The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F4U-1D build

After all the hair pulling and cussing while TRYING to build that SOB Hobby Boss P-61 I have decided to get some really enjoyable build time for a change. Time for ANOTHER Corsair! Some of you already know my penchant for the Tamiya Corsairs as I've built NINE already from the -1, the -1A, and the -1D. :D This will be a nice change and I am more than ready for it.

9-11 002.jpg

• Like 8

After 9 of them John, who needs the instructions?  If and when I try one, YOU, my friend will be the first guy I ask questions of................. I'd like to do one in FAA , I always thought they looked cool with the clipped wing tips, and some had some neat cammo..... I will be following along, watching the Master at work .......:respect:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice to see the Corsairs are back John! 

I've only done two Corsairs (4 more to go) myself but Tamiya Spitfire #9 is on the bench at the moment. 

Like yourself, I like to use them as stress relief builds. 

Carl

Tamiya certainly does a great job. I wish some of the other manufacturer's would take note and make changes to the quality of their kits. I look forward to seeing your Spitfire. :)

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

After 9 of them John, who needs the instructions?  If and when I try one, YOU, my friend will be the first guy I ask questions of................. I'd like to do one in FAA , I always thought they looked cool with the clipped wing tips, and some had some neat cammo..... I will be following along, watching the Master at work .......:respect:

:) Jeff. Whenever you get to your build you will see why I really like the kit(s). Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to provide answers. :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Hey John, you know what I am going to say............I must finish mine...........another masterpiece in the making.......

Finish it up Phil. I'd love to see the model finished. :)

• Like 2

My tried and true procedure when starting a new build is to paint as many parts as possible on the sprue. This makes things easier as I go along. I can always touch up whatever areas need it like where parts are cut from the sprue. No problemo.

9-12-18 001.jpg

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Gee, I never knew you liked Corsairs?

I pulled up my easy chair and I'm ready and waiting. Just love following your builds.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Will be a very enjoyable build after fighting that P-61 tooth and nail. :)

I'm only a Corsair Greenhorn, I built just a Tamiya 1/32 Birdcage one, but I can tell you this will be a fun project. I rarely have seen such a combination of good fit and clever engineering. The only issues I had were with the Brassin engine I added and only because I wanted to build the cowlings removable. The Brassin cockpit I also used is a gem, but is it really neccesary? I don't think so, the supplied one is also bueno. Leaves the seat belts and the rubber wheels to exchange.

Some time ago I posted some photos of a 1a, it might be of help

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/4925-f4u-1a-national-naval-aviation-museum-pensacola-fl/

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

I'm only a Corsair Greenhorn, I built just a Tamiya 1/32 Birdcage one, but I can tell you this will be a fun project. I rarely have seen such a combination of good fit and clever engineering. The only issues I had were with the Brassin engine I added and only because I wanted to build the cowlings removable. The Brassin cockpit I also used is a gem, but is it really neccesary? I don't think so, the supplied one is also bueno. Leaves the seat belts and the rubber wheels to exchange.

Some time ago I posted some photos of a 1a, it might be of help

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/4925-f4u-1a-national-naval-aviation-museum-pensacola-fl/

Cheers Rob

Yes indeed, it's a great kit and enjoyable to build. :) Great photos!

• Like 2