The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Curtis P-40 production line, building 7 at once!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

Amazing work, man.  My limit of the same type is two... 

But I have only 1 P-40 kit.  That needs to have a little oil canning. 

Kinda nervous about starting, really.

I think I would reconsider doing 7 again, maybe 3-4 at once. 7 takes a LOT of bench space. Although I will still argue that it’s more efficient to build 7 at once, even if it takes me 6 months, that’s still a better than one a month average. Last year I built 4 LSP’s, this year (2018), I built 4 by June, but have not finished any since then. I started a WNW kit that is 60% done, and I have the 7 P-40’s on the bench, and I recently added 2 zeros. If I can actually get the P-40’s done this year, with one Zero, I will have finished 12 on 2018. Which would be a very good year for me. 2019 is going to be the year of Multi engines, Cold War jets, and helicopters.

• Like 4

I don't count how many I complete a year.  But I really need to get cracking on my P-40.  It needs to be show ready by 24 August.   I want it to look like this:

nSfVXJ.jpg

So much to undo the work of the mad rivetter.

Gaz

• Like 5

13 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

That is so beautiful...are you doing foil? I have no clue how to do foil, I had tried years ago with the big metal foil sheets, it was a disaster. For me, I would probably do good old Alclad chrome, not perfect but acceptable.

Yes, I'm going to foil it.  It's really much easier than you might think.  I start with a piece of the thinnest, cheapest foil that is about 5"X7", apply the glue to the back side then let it dry.  Then I cut for each separate panel unless there are small panels together with no complex curves.  Once when foiling a 1/48 B-29 (that I never completed) I needed some pieces that were over 8" long, and they were a bit fiddly.  If you ever get the urge again, let me know, and I'll show you where I started.

You fellas that can get a suitable finish from Alclad and other metalized paints impress the hell out of me.  But my non-foil metal painting has been rather lackluster.  I still use foil for oleos.

Gaz

• Like 3

• Members
On 11/30/2018 at 10:33 PM, GazzaS said:

I don't count how many I complete a year.  But I really need to get cracking on my P-40.  It needs to be show ready by 24 August.   I want it to look like this:

nSfVXJ.jpg

So much to undo the work of the mad rivetter.

Gaz

I actually enjoyed doing my Trumpeter P-40, just watch the upper cowl it's a little tricky.  Some aftermarket exhausts would be nice for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikester said:

I actually enjoyed doing my Trumpeter P-40, just watch the upper cowl it's a little tricky.  Some aftermarket exhausts would be nice for it.

I agree, its a better fitting kit that the Hasegawa, the Trump P-40 was easier and quicker, just don't waste any time painting anything other than the top of the engine if you will have a lift off cowl, you cant see any detail below it..

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...