The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

12 Strong

harv

On 9/24/2018 at 11:48 PM, Jeff said:

Have we won that fight yet?? I keep hearing it's all over and then the next day the fight is back on, personally I don't think it will ever really be over, just my :huh:

It's still very much in flux. My Brother-in-Law is going to Afghanistan shortly for an extended stay, he's regular Army Signals and has had a Combat refresher course recently. His Fiancé is expecting their first child in February next year.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Wumm said:

It's still very much in flux. My Brother-in-Law is going to Afghanistan shortly for an extended stay, he's regular Army Signals and has had a Combat refresher course recently. His Fiancé is expecting their first child in February next year.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought....my son did two tours over there with the Canadian Army..............when you see your Brother in law, thank him for his service from Cathy and me.....tell him God speed and be safe, keep us posted as to his progress, and the new mom to be as well....

• Like 6

Our neighbour lost her brother to friendly fire when he was posted there. It really hits home for her whenever Remembrance Day comes around. Unfortunately it's no longer a stat holiday in Ontario but my wife and I both go to Queen's Park and attend the service there. It's the least we can do.

Carl

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Our neighbour lost her brother to friendly fire when he was posted there. It really hits home for her whenever Remembrance Day comes around. Unfortunately it's no longer a stat holiday in Ontario but my wife and I both go to Queen's Park and attend the service there. It's the least we can do.

Carl

No longer a STAT for Nov 11????????????????????????????????? Carl, are you kidding, first I have heard of that.... May Doug and Justy had better get their S@#t together, that is reprehensible ! No wonder our vets can't get any services...........that is disgusting...................oh I had better stop or I will find my self in deep trouble here........  Again Cathy and I thank him for his service and his ultimate sacrifice, please pass that on to your neighbor for us, Carl......

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Wumm said:

His Fiancé is expecting their first child in February next year.

The timing couldn't be any better. Hope he'll be back by then. 

Please thank him for his service and godspeed!

"Uncle Ivan, what did you do before 2011?"

tY8XsBM.jpg

Ivan (on the right) doing things, undisclosed location, Afghanistan, 2009.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

No longer a STAT for Nov 11????????????????????????????????? Carl, are you kidding, first I have heard of that.... May Doug and Justy had better get their S@#t together, that is reprehensible ! No wonder our vets can't get any services...........that is disgusting...................oh I had better stop or I will find my self in deep trouble here........  Again Cathy and I thank him for his service and his ultimate sacrifice, please pass that on to your neighbor for us, Carl......

If you're federal, you get it off but not in Ontario. When I worked at a bank, we had it off as we followed federal guidelines. 

I agree that it should be a mandatory holiday so hopefully they'll change it.

Carl

• Like 4

10 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

If you're federal, you get it off but not in Ontario. When I worked at a bank, we had it off as we followed federal guidelines. 

I agree that it should be a mandatory holiday so hopefully they'll change it.

Carl

I would hope they would and make it mandatory that the kids attend the ceremony, I guess Justy and Doug are too busy with 'other things' ...:rofl:

• Like 2

Jeff, Ivan, everyone...

Thank you for your concern and gratitute (and your own service Ivan) , I will pass it along with my own when I see him next. 

He recently re-upped in exchange for a transfer back from up North, so she will have plenty of family support when Baby arrives.

The Army seems to look after their people much better these days. One of my earliest memories is of not being able to sleep as a 5 year old in '72, because the kitchen light was always on all night next door... Mum said it was because the young Man next door couldn't sleep at night 'because of the War', and not to bring it up with him. It's only later that the full extent of what that meant exactly came into focus for me. 

Don't think I've given away anything I shouldn't have here. No names, no pack drill. Never know who's watching.

Thanks again Guys

• Like 5

• Administrators

I’m way too old to have dealt with the pesky place called Asscrackistan, but we had our own special places in the early 80s, like Cyprus and especially the Golan. 

But I did have the (dis)honor of training the very first Canadian casualty over there. Not cool.

For the rest of you dogfaces, thank you for your Service, including my former Warsaw Pact friends during the early 80s, it’s so much better meeting over Famous Grouse or Stolichnaya. You kept us all employed for years. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
On 9/23/2018 at 9:10 PM, harv said:

Just watched this. Very well done move about Special Forces ODA 595. Very first strikes against the Taliban after 911. I recommend it. 2018....... Harv

Russia couldn’t crack the place in the 70s, and we can’t now.  To me, it’s nothing but a pimple on the south side of a northbound dog.

• Like 4