The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/24 Airfix Scale Mosquito build

Spent all day trying to create a workable rivet solution...then saw this picture of a Tamiya Mosquito and gave up. Without a useable way to do rows of rivets at the same time there’s no way in my skill set :(

2E0EFF13-8332-4F33-8CD8-E3E0202D8E91.jpeg

• Like 4

One of the keys was using a clump of stickem to support the compound curved plastic. This goes pretty fast actually...marked the rivet spacing on the tape. A side benefit is the line of punched rivets creates an easy stressed skin look! Pretty happy with this.

0912181219.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Here is a pic of the Nacelle we have for our Mosquito that is under restoration in Alberta, Canada, if it is of any help....

Jeff

unspecified20.jpg

Thanks Jeff, that is helpful I found another photo which might also be of your Mossie. All references are helpful as there’s a shortage of detailed 3-views with rivets.

34BE2DB5-2BAC-4FBC-AFEB-810E8D921EA9.jpeg

• Like 1

Peter

Nice going with the rivet work - sure looks good.

I know it's a bit to late, but take a look at the various Rosie the Riveters. I have about 6 different ones now and they are excellent. They also carry riveters that make double and triple sets of rows.

Keep 'em comin

Peter ;)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Peter

Nice going with the rivet work - sure looks good.

I know it's a bit to late, but take a look at the various Rosie the Riveters. I have about 6 different ones now and they are excellent. They also carry riveters that make double and triple sets of rows.

Keep 'em comin

Peter ;)

I tried...the largest one they make is 1mm and it was about half the size I needed and barely made a dent in the plastic. From a couple of days of searching the internet, the rivet tools/decals etc end at 1/32 scale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Whoa, nice work on the engine, makes me want to start my Tamiya one. Impressive use of differnt techniques, terrific.

Cheers Rob

I've spent a lot of time looking at the Tamiya kit for reference...and the aftermarket engine kits. That is a really beautiful model. I'm finding the Airfix one is a good blank canvas...it has decent detail in some areas and NO detail in others...which is fine as long as you want to wrestle with scratch-building all the detail. The Tamiya kit has all the detail so looks like an enjoyable model build without having to do all the extra work.

• Like 4