The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Thanks as always, for checking in you guys....,

Hey All.......

This week was a bit slower for working on this project.  I had a wild impulse about building a kit OOB just to do something a bit different.   But I did manage to get the cab interior built, and start on the cab details.

One of the things I had to do was to perform a bit of surgery.  I had secured the cab skeleton, ready for interior/exterior, last posting, but upon trying to get the cab interior into place, I had a really bad binding problem and could not gain access to the cab.  I had to, with scalpel in hand, remove the back bit of the cab skeleton to get the cab interior to seat into the cab skeleton properly.  Once I got it to seat, it was a breeze.

EBUDcY.jpg

Once I removed the back and things opened up, I could start fitting the cab interior.  The cab interior was built from 0.04mm sheet, and is a bit on the flimsy side.  Just strips together, with a door cut for the sides.  The window frame in this shot is from the skeleton, just getting the fittings to match.

185fMn.jpg

I couldn't find the photo before painting, but I colored the interior a Russian military green.  Now I get to wear it all off.

7UzbWO.jpg

YrAljH.jpg

It slips into the skeleton like this.........

aUKcvl.jpg

T9LKYl.jpg

I think I have thing just right. I'll secure the interior to the skeleton and start with the interior details.........

J9gAD8.jpg

I have so many items to cram in here that I'll be busy for a while just building the boxes for the dash board.

I'll be back with all sorts of items, that I have no idea what they are.

Thanks All.........

• Like 8

2 hours ago, RichO said:

Thanks as always, for checking in you guys....,

Hey All.......

This week was a bit slower for working on this project.  I had a wild impulse about building a kit OOB just to do something a bit different.   But I did manage to get the cab interior built, and start on the cab details.

One of the things I had to do was to perform a bit of surgery.  I had secured the cab skeleton, ready for interior/exterior, last posting, but upon trying to get the cab interior into place, I had a really bad binding problem and could not gain access to the cab.  I had to, with scalpel in hand, remove the back bit of the cab skeleton to get the cab interior to seat into the cab skeleton properly.  Once I got it to seat, it was a breeze.

EBUDcY.jpg

Once I removed the back and things opened up, I could start fitting the cab interior.  The cab interior was built from 0.04mm sheet, and is a bit on the flimsy side.  Just strips together, with a door cut for the sides.  The window frame in this shot is from the skeleton, just getting the fittings to match.

185fMn.jpg

I couldn't find the photo before painting, but I colored the interior a Russian military green.  Now I get to wear it all off.

7UzbWO.jpg

YrAljH.jpg

It slips into the skeleton like this.........

aUKcvl.jpg

T9LKYl.jpg

I think I have thing just right. I'll secure the interior to the skeleton and start with the interior details.........

J9gAD8.jpg

I have so many items to cram in here that I'll be busy for a while just building the boxes for the dash board.

I'll be back with all sorts of items, that I have no idea what they are.

Thanks All.........

I‘m totally impressed what you do! Awesome scratchbuilding!

At least you don’t need any kits. Just drawings and Evergreen stuff!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey All,

This has been a fun and creative week of just making stuff up as I worked.  I had references for most of the cabin control boxes but I sort of just made what looked good, but still resemble the real deal.

I started the cabin build with the floor.  I use the standard Evergreen Siding sheet to form the floor mats.

NW5AFr.jpg

Once I had these shaped, I started with the control boxes.  I had to build so many, that I just set each apart like little individual mini kits...

iXxPKA.jpg

The control boxes are just that, boxes.  lots of small styrene boxes.

i5JhAF.jpg

I cut separate faces for some boxes and added items to others.  I was making things up as I was building.  I also had to build and install the other components of the cab.  The seats, floor peddles, steering wheel.........

This is the first control box I secured into place.

3kjuWs.jpg

Then I became busy and built these items, over the next days, and did not take any photos, so you get extra ones now.

All these control boxes and other items are to fit onto this window frame.  Are you kidding me!!!!

4z4ovU.jpg

Well, who knows what will happen next.  All these things actually fit into the cab!

TzTU0f.jpg

Along with the other items.........

3RtOu1.jpg

2kVEoW.jpg

Something to sit on..........

1oIraV.jpg

NAVLdv.jpg

Just more stuff.........

TT9yUD.jpg

KhdTEN.jpg

All the items are now secured to the cab interior and everything is ready to slip into the cab skeleton.  Once I get this installed securely it will be time to start skinning the cab.

More fun and games next posting. Thanks everyone for watching!!!!

• Like 10

3 hours ago, RichO said:

Hey All,

This has been a fun and creative week of just making stuff up as I worked.  I had references for most of the cabin control boxes but I sort of just made what looked good, but still resemble the real deal.

I started the cabin build with the floor.  I use the standard Evergreen Siding sheet to form the floor mats.

NW5AFr.jpg

Once I had these shaped, I started with the control boxes.  I had to build so many, that I just set each apart like little individual mini kits...

iXxPKA.jpg

The control boxes are just that, boxes.  lots of small styrene boxes.

i5JhAF.jpg

I cut separate faces for some boxes and added items to others.  I was making things up as I was building.  I also had to build and install the other components of the cab.  The seats, floor peddles, steering wheel.........

This is the first control box I secured into place.

3kjuWs.jpg

Then I became busy and built these items, over the next days, and did not take any photos, so you get extra ones now.

All these control boxes and other items are to fit onto this window frame.  Are you kidding me!!!!

4z4ovU.jpg

Well, who knows what will happen next.  All these things actually fit into the cab!

TzTU0f.jpg

Along with the other items.........

3RtOu1.jpg

2kVEoW.jpg

Something to sit on..........

1oIraV.jpg

NAVLdv.jpg

Just more stuff.........

TT9yUD.jpg

KhdTEN.jpg

All the items are now secured to the cab interior and everything is ready to slip into the cab skeleton.  Once I get this installed securely it will be time to start skinning the cab.

More fun and games next posting. Thanks everyone for watching!!!!

Are you working in a truck-factory? You should because you are creating an awesome truck!

Your scratchbuilding abilities are stunning and I love the „cockpit“!

Also beautiful painting and wear and tear especially on the seats! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You guys are just great with the comments.  I'm glad everyone is following along.

Hey Guys,

This week was installing the cab into the cab frame.  The actual install was just slipping this into place, but getting everything to squeeze into the cab when putting the roof on was quite a tight fit.

The build for the roof was very simple, and only the interior lamp and the sun visors needed to be built.

All I did for the sun visors was a bit of card, wrapped with .05mm styrene rod.

3Vh6Sw.jpg

This is turned over and secured into place.  Once the fit was tight I sealed this up with the remaining cab skeleton top, so the roof is sealed inside permanent. 

0g4Ezb.jpg

It is such a tight fit in the cab that photos, are what they are.

wl0rwE.jpg

All tightened up and ready for some skin.

dElRFW.jpg

2aVquT.jpg

And it all lives about right here.

60sb5x.jpg

The skinning of the cab looks to be a ridiculous sort of affair.  Wrapping around the cab, much like around the radiator vents.  Just crazier.  

That's it for this week.  I had an art commission so not much done.  This week ahead, I will find out if this all is a really bad idea with the skin wrap.  More photos to come.

Thanks All.....

• Like 7

3 hours ago, RichO said:

You guys are just great with the comments.  I'm glad everyone is following along.

Hey Guys,

This week was installing the cab into the cab frame.  The actual install was just slipping this into place, but getting everything to squeeze into the cab when putting the roof on was quite a tight fit.

The build for the roof was very simple, and only the interior lamp and the sun visors needed to be built.

All I did for the sun visors was a bit of card, wrapped with .05mm styrene rod.

3Vh6Sw.jpg

This is turned over and secured into place.  Once the fit was tight I sealed this up with the remaining cab skeleton top, so the roof is sealed inside permanent. 

0g4Ezb.jpg

It is such a tight fit in the cab that photos, are what they are.

wl0rwE.jpg

All tightened up and ready for some skin.

dElRFW.jpg

2aVquT.jpg

And it all lives about right here.

60sb5x.jpg

The skinning of the cab looks to be a ridiculous sort of affair.  Wrapping around the cab, much like around the radiator vents.  Just crazier.  

That's it for this week.  I had an art commission so not much done.  This week ahead, I will find out if this all is a really bad idea with the skin wrap.  More photos to come.

Thanks All.....

Beautiful, amazing and stunning! I‘m not a truck-fan normally but yours is absolutely a masterpiece!

Can‘t wait to see the progress!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey Altogether,

I spent most of this week cutting out the craziest shapes, and getting stressed about fitting these into place.  I bounced around a bit with the skin.  I also worked on the doors.

The crazy shapes to work with........

HqrvDc.jpg

The doors are doors and not so hard to build.

nZXsC3.jpg

I made the leather stow bags from brown paper grocery bag soaked in water and PVA glue.

I used the rod to hold the shape...

gheG5C.jpg

Then I would go back to work on the cab skin and get thing bent into shape, sort of....  I test fit as I go but I think I got things a bit tight.  More struggles ensuing.

yaS6r3.jpg

Then I would go back to the doors.........

Making the little latches was about the hardest thing to build for the doors.....

vkEhiR.jpg

PU1ut2.jpg

And these live here......

wEZ9Fd.jpg

So that's about it for this week.  I'll cut the windows and detail the outside of the doors and continue to wrap the skin.

I might have something in place next time.  Thanks All.......

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RichO said:

Hey Altogether,

I spent most of this week cutting out the craziest shapes, and getting stressed about fitting these into place.  I bounced around a bit with the skin.  I also worked on the doors.

The crazy shapes to work with........

HqrvDc.jpg

The doors are doors and not so hard to build.

nZXsC3.jpg

I made the leather stow bags from brown paper grocery bag soaked in water and PVA glue.

I used the rod to hold the shape...

gheG5C.jpg

Then I would go back to work on the cab skin and get thing bent into shape, sort of....  I test fit as I go but I think I got things a bit tight.  More struggles ensuing.

yaS6r3.jpg

Then I would go back to the doors.........

Making the little latches was about the hardest thing to build for the doors.....

vkEhiR.jpg

PU1ut2.jpg

And these live here......

wEZ9Fd.jpg

So that's about it for this week.  I'll cut the windows and detail the outside of the doors and continue to wrap the skin.

I might have something in place next time.  Thanks All.......

News from the truck factory! 
That‘s awesome, stunning and gorgeous! You are THE scratchbuilder! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

Spring has sprung and modeling has slowed somewhat.  I've been busy working on a Dio and doing yard work.

I have managed to skin the top and back of the cab.  I started with an easy piece to get into shape.  Once I had this portion bent into place it was off to the paint shop.

A little more sanding ......

erCJWb.jpg

Nice clean paint.....

UaqtG0.jpg

This lives here....

AoQ1UI.jpg

ISAZ08.jpg

2QYo3M.jpg

The color's coming around...

I'll be back with more skin next time.  Thanks All.

•  
  • Like 9

Amazing. Just to remind me - and I guess all others - about the material.

Are you using paper/cardbord as the main mdedium, or have you transferred the paper parts to plastic card ?

Whichever, your work is gobsmacking.

Hubert

• Like 3

Hey guys, Hubert,

The living Russian truck, has a frame and drivetrain made from heavy metal, and the skin is fiberglass.  I am attempting to replicate this by making the frame and drivetrain from heavy styrene, and I'm making the skin out of paper, to replicate the fiberglass.

I cut the paper to shape and then superglue the paper into it's final configuration. ( Superglue turns the paper to cement.) Once that is done, I can sand, primer, paint.........whatever. The paper is indestructible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3