The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/24 Airfix Scale Mosquito build

6 hours ago, Drifter said:

Thanks for this Pete, I am starting mine in Jan. 

I understand that Paragon made a number of parts to fix the defects in the Airfix kits but then went out of business. Though I couldn't find any, there was a guy in the thread selling some and they might come up on ebay so it would be worth keeping an eye out:

Also, these guys are making a Gee set and it might be ready when you start the build (they said January)

https://www.aviaeology.com/etchsentials-photo-etched.html

Conversions - Alley Cat, various night fighter noses
Paragon - main wheel doors
S.A.C. - Metal landing gear
RB - Radiator screens, intake grills and Sutton harnesses
Master Crafters - Intake grills and fasteners
Master Models - 20mm and .303 barrels
Montex - canopy mask 
Montex - Markings mask
Brassin - Resin wheels
Airscale - Cockpit and radio decals

• Like 2

Uhm, Eduard just launched 1/24 PE for this. Oh, and I really enjoyed your video. 

Description:
de Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI interior 1/24 (designed to be used with Airfix kits) NOVEMBER RELEASE. EXPECTED TO ARRIVE LATE OCTOBER!!!
Manufacturer:
Eduard
Code Number:
ED23027
Scale:
1:24
Item type:
Aircraft detailing sets (etched)
Price:
US $28.28

Description:
de Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI seatbelts STEEL 1/24 (designed to be used with Airfix kits) NOVEMBER RELEASE. EXPECTED TO ARRIVE LATE OCTOBER!!!
Manufacturer:
Eduard
Code Number:
ED23028
Scale:
Item type:
Price:
US $14.24

de Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI dashboard 1/24 (designed to be used with Airfix kits) NOVEMBER RELEASE. EXPECTED TO ARRIVE LATE OCTOBER!!!
Manufacturer:
Eduard
Code Number:
ED23029
Scale:
Item type:
Price:
US $17.53

de Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI radiators 1/24 (designed to be used with Airfix kits) NOVEMBER RELEASE. EXPECTED TO ARRIVE LATE OCTOBER!!!
Manufacturer:
Eduard
Code Number:
ED23030
Scale:
Item type:
Price:
US $16.43 

de Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI 1/24 (designed to be used with Airfix kits) NOVEMBER RELEASE. EXPECTED TO ARRIVE LATE OCTOBER!!!
Manufacturer:
Eduard
Code Number:
EDLX003
Scale:
Item type:
Aircraft paint masks (self adhesive)
Price:
US $10.63

de Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI TFace 1/24 (designed to be used with Airfix kits) NOVEMBER RELEASE. EXPECTED TO ARRIVE LATE OCTOBER!!!

Manufacturer:

Eduard

Code Number:

EDLX004

Scale:

Item type:

Aircraft paint masks (self adhesive)

Price:

US $14.24

• Like 1

That’s disappointing...none of those seem to cover the actual visible defects of the model. Like I said in the video, it’s a waste of time to detail the invisible cockipt items when so much of the large exterior details are missing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Drifter said:

It's a start, more being released end November. 

I sent them an email. It's a waste of time and money to add details where none are needed and to not add details where they are most visible:

Good morning,

I just completed an Airfix 1/24 scale Mosquito and was informed on the LSM forum that you are coming out with some aftermarket accessories. I looked at the list and the  listed items are not addressing the large and visible defects in that model.

There is little to no value adding cockpit detail to this model as it is mostly not visible when completed.

The photo etched radiators are already available from RB

The seatbelts are already available from RB

Paint masks are already available for this model.

The really bad visible defects in this kit are:

1. Most important are the terrible ammo chutes on the prominent .303 machine guns on the nose of the model. This is the worst and most visible feature on this model.
2. Lack of the throttle/mixture control rods that are prominent at the back of the engine bay
3. No detail on any gear doors or bomb bay doors.
4. Extensive missing engine detail
5. Terrible intake scoop screens/heaters
6. Poorly detailed bombs
7. Wrong radios for every version Airfix modeled (prominent on the rear cockpit deck) including the common GEE radios
8. Poor wheels and tires (though there are good aftermarket resin ones available)

• Like 2

IIRC these were available a few years ago. Cant remember from whom now. 

Scratch that , I'm thinking of the B-17. With Eduard all of  sudden climbing on this band wagon, maybe they know something we dont. 

Edit again, Paragon did make them after all:

http://www.relishmodels.co.uk/paragon-designs-1-24-mosquito-0-303-ammo-chutes.html

PAR24008.jpg

• Like 1

Description:
de Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI undercarriage (designed to be used with Airfix kits) DECEMBER RELEASE. EXPECTED TO ARRIVE LATE NOVEMBER!!!
Manufacturer:
Eduard
Code Number:
ED23031
Scale:
Item type:
Price:
£29.16 (Put this on Backorder and save 10%!)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Drifter said:

IIRC these were available a few years ago. Cant remember from whom now. 

Scratch that , I'm thinking of the B-17. With Eduard all of  sudden climbing on this band wagon, maybe they know something we dont. 

Edit again, Paragon did make them after all:

http://www.relishmodels.co.uk/paragon-designs-1-24-mosquito-0-303-ammo-chutes.html

PAR24008.jpg

Yeah, they made several good bits. Hopefully the Edouard bits include these.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

As an update, this is the model that won the contest. Though you can't see it in the photo, the wheels are in line with the landing gear so they have huge negative camber like an Me109. Completely out of scale.

The top 3 of this class were so artless and simple that it makes it clear that the priorities of IPMS have nothing to do with a creative process to build a scale replica of an actual plane but simply judge how well the most simple model can be glued together.

ce2e875ae88ec1f6704fe25f2a6cebe7.jpg

• Like 1

Peter F

Point well taken: the emphasis in IPSM contests for first round cuts is based on basic building skills: seams, sanding marks, glues marks, decal silvering, decaling, gaps, and hetting all the parts on square and correctly. These are the basics of building any model and regardless of how much extra work, detailing and corrections are done, if the model has basic building mistakes, it doesn't make the first round cut. 

From what you said, the rules weren’t followed and that shouldn’t be. IPMS has published rules and guidelines for both judges and contestents, so everyone understands the procedure and the playing field. If it isn’t followed then there is no standard and the competition becomes a ‘Like and Dislike’ contest based on personal opinion and not a standard.

Peter

Having read many more threads on it on different forums, I see the rationale but it is a race to the bottom then. It seems that basic construction is essentially everything. Finish, details, weathering and scale accuracy are minimally important and level of difficulty not at all. I’m sure the IPMS contests i entered (and won) in the 80’s were not that way. In ScaleMasters RC, not only did the plane have to be 100% scale but the burden was on the contestant to prove it was with documentation. Then mechanical systems had to work accurately (where they were judgeaboe...such as flaps and landing gear) and then you had to fly the whole thing as accurately and “scale” as possible. To go back and find IPMS is all about seams and wheel alignment really destroys any desire I would ever have to participate.

I contend that building and trying to align the (40 piece) landing gear on that Mosquito was more difficult than the entire construction of that Spit. If the reward is only for “play it as safe and conservative as possible because a crooked wheel is the ultimate main deciding factor” then what on earth is the point? +4 for difficulty, -2 for alignment.

That Spit is badly inaccurate in several ways (details of the paint, ridiculously inaccurate weathering, wheel angles, silly finish on the clear position light covers etc.). My Mosquito is a vastly better model because it has high levels of technical and historical accuracy. But as I’ve read, IPMS basically gave up on historical accuracy so that means they are JUST “model” KITS that are judged on how they are assembled and not actually models.

Model:

synonyms:

Replica, copy, representation, imitation, duplication, duplicate, reproduction, fascimile

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, PeteF said:

Drew the plane codes and sent to a friend who might be able to cut these as masks. Got the Montex masks for the rest. This plane was in 487 New Zealand squadron, served in the Amiens raid with a pilot with my last name and both he and this plane survived the war. The pilot went on to do gunnery training in Spitfires and returned to New Zealand to his postmaster job and the plane was struck off charge in 1945 after serving 487 squadron RNZAF, then 464 squadron RAAF and back to 487 RNZAF before being SOC 12/20/45.

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 8.53.02 PM.png

Bob was a very good friend of mine and I visited him many times over the years (he lived about 10mins from my house at that time).  Such a lovely humble guy, I am sure he would have been honored to know you built his plane.  Reading this build....again!  Has me digging my one off the Shelf of Doom.  Lovely work and very inspiring!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 4

I am starting this beast next weekend. This thread will be my reference, There is no way I can emulate the skills shown here, but I will do my best. The Airfix Mozzie is not known as a mojo killer without reason. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Drifter said:

I am starting this beast next weekend. This thread will be my reference, There is no way I can emulate the skills shown here, but I will do my best. The Airfix Mozzie is not known as a mojo killer without reason. 

Me too mate!  It's killed my mojo a couple of times too.  I think I am ready to have another stab!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi Peter, I have been following your 1/24 Airfix Mosquito. All I can say it is so real looking, You are my Mentor as I build my Mossie same Kit as yours. Anyway I am starting my Merlins right now. I am using all your tips and know how in my Build. Your Merlins are so Real looking, hopefuly my will be up to par like yours. My question to you is, On the G sprue the one with  Engine parts. Part G-18 & G-27. For the life of me I can not find in the Instructions where they go. Your Pictures of your Merlins do not show them at all are

they Extra parts not needed? Please confirm. Please let me know, your are a Exceptional Builder and your tips and knowledge on weathering are incredible.

thanks Gary

• 1 year later...

You mention Rivets on the Mosquito.  There were no rivets on the Mosquito.  Look at photos carefully and you will not see any, or panel lines.  The mossy was wooden, two thin sheets of ply with grain set at 90 dgrees with a thick sheet of balsa in between.  These were set in place against the bulkheads and faired in place.  This gave the mossy a smooth surface on the fuselage, wings, tailplane, nacelles etc.

• Like 1