The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Mig-9 LEM

3 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

What do you mean, once I open it?

20180818_121535.jpg

I will send Airfixer (Eric) on you, in order to improve your attitude and encourage your moral with fresh dose of positive reinforcement of putty and superglued fingertips . :)

Cure-Contageous-Workplace-negativity-wth

• Like 1

Lower wing needs also some TLC, but the basic pattern is on. Just so you guys understand , this was done in July, today I am playing with the tail transitions .

Message_1530811138067.jpg

Message_1530814498804.jpg

Edit: the cutouts for the gear channels didn't match and were altered with the help of Tamiya resin

• Like 2

My F-5 will be just fine, once I finish my OV-10 and Birdcage. Mystery WIP coming to LSM soon. I have to wire up Bronco wheel bays, and it is hard to get motivated to do that after watching half of your county  and friends houses go up in flames. so WIP will be slow going.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

I really must have a go at a resin kit sometime! This looks fun! And good work too 

Thank You, it has been fun so far, fun with a sadomasochistic undertone :)

1 minute ago, smitty44 said:

My F-5 will be just fine, once I finish my OV-10 and Birdcage. Mystery WIP coming to LSM soon. I have to wire up Bronco wheel bays, and it is hard to get motivated to do that after watching half of your county  and friends houses go up in flames. so WIP will be slow going.

I hear you John, BC is in flames as we speak and Calgary is covered in cloud of smoke, I was talking to William today and he's ok , but flames are everywhere, huge fires are raging across British Columbia.

Here is some aftermarket to get some extra blink .

Message_1531423841476.jpg

Message_1531425090842.jpg

Message_1531496607151.jpg

• Like 2

Thank You Padre, thank You Ernie.

Yes, during the development of the Mig-9 become apparent that the regular steel sheeting behind the engines will not provide sufficient protection from the heat generated by the jet flow. Therefore designers brought a new solution, where two layers of steel plating were sandwiched together with a small gap in between. Into this gap was air driven through the set of Ram air intakes located on the sides of the fuselage under the trailing edge of the wing. The cold air was directed into the lover tail section and released via a set of exhaust vents similar to the Bf-109G+ cowling vents.

• here you can see the small gap, also the presence of the exit vents is partially visible .....partially. I will address this detail later

w_mig9_monino_26.jpg

You got yourself into quite some Project here, Martin :D. I love the not often replicated subject and I stay connected through all your fun and troubles while building the MIG. There is a lot to learn about resin handling, patience and comittment.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Past few months were somewhat challenging and I didn't find much time to focus on Mug, yet today I decided to rework the magazine access panel ahead of windshield. 

I wasn't exactly sure how to tackle this. To scribe would be risky, due the bubbly nature of resin, so I cut one out of sheet of plastic and glued it on. Not perfect, but better than before...I hope. :)

Next on order are guns and inner details and in the meanwhile riveting of the tail section.

UVQL9853.thumb.jpg.01caa7fe302967e180c439c477d3a292.jpgRMNK2112.thumb.jpg.de62311ff3226f6fef8bd2e4f0ca56f1.jpgIMG_0206.thumb.jpg.f3d853555a3b3f14b9c9830d774c2292.jpg7242.thumb.jpg.4c5a15e9b667c65b051b22e0b8d04857.jpg

• Like 5

Stunning work, Martin! 

The only reason I can see for me not noticing this was that I must not have been coming to the site while you were actively working on it.  Yep....just checked my profile...  Oct 25.

Very impressive!

Gaz

• Like 2

Gentleman , you are way too kind. Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

You are absolutely right Phil, this is slightly masochistic adventure, frankly if it wasn't for that rivet disaster on the surface, this would be quite easy build.

Here is some paint in action.

IMG_0208.thumb.jpg.ccc592bf6f0df6de54895d7ad79e5b6b.jpgIMG_0207.thumb.jpg.fbb1671d0d6812b9d1e0960031af7f81.jpg

• Like 2