The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F4U-1D build

15 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

John, you should start a post and post a pic of each of your corsairs, I would love to see them all.

boy, if Tamiya ever releases a F4U-4 or 5, they will make a mint off of you alone!

Thanks. Not a bad idea about posting pics of all my Corsairs. Stay tuned! :)

• Like 2

HI John

Inspiration as always and your '1D' looks fantastic. Sure hope my 'luck' hasn't rubbed off on you by putting a Corsair to the side before finishing.

After we talked, I decided I needed a mojo build as the Lone Star resin for the Little Boeing was horrible and something I just didn't want to beat my aching head against the wall over, took your advice and have my Tamiya 1D on the way with a tad of AM (wheels and fabric seatbelts), plus a Cutting Edge decal sheet for a finish.

Looking forward to your latest project before returning to the Corsair.

Peter ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

HI John

Inspiration as always and your '1D' looks fantastic. Sure hope my 'luck' hasn't rubbed off on you by putting a Corsair to the side before finishing.

After we talked, I decided I needed a mojo build as the Lone Star resin for the Little Boeing was horrible and something I just didn't want to beat my aching head against the wall over, took your advice and have my Tamiya 1D on the way with a tad of AM (wheels and fabric seatbelts), plus a Cutting Edge decal sheet for a finish.

Looking forward to your latest project before returning to the Corsair.

Peter ;)

Thanks Peter. Painting and decaling are completed so now it's weathering time. I don't plan to do a lot of weathering. Should be finished in the next couple of days. I really look forward to seeing your Corsair come together. :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

A couple of items, 

John that must be one of the shortest “whole deal, rest for awhile “ , a whole day.......

Looking forward to your Corsair, with you guys I reckon I dare not put any of my pics up.......

Go on and post some photos. We'd love to see your model. :)

• Like 1

All done with this one. You just can't beat the Tamiya Corsairs for enjoyable builds. I had intended to build this one as a Navy bird (hence the folded wings) but changed my mind to do a Marine a/c at Okinawa. After market items are Barracudacast wheels and cockpit placards. Otherwise it's OOB. I used masks to paint the national insignia but other markings are decals. The GSB is Model Master Glossy Sea Blue enamel. I didn't to go overboard with weathering but I tried to do at least some (but not too much!). I hope y'all like it! :)

Oops! I guess this should go in RFI. Will the mods please fix that? Thanks!

10-16 001.jpg

10-16 002.jpg

10-16 003.jpg

10-16 004.jpg

10-16 005.jpg

10-16 006.jpg

• Like 8

Can't get enough of these Corsairs, specially when they look that great. The finish looks nice and supersmooth a clear winner. I have to get me a second one after building the Birdcage some years ago. I tried to convince me that one is enough, because I prefer the three tone camo, but when I see yours, I have do a late one with folded wings for a change.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Can't get enough of these Corsairs, specially when they look that great. The finish looks nice and supersmooth a clear winner. I have to get me a second one after building the Birdcage some years ago. I tried to convince me that one is enough, because I prefer the three tone camo, but when I see yours, I have do a late one with folded wings for a change.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob. They are addictive! They seem to be multiplying like rabbits in my display cases! LOL :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Aces on the Corsair - terriffic build as always and the finish is superb!  Whose masks did yoy use for the national insignias as I like to give them a shot ( talk anout being lazy on my part and not going back and finding the info);)

Peter

Thanks Peter. I used Montex masks. :)

• Like 1