The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F4U-1D build

Uh oh. I see the a/c I intended to build had a -1A canopy. That means I'll have to make another choice as I don't want to put a -1A canopy on the model. Or maybe I'll go on and use the frameless one. Could be that at some point that a/c had one installed. Thanks for the photo Martin.

There are several things to look out for when building a -1D Corsair. They include what type canopy (some early -1D's used the -1A canopy), rocket stubs or no rocket stubs (appears early -1D's didn't have 'em), and the cutout step on the right inboard flap. A great reference is Dana Bell's two books on the Corsairs.

• Like 3

Looking great John... Thanks for letting me know the sprue codes that come with the D the other day. I managed to source the sprues and turn my extra A into a D! I have two more on order at Luckymodel at the moment for my planned diorama. Just waiting for them to have another sale on so I can grab the Brassin sets I want. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Looking great John... Thanks for letting me know the sprue codes that come with the D the other day. I managed to source the sprues and turn my extra A into a D! I have two more on order at Luckymodel at the moment for my planned diorama. Just waiting for them to have another sale on so I can grab the Brassin sets I want. 

Thanks Dave! That sounds like a good plan.

21 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

John, after building mine, I realize why you love these so much, these things fall together like legos without fitting or sanding. Leaves you to be creative with paint.

Yes, they are enjoyable builds as are the P-51's and Spitfires. I just wish they would do a couple of F6F Hellcats. :)

• Like 3