The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

I'm a bad boy

harv

On 9/14/2018 at 11:22 PM, smitty44 said:

Funny that the members over there can't even have an open, healthy conversation about the exodus of known LSP criminals without fear of retribution or thread being deleted. Sad

I admit that I spend most of my time over on LSP as a member there. There are a number of reasons for this - first and foremost, the group of modelers are a talented, friendly and helpful bunch. That being said, I frequently check in on all of the other usual suspects - ARC, HS and of course, LSM. Even before all the LSP folks made the move, the quality of the work on display here has always been top notch and the members and moderators seemed like a friendly group as well.

Now, as a semi-regular visitor to this site, I have seen the recent stream of introduction threads invariably become peppered with shots against "TOS." The interesting thing is that these jabs always seem to come from the group that have made the exodus and who, by all accounts, are happy to be out and have moved on to greener pastures. So why the need to keep ripping on LSP and the moderators who bust their butts keeping LSP going, the same way James, Jeroen and the group here at LSM do? Kevin and the rest of the LSP moderators do a thankless job that allows the rest of us to enjoy the site for what it is - a place for people who enjoy gluing pieces of plastic together to come together, maybe learn a thing or two, and then move on with the rest of our lives. While I don't necessarily agree with the language Kev used to respond to Harv's post here, I can understand where it came from. I'm sure he counted each and every one of the former members friends (in the digital sense at least) until all this went down and now here some of you are, ripping on a guy most of you have probably never met! It would appear that Harv could have chosen the quiet way out but decided to rile up the waters on the way out of the door. Not sure why that was necessary, as others here have pointed out, but such is life - water under the bridge.

Now, I have resisted commenting on all of this up until now but I feel that smitty44’s post referenced above deserves a response.  Someone earlier on this thread accused a certain anonymous presence from Victoria Au of not having anything better to do than monitor the thread here. It would appear from smitty44’s comment and the handful of responses it garnered that he and the people who happily left LSP are doing the exact same thing, waiting and wondering why a conversation has not popped up about why everyone left. Smitty44 seems to think that the only reason for this is a fear of retribution from the mods. I for one am afraid of no such thing. Perhaps an alternate explanation for the lack of a response is that it has no appreciable effect on the reasons I and others choose to frequent the site. My guess is that the people left over at LSP have seen a group of former members chose to move on and they are chosing to do the exact same thing - move on. What good does it do to start a thread about the reasons people chose to make the move? Their reasons are their own. It has nothing to do with a fear of retribution or censorship as Smitty claims. Kevin and the other guys have done an exemplary job keeping the content on the site on point and why people kept trying to challenge them is beyond me. After all, as I mentioned earlier, we are here discussing the construction of plastic models...not that important in the grand scheme of things and certainly not something to make enemies over.  

Anyway, I'm happy to see that people seem to have found a new home here. I for one am equally happy to return to my first "home" but I'm sure I'll be checking in here now and then to see what people are working on. I'll just make sure to focus on the WIP section and stay away from these conversations! 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

Welcome, your opinion is appreciated! I disagree, but thanks!

bg5.gif

A somewhat predictable response but there are no haters here, unless you are referring to yourself. I was just trying to provide some perspective from someone on the other side of this supposed "divide."  

So, in the spirit of "open, healthy conversation" why don't you provide an explanation for your disagreement rather than throwing up a GIF? I didn't think there was much about my post that was controversial.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, plasticdoc said:

A somewhat predictable response but there are no haters here, unless you are referring to yourself. I was just trying to provide some perspective from someone on the other side of this supposed "divide."  

So, in the spirit of "open, healthy conversation" why don't you provide an explanation for your disagreement rather than throwing up a GIF? I didn't think there was much about my post that was controversial.

Sir, I have no desire to debate anything  as I am sure it will become an argument. I am entitled to disagree with you, as you are with me, without having to try and prove it. I have reasons to think the way I do, and ask that you respect that. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

X2!  plasticdoc, a wholehearted welcome to LSM.

This issue to me at least, was dead and buried up until 15 minutes ago, so here's my .02.  I'll be the very first one to admit that, (personally at least), I could have handled things differently regarding how I interacted with others.  I'm very black and white, and my views, which might be a bit to the right of what younger generations believe, might show through at times.  I've been a member over there for quite a few years, and up until the time I was brutally attacked by member SB who then left and has since returned, I've enjoyed my time immensely.  Although the Mods did an exemplary job and deleted the attack within a few seconds of being advised of it, for whatever reason, after that incident, my personal experience certainly seemed to take a rapid downhill slide in a very big hurry. 

I was publicly shamed by a couple of LSP Mods for discussions in a restricted access private internet chatroom that had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with LSP.

But this is about Smitty44 and his honor.  I believe Smitty44, who was also a member of that chat group, was punished for using common military expressions and tongue in cheek Americanisms in that chatroom as well.  His comments, at least the ones I saw,  were definitely taken out of context.   

I consider Smitty44 a very close friend, as is Harvey, Martin, and several others here as well, and they are all stand up guys who would give you the shirt off your back of they thought you needed it.  I feel that Smitty44 was given a bad rap, with his private off site comments were taken completely out of context, and he was punished based solely upon those out of context comments.  They all had their personal reasons for leaving, all I'm sure are quite different than mine.

Personally, Matt, just so you know, (not that it matters), I think you're a decent guy as well. A bit rash at times, but decent, well meaning and for the most part, levelheaded.  As I've publically stated ad nauseum, I have absolutely no beef whatsoever with LSP.  It's your ship, and you command, crew, and control it as you see fit, and accept the outcome of those decisions, as any good OIC does.

We're all grown men and we all love this hobby, as well as the friends we've made in this hobby.  Leaving LSP, for me at least, was a necessary thing to do.

Ernie

Oh, and TOS stands for "The Other Site". Nothing else, nothing sinister, it's just a term that I have used for decades.  It's obviously a military term, and was used for referring to microwave radio relay networking back in the 1970s and 80s.

3 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

Sir, I have no desire to debate anything  as I am sure it will become an argument. I am entitled to disagree with you, as you are with me, without having to try and prove it. I have reasons to think the way I do, and ask that you respect that.

That sounds completely reasonable and I'm sure you do have your reasons. Since you're talking about respect, I was just hoping that you might elaborate rather than implying I'm a "hater."  

1 minute ago, plasticdoc said:

That sounds completely reasonable and I'm sure you do have your reasons. Since you're talking about respect, I was just hoping that you might elaborate rather than implying I'm a "hater."  

That was a generalization and I was thinking of the group of mods as a whole, and actually you use that guy as your avatar so I threw it in there. I apologize if that bothered you. 

5 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

X2!  plasticdoc, a wholehearted welcome to LSM.

This issue to me at least, was dead and buried up until 15 minutes ago, so here's my .02.  I'll be the very first one to admit that, (personally at least), I could have handled things differently regarding how I interacted with others.  I'm very black and white, and my views, which might be a bit to the right of what younger generations believe, might show through at times.  I've been a member over there for quite a few years, and up until the time I was brutally attacked by member SB who then left and has since returned, I've enjoyed my time immensely.  Although the Mods did an exemplary job and deleted the attack within a few seconds of being advised of it, for whatever reason, after that incident, my personal experience certainly seemed to take a rapid downhill slide in a very big hurry. 

I was publicly shamed by a couple of LSP Mods for discussions in a restricted access private internet chatroom that had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with LSP.   I believe Smitty44, who was also a member of that chat group, was punished for using common military expressions and tongue in cheek Americanisms in that chatroom as well.  His comments, at least the ones I saw,  were definitely taken out of context.   

I consider Smitty44 a very close friend, as is Harvey, Martin, and several others here as well, and they are all stand up guys who would give you the shirt off your back of they thought you needed it.  I feel that Smitty44 was given a bad rap, with his private off site comments were taken completely out of context, and he was punished based solely upon those out of context comments. 

Personally, Matt, just so you know, (not that it matters), I think you're a decent guy as well. A bit rash at times, but decent, well meaning and for the most part, levelheaded.  As I've publically stated ad nauseum, I have absolutely no beef whatsoever with LSP.  It's your ship, and you command, crew, and control it as you see fit, and accept the outcome of those decisions, as any good OIC does.

We're all grown men and we all love this hobby, as well as the friends we've made in this hobby.  Leaving LSP, for me at least, was a necessary thing to do.

Ernie

Oh, and TOS stands for "The Other Site". Nothing else, nothing sinister, it's just a term that I have used for decades.  It's obviously a military term, and was used for referring to microwave radio relay networking back in the 1970s and 80s.

Ernie,

That all makes sense and is definitely in the spirit of an open conversation. It was not my intention to come over here and stir up trouble but I wanted to provide another perspective since it seems that, with each new convert, there is another round of shots at the "toxic culture" over at LSP, which I believe is unwarranted. Seems to me that LSM and LSP can both play nicely in the sandbox...

Just FYI - not sure who Matt is but it isn't me!

All the best guys and happy modeling!

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 minute ago, plasticdoc said:

Ernie,

That all makes sense and is definitely in the spirit of an open conversation. It was not my intention to come over here and stir up trouble but I wanted to provide another perspective since it seems that, with each new convert, there is another round of shots at the "toxic culture" over at LSP, which I believe is unwarranted. Seems to me that LSM and LSP can both play nicely in the sandbox...

Just FYI - not sure who Matt is but it isn't me!

All the best guys and happy modeling!

LOL, good deal.  Let's all be friends, OK?  It's a big world and we all can play together.   But please, hang around, you'll enjoy it. LSP may be home for you, but we're a good bunch here too. Feel free to cross post. :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

That was a generalization and I was thinking of the group of mods as a whole, and actually you use that guy as your avatar so I threw it in there. I apologize if that bothered you. 

I’m not sure what avatar you’re referring to. I have not selected an avatar. All I see is a P in a green box that I assumed was a generic avatar given to new members. Ernie referenced Matt as well in one of his posts so it seems that it seems there’s a case of mistaken identity going on here. Not sure why everyone thinks I'm over here masquerading as LSP_Matt, who I know uses that avatar. I'm just one of the regular LSP guys standing up for the crew over there.

7 minutes ago, Maxim said:

That would be Israeli as below:

image.png.9d796d1ed2ee5f2bb6b932c4a7c4f19d.png

They will only get name rank and serial number...................... and ANYTHING else they wanted........................ geez.....that's a little bit of alright , I'd say................. OR is it a sneaky enlistment tool, and they are actually all real mean old men when you sign the paper??

• Like 2