The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hasegawa F4B-4 UPDATE: 9/22/18: UNDERWAY

• Administrators

Peter, this will be epic in every way. Plus, with your grand style, it’ll be an absolute stunner. 

It’s good to have the whole gang here now!  Now we can concentrate on building while being friends and chatting, all while not needing to worry about getting smashed down.

Build on, my friend. I’ve pulled up a chair.. OK, I bookmarked it.. same difference.

• Like 2

Ernie

Couldn’t agree more and now that the party has began, it’s finally bench time again.

Slow progress as I listened to Harv and ordered all the major AM around. The new  resin engine is finally here and the cockpit set should be here this week. Decals and rib tape on order.

I have been refining the lower wings and chomping at the bit. I’ll post an update by the end of the week as the my progress regardless of how little

Peter

• Like 2

:popcorn:  Pulling up a seat Peter,can hardly wait to see your talent on this build...Built one about a year back,it really is a great kit with some unique surface detail that impressed me...Oh,don't forget the small window forward and to the right of the windscreen lol. 

My humble attempt.

DSCF7641_zps4ohhzzqz.jpg

• Like 4

If you need some inspiration, Peter, check Tomasz Hajier build thread over at LSP ... especially with the kit in your hands. His workmanship is just unbelievable ....:respect:

And William knows what I think of his own build. :151_41_44_712.09472830013627761  :) 

Hubert

• Like 5

UPDATE: 9/22/18: FINALLY UNDERWAY

Finally I'm underway. While the NeOmega 550 HP Pratt & Whitney R-1340-16 engine arrived at last, I'm still waiting on the Lone Star resin interior to be delivered. In the meantime, first order of business was to assemble a good amount of detail photographs, which I downloaded, printed out and organized in book of clear plastic pages as my main reference plus a few LSP builds that will serve as all my reference. I first built the little Boeing way back when my former club hosted the 1981 IPMS NATS in NYC and was fortunate enough to win first place: Large Scale Prop Aircraft. Back then detailing and accuracy where a long cry from today, so not much was done to the kit and except for seatbelts with I think Waldron PE buckles and latches and flying wires: that was the extent of AM! The years have passed, I have no idea what happened to the model and kit was state of the art at the time. Flip the calendar 37 years forward and another little Boeing is back on the bench (my bench back then was the dining room table).

While still waiting for the balance of the AM to arrive, I started on the lower wings. Time has taken it's toll but the Little Boeing is still beautifully molded; some flash here and there but the detail and fidelity of the exterior moldings looks good after all these years.

First up was to drill out the wing tip hand holds and of course I did it the hard way – opening them up individually on all four wing panels, then assembling the wings and of course, going back to clean up the fit. Lots of sanding with tiny folded stripped of sandpaper but done and they look pretty good.

The wings at the rear glue up at approximately where the rear spar would be and not at the trailing edge. Fit was only so-so, requiring a lot of sanding and filling to remove and smooth out the seams. All the sink marks were filled in, sanded out and then polished.

Each wing has four inspection covers that are not exactly in the right place and matter of fact, the spacing of the ribs is also a bit off; neither of which I was going to deal with. While the inspection cover had some detail, they were concave on the surface and needed to be flattened out. From years of molding, the out side edges of the inspections panels had some nasty flash – more like excess plastic seeping out of the mold a bit. Loads of sanding and some polishing were just what the doc ordered. After what normally is a few sessions of work at the bench, turned into a bit of extra work, loads of fun and the lower wings are done.

I've ordered HGW rib tapes, as they are quite prominent in the photos and when they arrive, I'll back track and add them for a bit more detail. Originally I was going to go with PE rib tape with stitching but I didn't have complete faith that they would permanently stay in place especially if handled by the judges.

Next up: The NeOemega P&W, since I'm still waiting for the Lone Star cockpit set.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

the lower wing with the hand holds drilled out and cleaned up.

E9k9Nc.jpg

The lower wing cleaned up and done

UMJnfm.jpg

The Beautiful Neomega P&W Radial

37dAk5.jpg

Hasegawa's P&W - Hot stuff back in the day

sbGfKj.jpg

• Like 7

Go, Peter, go !

(As a side comment, and based on my past experience with LSM, and also on the very small opening of the cockpit, I’d go for scratchbuilding the most prominent cockpit details, as William suggested)

(Says the man who spent ages researching - to no avail -, then imagining a plausible cockpit, then detailing it, for a Nieuport Sesquiplan with a 13 mm dia cockpit opening :popo:)

Hubert

• Like 3