss your frog, who cares About princes annyway :rofl:.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

HEY GUYS,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

It's been a while since I've last posted.  I thought I was going to start the Steering linkage, but not quite.  Things sort of got away from me as far as the order of items installed, is concerned. 

When I started installing items inside the frame, I neglected to observe the tolerances for future items.  When I began the looking at the steering items, I realized that I needed to install the Drive Line items before the steering items.  

Then, upon further observation, I had a really bad feeling.  The Drive Line needed to be installed before I installed the Air Bottles and Pumps.  

Hrkzas.jpg

In the photo above, you can see how the ends of the Drive Train ( the two round end caps with all the bolts, on either side) are next to the frame, outside of the Steering linkage.  If I install the Steering Linkage first, I'll never get the drive components installed.

oYwHXq.jpg

In the photo above you can see how the drive shafts are installed between the frame and steering and air bottles.  I should have installed the Drive Lines before anything else.

So now, it's off to build the Drive Lines before the Steering Linkage.

The parts.....

x3j4Y8.jpg

nMxVOM.jpg

6iwFSY.jpg

XRoIKB.jpg

In this photo you can see where the trans axles are located along the rail...

npB6rN.jpg

This is where I get into real trouble.  I have to get this axle into this place, between all the junk already installed.  I may have to remove some items to get to the mounting location...

PMYT4P.jpg

pLwkF1.jpg

This is where I'm at today.  I have my eight axles built and ready for install.  I have a dozen "U" joints to build ( the first part with the four holes in the corners) and eight drive shafts with their respective hardware. All need installing before I get to the steering.  Will this madness never end?

I'll be back............

• Like 3

I couldn't do what you are doing in a 1000 years, what a feat of engineering...... this is fabulous, and as a truck driver for almost 40 years, you have nailed the frame and air tanks, and the plumbing..... this is really cool......

Jeff

• Like 3

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

Hey All,

I left off with having to install the Drive Axles.  This was not fun, but in the end (ouch) everything worked out satisfactorily.  All these axles are so far to the bottom of this build, this will be last time you see these.

Building the "U"-joints was a tedious process of cutting the same thing over and over.  In process......

HgBcsx.jpg

In this photo you can see that both ends are u-jointed...

jwdymM.jpg

Fresh back from the paint shop...

pCAphf.jpg

A close up of one of these twelve u-joints....

hxv1Kc.jpg

I knew that I had to remove a few items to get this central axle into place.  I also had a few tubes that sort of volunteered to go along.  Once I got the space cleared out, I still had a time getting this into place.  An air bottle and brake pump later............

fNaAC5.jpg

While I had everything striped out of the middle of the frame, some wise guys at the shop replaced my green air bottle with an orange one.  I also have some paint repair work to do on the replaced lines.  Everything seems to fit tho.  Below is looking down at the central driver side axle............

CpeyL8.jpg

this is the same axle on the opposite side..........

JXIbUy.jpg

I still have twelve more u-joints to build for the drive shaft ends, with two gear boxes in the middle.  I'll be back.  Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guy's,  Just a quick report before I start building the Gear Box/Transfer Case's.

I have the Drive Shafts installed and I'm ready to move on with rest of the Drive Line.  I made a little compromise with the shafts, in that I bored out a larger tube to insert a rod so I could adjust the install length of the shafts.  The rod is somewhat longer than the original. but everything works ok.

I didn't get as many photos as I could have, so just these few.

This is the Left Front Drive Shaft...

TbC788.jpg

I managed to get everything squeezed in...

iEjLHY.jpg

fV0ZdS.jpg

I'll be back with the Transfer case's next..........Thanks All

• Like 2

Hey Everyone,

The building of the Transfer Cases went smoothly, and installing them had a bit more space to work with.  I had a few small parts to deal with so this all just took some time to do.

This is where I started...

3UDJuq.jpg

You can see that I got busy and have applied a few items since the last photo.......

ksbPpR.jpg

more various items added.....

PXl57M.jpg

Some sort of linkage here. I don't know what it dose, but it looks cool....

oKknZM.jpg

General Romi.  Someone has to do it after all.  We were going to name him Romeo, but we took him to the veterinarian to get modified.  Now there's no Romeo happening.  So it's just Romi.

H4WCHR.jpg

All painted up and ready for install...

0hbRTi.jpg

The install went fine, I had plenty of room to work with and mostly it slipped into place.  Getting the u-joints to line up was fun, but not to bad.

1FKvqY.jpg

The photo above was a shocker for me.  When I looked at the photo I just snapped, I saw I had installed these at the wrong end.  The Transfer Cases needed to be installed at the other end!  So I pried these out and reinstalled to the correct location....

You can see I pried these off just before everything set solid.  Cool looking paint affect at the prior location.

fedDp0.jpg

This top down shot shows how the Drive Lines are finally installed.  I still have two more Drive Shafts to build that attach to the Transmission ends and to the Transfer Case's.  I'll build those when I get to building the engine and transmission.

gqD0Eo.jpg

Some details......

dZ91oX.jpg

Now that I have the Drive Line construction finished, I can start building the Steering Linkage, again.

Be back later..............

• Like 4

Always a shame to get the old felines 'modified' but it saves a lot of grief in the long run. 

Our old cat had to be put down a wee while back at 19 years old and we miss her terribly but with 2 Jack Russells it's not fair to get another cat at the moment. 

Great work on the drive line. It is getting a bit crowded in there though!

• Like 2