The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

B-25J "Fatso"

I was excited to start my first build thread here, and what's more large scale than a big twin? I've been itching to build a B-25 for awhile since my favorite childhood model was a B-25.  I have the HK Strafer with extra glass nose, and flip flopped on which version to build.   In the end I was drawn to "Fatso", a B-25J Strafer.  Thus far is mostly planning and starting to prime the clear fuselage so I can see it better.  I picked up a little reference material too.  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

20180922_163352.jpg

20180922_163720.jpg

20180922_163702.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks guys.  Probably seeing the numerous builds has spurred me into building this, especially as practice for a B-24....

I went ahead and purchased a pair of "normal" non-clear fuselage halves after some serious consideration of what it will be like dealing with that clear pair.  I figured that would help me tremendously. 

For now, I need to keep hammering away on my P-47.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, JohnB said:

That will be a real "looker". I added everything but the kitchen sink on my strafer a while back. Well worth the effort. :)

I haven't decided on extras yet.  Certainly Model Master barrels, but past that I'm not sure.

• Like 4

I'm trying to not spend too much on this kit, yet that seems to be failing miserably.   I've now got another fuselage pair, decals, g-factor gear, brassin wheels, 15 model master barrels, and hopefully after hearing back from Harold his props coming. Ouch.

• Like 2

Exterior detail is good. Cent see much in the wheel wells. If loading the bombs, you won't see much there either. The pit is an open canvas. Although you can't see much, more detail there helps because of all the glass. I think most of my effort will be spent on weathering the outside. My .02 cents....... Harv

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, harv said:

Exterior detail is good. Cent see much in the wheel wells. If loading the bombs, you won't see much there either. The pit is an open canvas. Although you can't see much, more detail there helps because of all the glass. I think most of my effort will be spent on weathering the outside. My .02 cents....... Harv

My thoughts exactly.   I'm planning on closing the bomb bay, and theres not a ton of interior visible.  I'll focus on the outside as well.

• Like 1

yes, i got a pair of the HK gear, which I believe are G-factor made. Its a definite improvement. 

By the way, I order both a set of Brassin and True Details tires and wheels. Did you know that they use different treads? Might be important if you are making a specific aircraft. 

IMG_1637.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

• Like 3