The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HK B-25J -double the fun

Onto Betty's Dream now. The light hurdle here was that I wasn't able to install both ammo belts for the tail gunner before closing up the fuselage. So the second one had to be done first. 

IMG_20181226_220529-L.jpg

It was only three pieces but trying to align them all at the same time wasn't going to be fun.

IMG_20181226_220741-L.jpg

After much finagling and a bit of frustration, everything got to where it needed to be.

IMG_20181226_222944-L.jpg

IMG_20181228_164622-L.jpg

Probably never to be seen again...

IMG_20181228_164650-L.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys! You're right, I'll know it's there and the work I put into it. 

So after messing around with the assembled nose for French Kiss, I noticed I was having issues getting the gun barrels to align. The problem was I couldn't tell what was giving me issues as I'd sealed it all up already. Not to mention packed it full of pennies. Rather than repeating this issue, I decided to test fit the barrels to the partial nose for Betty's Dream and see what ,if any issues there are. It turns out the .50 Cal gun bodies sit slightly high. So rather than try to tweak each one and make them all sit level, I installed a couple pieces of styrene instead. 

IMG_20190116_225718-L.jpg

By passing the gun barrels through their openings, I was able to mark the end points on the styrene and drill holes accordingly.

With that done, I finally installed the nose onto the fuselage. I forgot to take some pics at that point as I was finally able to start painting. So here it is with a first coat olive drab on 

IMG_20190116_234959-L.jpg

• Like 6

On 1/17/2019 at 8:14 PM, harv said:

That's what I did on my P38.......harv :popcorn:

That was a nice P-38 Harv. I just have to figure out what to do with French Kiss since the nose is all closed up. 

On 1/17/2019 at 9:08 PM, Martinnfb said:

Nice problem solving Carl. She's heading for the finish rather fast :thumbsup2:

Thanks Martin! I don't think it's that fast but definitely moving in the right direction.

On 1/20/2019 at 3:54 PM, Ryan said:

Like that final shot Blr, Olive looks the part.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan. It's Gunze Olive Drab.

• Like 1

Speaking of French Kiss, I installed the gun nose onto the fuselage. 

IMG_20190121_230232-L.jpg

There was some seam filling so I took car of that tonight. Tomorrow hopefully I'll get to the re-scribing of panel lines and rivets. 

In the meantime, I painted the Neutral Grey onto Betty's Dream.

IMG_20190121_230334-L.jpg

Side by side:

IMG_20190121_230401-L.jpg

• Like 2

Ryan, Gunze sprays very similarly to Tamiya. This is especially true if you're using their lacquer thinner for airbrushing. 

The big difference is the light satin finish Gunze has compared to Tamiya which usually has a dead flat finish. 

Carl

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 10:35 AM, Ryan said:

Ugh don't get me started on flat/ matt coats....I have trouble more often than not with frosting.

Do you have similar problems?

Occasionally I get a bit of frosting if I'm spraying a flat clear so I usually stick to a satin finish. Try adding a drop or two of gloss to your flat and that might help with the frosting issue. 

• Like 1

I'm back at it since the deadline is coming up. I'm not sure I'll make it but if I don't try, I won't know. 

I finally finished off the fuselage for French Kiss and got it ready for a black base coat. 

IMG_20190208_220845-L.jpg

I used Tamiya X1 for this. After an initial light coat, I noticed a couple spots needed some quick sanding so I did that and then sprayed a full coat of paint. 

IMG_20190208_225443-L.jpg

Now to let that dry for a bit. 

Carl

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:07 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

Occasionally I get a bit of frosting if I'm spraying a flat clear so I usually stick to a satin finish. Try adding a drop or two of gloss to your flat and that might help with the frosting issue. 

Thank for the tip, what products are you using for flats and clears?

Ryan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 10:06 AM, Ryan said:

Thank for the tip, what products are you using for flats and clears?

Ryan

For clear coats, I use Tamiya. Usually their semigloss clear for a finish coat. I have their flat clear which looks a bit milky in the bottle but rarely use it. It does dry clear and almost dead flat though. 

I use their lacquer thinner when airbrushing but the regular X20A thinner works too. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, finally an update. 

I painted the fuselage but had a hard time getting decent coverage with the Alcad. So I gave up on using it and switched to Mr Metal Color that I had. That worked out much better. 

IMG_20190318_091546-L.jpg

The wings need a bit of seam filling so they're back on the bench and hopefully that won't too painful.

Carl

• Like 1